1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

% seats left?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by lala83, Mar 1, 2007.

1. lala83

lala83 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey all,
    i'm new to this forum, after having multiple US med school rejections, i'm looking towards the 3 big caribbean schools. i was wondering if anyone had an idea of how full the classes of st george's, auc, and ross were. is it too late to send in an app now for the fall?
    thanks for the help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DRWHY

2+ Year Member

Why don't you look at SABA?

As far as I know SGU still working in progress so you can apply. Although I would not go to neither of these three.

4. lala83

lala83 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i haven't heard much about SABA, but i'll be looking into it now. but why do you say that you wouldn't go to any of these? any feedback would be MUCH appreciated.

5. KBoogie311

KBoogie311 Gettin' Down Wit..
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

I graduated from SGU in 2003 - the graduates from this place are doing great. I can't speak in detail about the other schools but generally Ross and SABA are the same situation.

Apply no matter what. Even if you have to wait 6 months to go it won't be a big deal. I was accepted to an August Class in Ross in 1998 and a Jan Class at SGU in 1999. I elected to wait until 1999 to go to SGU. My applications went out at around this time as well. Granted its 9 years later....and the application environment is dramatically different than it was when I applying.

No need to wait or hesitate regardless of the class acceptance. Especially if things aren't working out around here and you want to be a physician.

-KBoogie311

6. DRWHY

2+ Year Member

I know I will be bitten for what I am going to say, that is why I would like to say that it is only my own opinion!

Pre-history: I was accepted in all 4 of them: SGU, AUC, ROSS and SABA.

My stat are higher than all of these schools need (MCAT is not that high for US medical schools and I applied very late; and I do not want to go to the DO although had a chance!)

AUC - accepted me w/o interview, school is pricey as well as the island; have to rent (expansive), need a car, island is not very safe, etc.

ROSS - not safe island/bad living conditions, school also pricey, admission people not very nice too, in my opinion is the worst school among so called big 4

SGU - hate admission people/process, unreasonably overpriced; bad living conditions/ high crime on the island, have to rent outside for at least 1 semester; bad food at the cafeteria, huge class size, and so far and so on, but mainly because of the rudeness of the admission and extremely high tuition

SABA - nice admission people, honest head of clinical department, school building new dorms (no need to rent outside unless you have a family), very safe island, low tuition, small class size (I am usually doing pretty well in small institutions), very good step I preparation, same clinical as AUC, ROSS and SGU.

I don't want to pay off my loans until I will be dead :(.
    For SABA I don't need to take loans at all. Why spend a lot of money for the same type of education but in much better environment? :)
    I understand when people paying for Harvard, but definitely not for SGU!

Like I said, this is just my opinion, no need to get upset and argumentative.

7. KBoogie311

KBoogie311 Gettin' Down Wit..
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    None taken. Enjoy SABA.

8. smileyj

smileyj New Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Like Drwhy, i too did a load of research before finally making my decision as to where to attend. But, in my case I chose SGU. I found SGU to be very helpful in answering my questions about school/island/etc. Some of the others schools either gave me a very vague/run around answer, or never returned my calls or emails. I talked w/many graduates from all four schools, and in the end I felt SGU was the right school for me. Not everyone will have the same opinions, so you have to do the research yourself, get the answers to your questions and then make an informed choice. Because if you just go by what others think or say, you may be very disappointed w/your decision in the end.

9. SabaMed

2+ Year Member

You can't go wrong with any of the top four but SGU is still the best of the bunch.

10. lala83

lala83 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks for all the responses guys! you've all been very helpful, and this is a great start for me to springboard off of. did you guys call each of the schools to get more info? or is there another website where you can hear from students that are currently at these schools/alums?

11. peppy6

peppy6 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lala83: St. George is great about getting you connected w/ current students and/or alumns to ask them questions about the school. I am also applying to the school right now and have been emailing some students back and forth and they have been extremely helpful. If you go on their website you should be able to find a list of people or a number you can call to get in touch w/ someone. I have learned a great deal about the school through my emails with these students so I think that'd be a good thing to do for you as well! Good luck!

12. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As of last week AUC still has a few seats left for May. This is info from a school rep.