Seattle/Tacoma Anesthesia Jobs

Started by Lochmoor
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lochmoor

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just starting a preliminary job search in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I am 10 years out of training with pedi fellowship, looking for a pedi anesthesia job or mixed adult/pediatric position.

Does anyone more local to the area have any input on good groups to work for? Specifically, I am wondering if anyone has any information about TAA—Tacoma Anesthesia Associates.

Thanks
 
St Michaels Silverdale/Bremerton is looking. Geographically close to Seattle but quite distant to commute and socially/culturally.
Make sure it’s right for you as there are no commutable options if things don’t work out!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sent a DM. South Sound is a great place to work and live. I'm born and raised in Seattle. I really do love Seattle but to me Seattle is perpetually congested, not my cup of tea, definitely not for everyone. Just unreasonable amounts of traffic and homelessness.

Fake news that they all suck. I can confirm this is not the case.
 
I did the reverse commute to Tacoma from Seattle, which was tolerable. 35-50 minutes each way, but would not do it again.
However, the locums at SJMC are getting 375-400/hr and you can really just rake it in by going full-time locums there.
 
Sounds like a bad rate to work at the dump that is st joes
you get paid 400/hr for overnight call. so each call is paying you roughly 5k, plus the 4k of day work.
If you. can stomach being on call every other day and game the system a little bit, you can theroetically clear 35-40k per week, if you include weekend coverage. 2 weeks of that would give you 4 weeks of M-F no call locums jobs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is UW really $350k 4 weeks off? That seems unbelievably bad…maybe there some “after hours” or call pay that gets added on top? Extra weeks off for continuing education?
 
Is UW really $350k 4 weeks off? That seems unbelievably bad…maybe there some “after hours” or call pay that gets added on top? Extra weeks off for continuing education?
From what I’ve seen that is a typical starting salary for an assistant level and the package probably come out close to 500k total. That seems to be the case for most academic places across the country. You likely can bump the salary by taking extra call and I would assume if you do thinks to get promoted to or associate or full prof you probably get a bump a well, but you have to do the things to get those promotions. As its show you have to really want to do academics especially if you can go down I-5 and make double the money and get double the time off , although at what seems to be a slightly unstable hospital
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why would they need locums when they pay that much
They got in a contract dispute with original PP group. Booted the PP group, were unable to staff ORs, shut down OB. At one point they were paying huge sums for locums. It was discussed in this forum in the past, not sure where…Hospital was (is?) a total disaster.
 
Is UW really $350k 4 weeks off? That seems unbelievably bad…maybe there some “after hours” or call pay that gets added on top? Extra weeks off for continuing education?
Correction. I was mistaken. Its 412K for starting jobs as assistant professor:

From what I’ve seen that is a typical starting salary for an assistant level and the package probably come out close to 500k total. That seems to be the case for most academic places across the country. You likely can bump the salary by taking extra call and I would assume if you do thinks to get promoted to or associate or full prof you probably get a bump a well, but you have to do the things to get those promotions. As its show you have to really want to do academics especially if you can go down I-5 and make double the money and get double the time off , although at what seems to be a slightly unstable hospital

See above.

I keep getting locums contacts for one of the places in Tacoma. Not sure if it's Joe's or TAA. The recruiter for Joe's rubbed me the wrong way.
Yeah hes an imbecile.

Why would they need locums when they pay that much
Pacific Anesthesia group got booted because they didnt want to pay the subsidy to keep the anesthesiology compensation competitive since they are collections-based + subsidy (production based).

She was a total joke.
Name? I think the recruiter for Joes is a guy.

They got in a contract dispute with original PP group. Booted the PP group, were unable to staff ORs, shut down OB. At one point they were paying huge sums for locums. It was discussed in this forum in the past, not sure where…Hospital was (is?) a total disaster.
They screwed the pooch so bad, they lost nearly 50 million in locums costs.
Apparently their interrim medical director also got booted and escorted out (allegedly) and now works at some other hospital.

See who the highest paid docs are in 2024 and 2025. Hint: its not the neurosurgeon or the EP doc. Its the medical director for anesthesia LOL.

I'm sure Seattle Times or another news outlet would be happy to look into this.
 
Correction. I was mistaken. Its 412K for starting jobs as assistant professor:



See above.


Yeah hes an imbecile.


Pacific Anesthesia group got booted because they didnt want to pay the subsidy to keep the anesthesiology compensation competitive since they are collections-based + subsidy (production based).


Name? I think the recruiter for Joes is a guy.


They screwed the pooch so bad, they lost nearly 50 million in locums costs.
Apparently their interrim medical director also got booted and escorted out (allegedly) and now works at some other hospital.

See who the highest paid docs are in 2024 and 2025. Hint: its not the neurosurgeon or the EP doc. Its the medical director for anesthesia LOL.

