Secondary Essay Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamj61

Fck'm Bucky
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question for everyone out there is how do you write an essay about how you want to a given school, when you really have no idea why. Specifically, I was just looking at Creighton's essay, and since I am not Catholic, I don't like Nebraska, and it is a midtier school, what the hell can I put on there besides "you guys are great in this ____ specialty."

This would be for all the people applying to 15 schools, and not really knowing a lot about some of them.

Members don't see this ad.

adamj61 said:
My question for everyone out there is how do you write an essay about how you want to a given school, when you really have no idea why. Specifically, I was just looking at Creighton's essay, and since I am not Catholic, I don't like Nebraska, and it is a midtier school, what the hell can I put on there besides "you guys are great in this ____ specialty."

This would be for all the people applying to 15 schools, and not really knowing a lot about some of them.

um, just out of curiosity, why are applying to Creighton?

Decent school, not as competitive it seems. I believe they accept almost everyone they interview...who doesn't have a back up school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the schools' mission statement and point out what you like about it. Also, look at the type of teaching style it is (PBL vs. Trad., or Graded vs. Non) and how that complements your learning style. Maybe they have an EC that isn't common at other med schools? Check out the AAMC info on unique things about the schools: http://services.aamc.org/currdir/section1/innovations.cfm

Hope this helps some...

Thanks! I am a strong believer the format doesn't matter, and you probably teach most of the first 2 years to yourself, although I could put a spin on it.