Second SMP (if guaranteed interview/linkage)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

journeytomed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is likely going to cause some backlash, but I was unable to find any information on it and I would genuinely would like to know as I am seriously considering this - if it doesn't look bad to med schools.

Has anyone ever done a second SMP, one with a linkage? I completed a Masters in Pharm last year (3.7 - bad 1st sem) ; however, I don't think this was a traditional SMP as there was no linkage whatsoever. I applied this cycle with no success. I plan to re-apply this upcoming year and continue my FT job; however would it be beneficial to do a second Masters, a formal SMP with a guaranteed linkage (interview if GPA > 3.5, MCAT > 27)?

I'm assuming it wouldn't look good to Adcoms even to the school through which I would be doing the SMP, but I would like to know from y'all as I would really like to try my shot at MD one more time this cycle (in addition to DO schools).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone can advise you without knowing any information about your application. But I'm not sure the possible reward would outweigh the tremendous cost of such a thing.

I don't think anyone can advise you without knowing any information about your application. But I'm not sure the possible reward would outweigh the tremendous cost of such a thing.

My apologies. I posted my stats a few days ago in the WAMC thread, didn't even think to post the here. They are below:

Stats:
3.42 cGPA, 2.85 sGPA (taking classes with the intention of increasing it to ~3.00 by Aug)
3.7 SMP GPA
MCAT 29 - 9/11/9 (1/15), 504 (6/15)
(taken twice already, both times did not study enough ~1 month, which is a huge red flag, aiming to retake end of May, scoring ~510 on practice tests so I'm confident I can bring it up.

Absolutely, cost will be definitely be a huge driving issue; however, if it is beneficial, I would be willing to consider it. I have qualified for fee waivers in the past, so I may be able to qualify for federal funding, not sure if it would apply for SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
My apologies. I posted my stats a few days ago in the WAMC thread, didn't even think to post the here. They are below:

Stats:
3.42 cGPA, 2.85 sGPA (taking classes with the intention of increasing it to ~3.00 by Aug)
3.7 SMP GPA
MCAT 29 - 9/11/9 (1/15), 504 (6/15)
(taken twice already, both times did not study enough ~1 month, which is a huge red flag, aiming to retake end of May, scoring ~510 on practice tests so I'm confident I can bring it up.

Absolutely, cost will be definitely be a huge driving issue; however, if it is beneficial, I would be willing to consider it. I have qualified for fee waivers in the past, so I may be able to qualify for federal funding, not sure if it would apply for SMP.
I see. Well first of all, you need to annihilate the MCAT. I would devote all energy to that for the time being. Your cGPA is passable but your sGPA is going to be a major thorn in your side. If you can raise that as much as possible and do considerably better on the MCAT, then I would apply broadly and mostly to DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I see. Well first of all, you need to annihilate the MCAT. I would devote all energy to that for the time being. Your cGPA is passable but your sGPA is going to be a major thorn in your side. If you can raise that as much as possible and do considerably better on the MCAT, then I would apply broadly and mostly to DO schools.

Yes, I definitely agree about the MCAT. I don't plan to retake it unless I'm scoring 512+ on practice exams. My AACOMAS cGPA is 3.65 and sGPA is 3.45 actually, so I'll definitely be applying broadly to DO schools. However, I'm inquiring about the SMP because I'd really like to try again to MD schools this cycle. If being in an SMP while applying to med schools would help my chances with MD schools, I would really like to try.

First of all, not all true SMPs are linkages. In fact many of the best ones (GT, BU, Tufts) aren't officially linkage programs.

Second, are you sure your program is an SMP? Can you let us know which one it is? Masters in Pharm doesn't sound like a SMP name. In any case, a 3.7 GPA is solid for an actual SMP. If you didn't get in it is because of you MCAT. Successful SMP applicants have >3.7 SMP and >33 MCAT.

Also in the case you actually attended an SMP, redoing an SMP is not really an option. It's a last ditch effort to do one in the first place. You don't get a second second-chance. But I wouldnt worry with the 3.7. I'd worry about the MCAT.

First of all, not all true SMPs are linkages. In fact many of the best ones (GT, BU, Tufts) aren't officially linkage programs.

Second, are you sure your program is an SMP? Can you let us know which one it is? Masters in Pharm doesn't sound like a SMP name. In any case, a 3.7 GPA is solid for an actual SMP. If you didn't get in it is because of you MCAT. Successful SMP applicants have >3.7 SMP and >33 MCAT.

Also in the case you actually attended an SMP, redoing an SMP is not really an option. It's a last ditch effort to do one in the first place. You don't get a second second-chance. But I wouldnt worry with the 3.7. I'd worry about the MCAT.

Thanks for your input piii! Sorry, I should've specified, it's quite a small program. Tulane Masters of Science in Pharmacology. Is this technically a true SMP? Definitely will be aiming for a >33 on the MCAT.

