Secondaries and essays....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhillstr

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Jeez! They all want a personal essay and they all want something slightly different. I was wondering if there are any brave or gracious souls out there who would be willing to post or email me ([email protected]) a copy of an essay. I am just curious, every time I sit to write I get generic "I wanna be a doctor" crap. I do have a good narrative to start with but I get stuck. Also does anyone know if there are certain schools that might object to having the essay added to it on an additional piece of paper?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am just filling out my secondaries now and was wondering if someone could provide me with their old essay as a guideline. My email is [email protected]. Also, after reading secondaries for most schools i am little confused whether they are interested in knowing why i am interested in osteo vs allopahtic medicine or just medicine in general.

2. How much time should one spend on secondaries and is the time right now early in the game?

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now (or as early as possible) is definitely the time; admissions are on a rolling basis at most (all?) schools. Thus, the earlier you get your app in, the earlier you interview. The earlier you interview, the more seats will be available for you to fill. Maximize your odds! Get the 2nd-ary in as soon as you can.

Secondly (acually, in response to your first question), the schools are looking for *both* a) why medicine and b) why osteopathy. (see rhillstr's response to AZO's "Secondary Application Questions" listing)

In my essays, I simply went thru all the reasons why I am focused on becoming an osteopathic Primary Care Physician: academic performance, professional experience, life experience (don't leave it out!), and various skills/abilities that may make me unique among the pack. I didn't go for the stylized, ultra-creative ?ber-essay: my guess is that the admissions personnel are looking for unique, well-qualified people. Yes, an out-of-the-ordinary approach to an essay may get you a second look, but have all of the pertinent info there to back you up, as clearly and concisely as possible (wholly unlike this response!!!
smile.gif
)

Well said PB:
You hit the nail right on the head!