Second Major after 4 years of athletics- help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relaxshacks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a year into a second major and greatly trying to improve my GPA and pursue a science major.
I played 4 years as a collegiate athlete, and graduated with a 2.95 gpa.. I was an all american athlete, and I only had thoughts on the now instead of the future. My major was communications.
I'm a year into a biology major as my second major. My science gpa right now is a 4.0, and I've really embraced studying and have enjoyed it tremendously. I believe my second major I can earn about a 3.6-3.8 gpa realistically and maybe higher.
I'm struggling seeing the end game knowing so many people have trouble getting in traditionally. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Similar story here. Seems like you're on the right track.

It's gonna take a while, make sure you're spending summers getting courses in to speed up the process and also get in some shadowing where you can fit it.

Shadowing and experience is absolutely necessary for getting in.

Get on board with research in bio department asap and try and finagle your way into someone's lab even though you may not yet be qualified. Put in time and get a publication.

you'll do well with that

On another note, what school are u at and how the heck u payin for it

Getting into a lab is something I didn't even think about at school yet, good idea. And, currently I'm at University of South Florida. I had a thing called florida prepaid that I didn't use since I was on scholarship. This covers a tiny amount of it, but I'm taking out some loans and working full time as well. I think I'll be in the hole an equal amount to regular students, as I was lucky enough to have my first degree paid for lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting into a lab is something I didn't even think about at school yet

University of South Florida.

There are tons of opportunities down there.

This is what I had someone say to me:
You cannot afford to post any grades that are not As. Do not put yourself in situations where there will be a lower-par grade. This refers to the MCAT as well.

From now on, set your situation up so everything you do, you are doing it right.

Email some physicians, find out if they will let you shadow them -- even if it is spread thin.

If you can afford it, try and work less so you can expedite meeting all of these stringent medical school requirements.

So a 2.95 with 120 hours is going to be very difficult to bring up, as you know. Even with all A's you'd be looking at a 3.5ish if you did that for 120 hours. I think you may be looking at an SMP, but other people will advise you better. I would get all A's in your prereqs, and I think you're supposed to take the MCAT before applying to SMPs. You are the type of applicant that has success if you can get your application read, but you may need an SMP to get it done. I would at least look into it.