Would OP be kind of "sunk" based on the MCAT going down on the 2nd attempt? Can that be overcome?

Tulane's Website said:
One Year Masters Program in Pharmacology
  • A one year post-baccalaureate program leading to the MS degree in Pharmacology
  • Designed for those interested in improving their credentials to gain admission to a medical or dental school
  • Class size is maintained at less than 35 to create a more personal connection between students & faculty
  • Students in our MS program take the School of Medicine's Medical Pharmacology course along with 2nd year medical students
  • All other graduate courses are also taught within the School of Medicine by full time Medical School faculty
  • Successful performance will significantly improve ones credentials for applying to medical or dental school

For those interested.

Just do well on MCAT and apply as is.

Hi everyone,

This is likely going to cause some backlash, but I was unable to find any information on it and I would genuinely would like to know as I am seriously considering this - if it doesn't look bad to med schools.

Has anyone ever done a second SMP, one with a linkage? I completed a Masters in Pharm last year (3.7 - bad 1st sem) ; however, I don't think this was a traditional SMP as there was no linkage whatsoever. I applied this cycle with no success. I plan to re-apply this upcoming year and continue my FT job; however would it be beneficial to do a second Masters, a formal SMP with a guaranteed linkage (interview if GPA > 3.5, MCAT > 27)?

I'm assuming it wouldn't look good to Adcoms even to the school through which I would be doing the SMP, but I would like to know from y'all as I would really like to try my shot at MD one more time this cycle (in addition to DO schools).

Thank you!

Just do well on MCAT and apply as is.

this. your DO GPAs are solid and your SMP (if that's really what it is) should be good enough. do well on the MCAT and apply broadly to a lot of DO and some MD you think you may have a shot at (in-state, the ones that like reinvention, etc.). good luck

Also, OP, you should read this guys story if you want some motivation. He rocked it last year.

this. your DO GPAs are solid and your SMP (if that's really what it is) should be good enough. do well on the MCAT and apply broadly to a lot of DO and some MD you think you may have a shot at (in-state, the ones that like reinvention, etc.). good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Tulane's Pharm program is an SMP but there was an interesting story regarding someone who did it on here a couple years ago who posted about it.

They from what I remember(I couldnt find their MD app or profile) were a <3.0 cGPA 38+ MCAT applicant who aced the Tulane Pharm SMP program. They got into 5 MD schools so all went well but they actually called a couple schools that rejected them and a number of them basically said "We didnt know this program you did was an SMP. We just thought it was a regular masters program". Now for most schools all decisions are final but Wayne State once they found this out, re-evaluated the app and actually ended up accepting this person. They completely reversed their decision basically.

Overall though, yes Tulane's Pharm program is an SMP and people from it get into MD schools. The MCAT is your much bigger issue here: while it's worth noting the anecdote of somebody who went through that program a couple years ago, there's no point needlessly stressing over it. I dont recommend a second SMP at all here.

Tulane's Pharm program is an SMP but there was an interesting story regarding someone who did it on here a couple years ago who posted about it.

They from what I remember(I couldnt find their MD app or profile) were a <3.0 cGPA 38+ MCAT applicant who aced the Tulane Pharm SMP program. They got into 5 MD schools so all went well but they actually called a couple schools that rejected them and a number of them basically said "We didnt know this program you did was an SMP. We just thought it was a regular masters program". Now for most schools all decisions are final but Wayne State once they found this out, re-evaluated the app and actually ended up accepting this person. They completely reversed their decision basically.

Overall though, yes Tulane's Pharm program is an SMP and people from it get into MD schools. The MCAT is your much bigger issue here: while it's worth noting the anecdote of somebody who went through that program a couple years ago, there's no point needlessly stressing over it. I dont recommend a second SMP at all here.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=26233

I believe this is who you are referring to.

You definitely don't need a second SMP. I would focusing on raising your MCAT score.

You definitely don't need a second SMP. I would focusing on raising your MCAT score.

Yes thank you

It must have been in one of that guys posts on here then where he talked about how there were schools that told him he was screened out for htem not knowing that was an SMP and that all decisions were final.

Thank you for this, its very insightful and makes me feel a little better. I am very concerned with my 2.85 sGPA which is why I was considering a second SMP. This cycle, I am unsure if I was actually screened out at any schools due to I this below 3.0 sGPA or whether it was due to my overall application. I will note that Rush did send me an email shortly after I submitted their secondary stating that I did not meet their minimum requirements, which I'm assuming is than 3.0 sGPA requirement.

I was planning to take a few classes this summer to try and improve that 2.85 sGPA; however, that increase won't show on my transcripts until August. Should I wait to submit secondaries until after I complete (successfully) my summer classes and the transcript is submitted to AMCAS?