Second Looks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

N2b8

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a thread on this? I want to know if it's worth my time (I'd fly west coast to east coast to do this), if it's too late, blah blah blah.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm.... Seems like in Internal Medicine in some places it's become an expected thing to do a second look, to show that you're interested. But I've never seen this mentioned for Anesthesia. Most residency programs I interviewed at said it's strictly for you, as they already have enough information to decide how to rank you.

I'm not doing second looks. There are a couple of programs that I'm not sure how to rank, that I think would be useful to do second looks at. However, with the travel and my current schedule, it's not reasonable to do, so I'm just sucking it up and deciding without the second look.

If it is for your benefit in deciding between a couple of programs, it might be worthwhile.

If you are trying to move your way up a program's rank list, then you are too late. 99% of programs will have their rank lists submitted by the end of this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a second look at one place because I was trying to decide between 2 programs as my #1 and needed to be reminded of some things - so it was strictly for my benefit not to suck up or whatever. So do a 2nd look if you need a second look - this topic has been discussed a million times though - you should do a search if you want.

This topic HAS been beaten to death. I'm sure you can find it in the archives. As I understand it, many programs have already made thier lists at this point, so it would really be for you. I did because I had some questions, but truth be told, it's probably better to get in touch with some residents on the phone and let your fingers do the walking... Even after shelling out cash for a second look, I found talking to the residents was at least equally as helpful.