Second MCAT 1 pt higher than first one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReginaZ0403

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just received my second MCAT score :508 (Physics&chem: 129, CARS: 123, Bio: 129, Psych: 127), one point higher than the first one that I took a month ago (507, Physics&chem: 127, CARS: 127, Bio: 127, Psych: 126). To be honest, I am usually good at CARS. However, I had an acute headache during the CARS section on my second MCAT, and I ended up not finishing this section. How should I convince medical schools that my worse than usual performance on CARS for the second time was just a fluke?

Members don't see this ad.

You can't. Schools are free to interpret multiple scores however they wish. The CARS drop in the second retake isn't good. Do not draw attention to MCAT scores anywhere in your application. And do not discuss them in interviews unless you are specifically asked.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone. I just received my second MCAT score :508 (Physics&chem: 129, CARS: 123, Bio: 129, Psych: 127), one point higher than the first one that I took a month ago (507, Physics&chem: 127, CARS: 127, Bio: 127, Psych: 126). To be honest, I am usually good at CARS. However, I had an acute headache during the CARS section on my second MCAT, and I ended up not finishing this section. How should I convince medical schools that my worse than usual performance on CARS for the second time was just a fluke?
You can't. If you had an acute headache and couldn't finish the section, you should have voided.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can't, unless you have a 3rd try at the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
That second CARS is low enough to start causing issues imo. I might try for a third attempt just because of that subsection, having the composite go up to ~512 would just be icing on the cake

It's too late to say this, but I have to ask: WHY DON'T YOU VOID EXAM. The medical school will definitely bring up this question as well.
You were clear that you didn't finish the CARS section, so this was a huge mistake in your judgement not to void the exam.
This mistake seems DEADLY FATAL in my perspective.

It is what it is at this point.

Other premeds can learn from this:

1) don't take the MCAT just one month after the other. Likely you won't have prepared enough to make a significant difference.

2) if you become ill during an exam, then void the exam.

It is what it is at this point.

Other premeds can learn from this:

1) don't take the MCAT just one month after the other. Likely you won't have prepared enough to make a significant difference.

2) if you become ill during an exam, then void the exam.
I need to keep this in mind

It's too late to say this, but I have to ask: WHY DON'T YOU VOID EXAM. The medical school will definitely bring up this question as well.
You were clear that you didn't finish the CARS section, so this was a huge mistake in your judgement not to void the exam.
This mistake seems DEADLY FATAL in my perspective.
I didn't void the exam because I studied very hard for it, and I thought I did well enough on CARS before my headache to compensate for the incomplete section. It was definitely a poor judgement. If I make a third attempt and do much better, is there still a chance for me to go to medical school? Will the 123 in CARS screw me over permanently?

I didn't void the exam because I studied very hard for it, and I thought I did well enough on CARS before my headache to compensate for the incomplete section. It was definitely a poor judgement. If I make a third attempt and do much better, is there still a chance for me to go to medical school? Will the 123 in CARS screw me over permanently?

It really can screw you permanently due to a poor judgement. 123 is too low and this is a huge downward trend. Really it seems very bad.
You can still apply a lot of DO schools and see where are your chances.