Second Bachelors or Second Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedQu33n

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for helping me out!

A little background, I went to undergrad and graduated in 2009 with a Psychology degree. I had a 2.9. I only took about 5 science courses (As in all of them). 2 math courses (C and B). Then I went to grad school - 4.0 with that degree (no sciences). Now I've decided to stop running from my dream of becoming a doctor. I was originally pre-med in undergrad but after I was nearly killed by an ex-bf, my grades took a nose-dive for about 2 semesters until I started seeing a psychologist for trauma (nose-dive was for the two first semesters of ugrad - I did pretty well after that but still was not able to fully recover). SO, I switched to Psychology because I didn't think I had a chance making it in (and didn't know about this site!).

My question is...should go for a second bachelor's degree or a master's degree? My alma mater, University of Florida does not offer second bachelor's degrees, so that leaves FIU, FGCU, USF and FAU...maybe also UCF and FSU but I'm not sure.

A little additional information...after completing pre-reqs, I'm planning on applying to all FL Medical schools, Nova's COM and Morehouse and Howard (I'm an URM and would love to go there as well). In addition to these, I will also be applying to FSU's bridge program.

Thanks for all who can assist. :)

Members don't see this ad.

A second bachelors would be a waste of time and money. Just get the pre-reqs and some upper level bios that will help on the MCAT and/or that are needed for admissions.

This would put you in the "Non-Matrculating Post-Bacc" category.

1) You don't need a second degree at all. You just need to do well in the prerequisite coursework (2 semesters each of bio, general chemistry, orgo, and physics, and for many schools, at least a semester each of biochem, genetics, math, behavioral science, and English).
2) Med school prerequisites are generally taught at the undergraduate, not the graduate, level. A master's degree is unlikely to do the trick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry - I should have said this...I was looking at a Biomedical Master's degree at UCF. It seems that it would gather the additional BCPM courses that I need. Other than Orgo 1 & 2 but I would be able to take those as electives, I think.

Don't waste your time with a second bachelors or your money with a second masters. Simply take the classes informally. Get that GPA at 3.3+ and a good MCAT and you'll get into a medical school as a URM, especially if you're african-american.

Thanks, everyone. That's exactly what I'm going to do - just take the pre-requisites. Thanks again for your assistance!

Don't waste your time with a second bachelors or your money with a second masters. Simply take the classes informally. Get that GPA at 3.3+ and a good MCAT and you'll get into a medical school as a URM, especially if you're african-american.

The only snag in this is that some places (we both know about CA, TPM, but maybe FL too) you have to have an appropriate amount of juice in the registration lottery to be able to pin down a seat in a pre-anything science class. Whatever your degree-seeking status, med schools will not care that you don't complete it. You have a degree? Check. You have the necessary prereqs? Check. No one cares what it says in small letters on the top/bottom of your transcript for degree status at your second-program school. So, investigate which type of degree-seeking status will get you higher on the registration pecking order and choose that one (IF it is hard to get into classes in FL or wherever.) Agree with the second part.

Thanks! That is really good advice. I hadn't considered that!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but masters level courses do not get factored into your AMCAS GPA. So it won't boost it. Do a post bacc or something to take your prereqs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but masters level courses do not get factored into your AMCAS GPA. So it won't boost it. Do a post bacc or something to take your prereqs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
You're right! After looking through a few forums, the only grad work that helps in any way with being admitted into medical school is the special master's programs.

So it would make sense for me to take prereqs and the MCAT, then apply to medical school. I'm also going to apply to SMPs that have bridge programs.