Second interview at Tufts or stick with BU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Second interview at Tufts or stick with BU?

• Second interview at Tufts

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Stick with BU

Votes: 21 67.7%

• Total voters

Kingfish23

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to BU and I'm incredibly grateful for this opportunity! However, I interviewed at Tufts in mid-October and my interview went fairly well. I was emailed on December 1st and invited to come for a 1-hour second interview at Tufts, which I have never heard of before. I really liked the modern feel of Tufts and enjoyed how friendly their students and faculty were. According to SDN, they have a much better reputation as well. As far as BU goes, they are about to begin renovations/construction on their dental school, which has an anticipated completion date in late 2019-early 2020. I was very fond of BU's commitment to digital dentistry and their smaller class size. Being that it is so expensive to travel to Boston, I'm hesitant to commit to a second interview with the chance of not being accepted. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I always thought BU had a better reputation but I can see that tufts is a bit more modern. If it were me I would just go to BU 100% but thats just my 2 cents. Either way CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I always thought BU had a better reputation but I can see that tufts is a bit more modern. If it were me I would just go to BU 100% but thats just my 2 cents. Either way CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I’ve heard great things about both schools, but a lot of the BU posts are a bit old and possibly outdated

Members don't see this ad :)
I thinks Tufts and BU both have some old posts on here, including some Tufts clinic scandals (which who knows if those are still true). Considering what I've read, I'd go for BU if I were you, like the commenter above!
Isn't there a 48-hour window to respond to the interview invite from Tufts anyway?

I thinks Tufts and BU both have some old posts on here, including some Tufts clinic scandals (which who knows if those are still true). Considering what I've read, I'd go for BU if I were you, like the commenter above!
Isn't there a 48-hour window to respond to the interview invite from Tufts anyway?
Thanks for the reply! I received the second interview for Tufts on Friday at about 6pm. I told them I was very interested and asked what dates were available. However after speaking with others I’m definitely liking BU more.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply! I received the second interview for Tufts on Friday at about 6pm. I told them I was very interested and asked what dates were available. However after speaking with others I’m definitely liking BU more.
Hey, no problem!! :) And good for you, you're going to dental school!! Congrats! I hope you like it at BU.
Now time to fill out financial aid.../cries

Hey, no problem!! :) And good for you, you're going to dental school!! Congrats! I hope you like it at BU.
Now time to fill out financial aid.../cries
Thank you! I'm very blessed and excited for this opportunity. That price tag scares me though :laugh:

i was accepted to tufts and loved the school. i know someone that goes to bu and said there are concerns with clinicals however they loved it regardless. id check out tufts but at the end of the day go where you like the most

Tufts offers second 1-hour interview??First time hearing about that, can you elaborate more on what this is?

Tufts offers second 1-hour interview??First time hearing about that, can you elaborate more on what this is?
They sent me an email saying “It was a pleasure meeting you during your recent visit to Tufts University School of Dental Medicine. While impressed with many aspects of your application, the Admissions Committee has determined that a second interview is necessary to fully evaluate your candidacy.”

Stick to BU.. as a Boston native/someone who knows those two programs well, you'll receive very similar clinical exposure and pay just about the same at each school. Honestly, if you can really see yourself at BU then why followup with Tufts?

Reactions: 3 users
Stick to BU.. as a Boston native/someone who knows those two programs well, you'll receive very similar clinical exposure and pay just about the same at each school. Honestly, if you can really see yourself at BU then why followup with Tufts?
That’s an awesome point of view. Thank you for your insight! I think my decision is made.

Reactions: 3 users
That’s an awesome point of view. Thank you for your insight! I think my decision is made.
I went to both schools and liked them both equally. I thought Tufts had nicer facilities, but the BU students seemed to have more scheduling freedom, which is nice.