lexington251

5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I've drafted a response to the challenge prompt, but I'm not sure if it will be well received:

During my freshmen year of college I was pretty overwhelmed by academics, and also had to deal with my (ex)-girlfriend cheating on me over long-distance. I talk about overcoming that by building healthier habits, and pick up fitness as a hobby. I gained a lot of weight (was pretty underweight at the time), became a lot more fit, happy, and focused (which shows in my transcript).

Would this be a good response?? I don't want this to come off as arrogant or minor, because it had a significant impact on who I am today.

Dollo

2+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I would probably not directly talk about a cheating ex-girlfriend imho. I would maybe change the focus to being overwhelmed by academics, which lead to social problems (in lieu of girlfriend), creating the need to build better habits to balance everything. I actually plan on writing about a kind of similar experience, so I'm also wondering if the approach I'm suggesting is a good one.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
So I've drafted a response to the challenge prompt, but I'm not sure if it will be well received:

During my freshmen year of college I was pretty overwhelmed by academics, and also had to deal with my (ex)-girlfriend cheating on me over long-distance. I talk about overcoming that by building healthier habits, and pick up fitness as a hobby. I gained a lot of weight (was pretty underweight at the time), became a lot more fit, happy, and focused (which shows in my transcript).

Would this be a good response?? I don't want this to come off as arrogant or minor, because it had a significant impact on who I am today.

I would probably not directly talk about a cheating ex-girlfriend imho. I would maybe change the focus to being overwhelmed by academics, which lead to social problems (in lieu of girlfriend), creating the need to build better habits to balance everything. I actually plan on writing about a kind of similar experience, so I'm also wondering if the approach I'm suggesting is a good one.

The challenge here isnt simply just new at college , but include stressful personal relationships and reaction to that with weight gain. So its the combination of all three and the overcoming of them that makes it significant. The issue is presenting the romantic aspects in an appropriate professional manner. I would mention that but more in the line of distance than fidelity. In my head I see this as

The combination of problems overwhelms you and affects you academically
You take hold of each individually and work on them
you do so in a way that doesnt simply alleviate the issues but creates life long habits that may serve you well in future academic endeavors

And with any writing, see how it works. That's what the delete key is for

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.