I'm sure Seattle Times or another news outlet would be happy to look into this.
Took them long enough to catch on to his tricks lol
 
Last edited:
Correction. I was mistaken. Its 412K for starting jobs as assistant professor:



See above.


Yeah hes an imbecile.


Pacific Anesthesia group got booted because they didnt want to pay the subsidy to keep the anesthesiology compensation competitive since they are collections-based + subsidy (production based).


Name? I think the recruiter for Joes is a guy.


They screwed the pooch so bad, they lost nearly 50 million in locums costs.
Apparently their interrim medical director also got booted and escorted out (allegedly) and now works at some other hospital.

See who the highest paid docs are in 2024 and 2025. Hint: its not the neurosurgeon or the EP doc. Its the medical director for anesthesia LOL.

I'm sure Seattle Times or another news outlet would be happy to look into this.
I don’t remember. But worthless. Spoke to the chief of cardiac anesthesia at the time and he was genuinely nice and presented a job with lots of structural including mitral which I really enjoy. He put me in touch with her. She completely spaced on our first meeting. The second one she was doing at a grocery store or something. Offered $350 “max” blah blah blah… which was total BS and I walked only to get $475 with a locums agency.
Shortly after, cardiac comp went up substantially for a full time position but I had a feeling it was transitioning and still a dump fire so I moved on. I may be mixing locums gigs up but I believe Franciscan/VM had just merged.
 
Last edited:
When it was Pacific Anesthesia I also spoke to the director of cardiac and he was certainly a genuine person. It was during the pandemic so there were obviously barriers but I was really ready to pack my things and move up there and then once the pandemic started to resolve they broke off with Pacific. I got a feeling Pacific wasn't being unreasonable.

The new recruiter that works Commonspirit/VM really boiled my blood because I was constantly seeing the locums adds and getting calls so when I applied it took him like 3 months to respond and say "Oh. Your qualifications don't match." I was like "Bro, for a bread and butter cardiac job a person who is board certified, TEE certified, and even ACA certified with 15 years experience doesn't have qualifications?" Give me a break.
 
Correction. I was mistaken. Its 412K for starting jobs as assistant professor:



See above.


Yeah hes an imbecile.


Pacific Anesthesia group got booted because they didnt want to pay the subsidy to keep the anesthesiology compensation competitive since they are collections-based + subsidy (production based).


Name? I think the recruiter for Joes is a guy.


They screwed the pooch so bad, they lost nearly 50 million in locums costs.
Apparently their interrim medical director also got booted and escorted out (allegedly) and now works at some other hospital.

See who the highest paid docs are in 2024 and 2025. Hint: its not the neurosurgeon or the EP doc. Its the medical director for anesthesia LOL.

I'm sure Seattle Times or another news outlet would be happy to look into this.


Damn. $2.9 mil is more than 2X the chair at our local academic place.
 
350K UW. 4 weeks off.
650K St. Joseph Medical Center Tacoma. 10 weeks off
750K Tacoma Anesthesia. 10 weeks off
Multiple former residents in Tacoma who sound really happy with their gig. Though, I don't know which group. They've all joined in the last couple years.
 
Last edited:
One thing to note is the UW job includes generous benefits. I know for a fact that one of the higher paying jobs listed above includes truly zero benefits. Between that and the hours sometimes the difference isn't so shocking once all that is taken into account.
 
Out of curiosity, what is Matrix paying nowadays? I remember it was the most popular spot for UW/VM grads since they’re the primary group on the east side. When I checked a few years ago, starting pay was pretty mid compared to compensation today and they received no stipends from Overlake or Evergreen.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It’s certainly not for me. I think everyone who works there works some fraction of an FTE in order to get more vacation. That, plus some academic days might make for an okay schedule.
I would imagine there are some two MD households or “spouse in tech” households to be able to live in in Seattle with bit of satisfaction and coming home with less than 400k. Seattle isn’t the Bay Area but it’s also certainly not cheap.
 
One thing to note is the UW job includes generous benefits. I know for a fact that one of the higher paying jobs listed above includes truly zero benefits. Between that and the hours sometimes the difference isn't so shocking once all that is taken into account.
Can you go into these benefits in detail??

I’ve looked at both UW and TAA, which you mentioned with the zero benefits. Looking at the compensation structure, there is a 300 K difference and six weeks of vacation time that you are trading away for these “generous benefits.”

While TAA may not provide you with benefits, and you pay for it pre-tax, every model that I have ran shows that it comes out ahead because of the ability to max your 401(k) and production based compensation.

They also get pre-and post called days off, which basically equates to 3.5 days of work per week on average.
4 weeks vaca is slavery
forever a resident lol!

Its certainly not for me. I think everyone who works there works some fraction of an FTE in order to get more vacation. That, plus some academic days might make for an okay schedule.
Becoming a fraction of an FTE defeats the whole purpose of the comparison. You’re taking even less than the 412 K when you reduce your FTE to get more time off. At that rate, you’re making less than a CRNA, which is embarrassing.