Secondary Essay Assistance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themandulorian

Reaction score
Hey all, hope you're doing well. I wanted to see if I could ask a question and get some feedback on potential secondary essay topics.

First, the question: for a secondary asking about leadership, I wanted to write about some past experiences and the lessons learned, and then talk about how I'm applying those lessons to a current project that I'm leading. However, that project is currently in the planning stage right now, and will be executed once the academic year begins. Could I still talk about that project? Is it worthwhile to do so?

Second, the essay topics.

For diversity essays, I had 3 general topics in mind to write about, and I wanted to get feedback on whether they actually fit the bill or not:
1. I'm a ChemE major, have worked on various open-ended engineering projects for my classes, and am interning in engineering this summer. I know engineering isn't extremely rare in medicine, and that many applicants will have much more experience in the engineering field than me, but I still think this helps me have a better understanding of the technology side of medicine than many applicants do. Also, it has given me a very analytical approach to solving problems, something I think could be useful in healthcare.

2. I grew up fairly low-income until mid high-school, when my parents got better-paying jobs. While we may no longer be considered low-income, growing up that way has really still affected who I am today and has given me a greater appreciation for budgeting/making money stretch, welfare programs, etc. Also, having lived the last couple of years in the middle class, I think I could also relate well to those in the middle class. My fear for this topic though is that we could have been much worse off. For example, I lived in small apartments, but never to the point of fearing for our safety.

3. I wanted to talk about my love for cooking and how my cooking has evolved over time due to being exposed to and trying new foods and recipes. In doing so, I wanted to talk about my ability to continuously learn from and appreciate the things that I'm exposed to every day and how food/cooking has been a way for me to bond with others. However, I feel like this topic is kind of bland and that it doesn't really portray me as contributing anything to the school, but at the same time I like that it's non-academic and something I would love to talk about in potential interviews.

I appreciate any feedback/advice you have, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll also say we are at the point where addressing specific prompts will be more effective. You need to turn them around quickly. And some of us are reviewing now.

Please post the specific questions you are addressing. Vague isn't going to help us.

Among your diversity essays, 2 is the best choice. 3 is a hobby. 1 is more about how you solve problems or think so a good idea for a challenge essay.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
In general: choosing from among 1) I'm an engineer, 2) I grew up poor and 3) I like too cook, I'd go with #2 as it might be the most rare in the applicant pool. As long as you can recognize that not every person in poverty has the same opportunities that your family had and not everyone will succeed in exiting poverty. But it does help to have someone at the table who can recognize some of the economic barriers to care and to follow-through with medical advice.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll also say we are at the point where addressing specific prompts will be more effective. You need to turn them around quickly. And some of us are reviewing now.

Please post the specific questions you are addressing. Vague isn't going to help us.

Among your diversity essays, 2 is the best choice. 3 is a hobby. 1 is more about how you solve problems or think so a good idea for a challenge essay.
Thank you all for the input! Is it not a good idea to write about hobbies or diversity of thought for diversity essays? (For reference, the prompt I was looking at was: How will your background and experiences contribute to diversity at our institution and inform your future role as a physician?)

For the leadership essay, I was going off of Columbia's prompt to begin with (Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions.) But also in general, is it okay to use something ongoing to support your having learned something from the past?

I prefer #2 out of these for the diversity one. The other options don’t answer the question and are too common (talking about one’s major and cooking).

For the leadership one, stick to the prompt. It doesn’t seem to be asking about what you learned from the past.

Reactions: 1 users