Secondary essay or AMCAS essay - which is more important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pwrpfgrl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as I'm slaving away at all these secondary essays, I wonder which one is more important, the personal statement from amcas, or the questions the schools ask. especially since a lot of the questions overlap, i wonder if the adcoms even read my personal statement. :( On the other hand, since we (generally) don't have much time to write secondaries, do they take that into consideration and weigh them slightly less?

any thoughts?

:)

Members don't see this ad.

For the vast majority of schools the Personal Statement carries considerably more weight than secondary essays. There are some like UofC, Duke, and a couple top 10s that make a really big deal out of them but for the most part, the PS is king. Most secondaries ask for brief responses to their questions so the key is to get the point quickly with them and to turn them in quickly. Again though, there are a few exceptions like UofC's which is a pain in the butt.

More important? It's hard to say, since both are integral to your total application package. The AMCAS essay needs to give the admissions committee a picture of you as an interesting human being, not just a collection of numbers, classes, and achievements. The secondary essays should build on this picture, flesh it out more, and seamlessly complement the rest of your application. Saying that one piece is more important than the other is too simplistic. They both should make the admissions committee want to meet you in person.