Second-author in "Nature" pub equivalent for Econ field. How to communicate research experience in social sciences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cornerless

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I co-authored a paper and it was accepted into the Journal of Political Economy. It is considered one of the top five peer-reviewed journals in economics and getting a paper published in the "Top Five" is considered to be a career accomplishment that impacts tenure and promotion decisions in the Econ field.

I have heard that many of the top schools place an emphasis on meaningful research experience and having a publication in the equivalent "top five" of science journals is a wow factor. However, I am aware that people outside of Econ may not be familiar with the well-respected journals in the field. So I am wondering how to communicate the ranking of the journal without trying to over-inflate it and come across as big-headed. Also, do adcoms care about published research in the social sciences?

Members don't see this ad.

Make an entry for publications in the work/activities section. Write “I co-authored the following paper in what is considered one of the top economic journals.” Provide citation.

Don’t compare it to Nature.

Published by the University of Chicago Press. Impressive.

You are right that most people in medicine are ignorant to the ranking of this journal. Ideally, one of your mentors, letter writers, or committee letter can educate adcoms on the significance of your work. It would not be immodest for them to state that this is the #2 / #3 journal in economics, and that this would be considered tenure track material for most academic economists.

In your description of this activity, you could consider mentioning how your team's work ultimately cumulated in a publication in the Journal of Political Economy, which is one of the oldest and most highly-regarded journals in the field of Economics. Or something like that. The key is to remain modest as you mentioned, and the major focus should still be to emphasize the skills and lessons that you learned from this research experience, and how they may be applied to your career in medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both for your replies. Moko, I appreciate the perspective on passing the baton to my letter writer and just commenting briefly on the journal in my W/A section.

Reactions: 2 users