Secondary Failure Essay Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user320193

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a Texas ORM and applying this cycle! My MCAT is average for my dream school, so I really wanted my secondaries to be a strong part of my application. One of the secondary prompts is " Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life?"

Here is what I've thought of so far. Please let me know if any of these are good options or if I should go back to the drawing board. Thanks so much : )

Option 1: Talk about how I am not fluent in my native language and how that's impact my relationship with my grandparents, who have helped raised me. I try to speak with my parents in our native language now so I can improve but my main takeway is how important it is to me to not lose my culture.

Option 2: I worked as a pharm tech in a super busy pharmacy ( we weren't really allowed bathroom or lunch breaks). Initially, I had many patients who walked away from their medications because they were too expensive and rather than focusing on each patient, I was just focused on helping the next one so I never took the initiative to see if there was anything I could do. Later, I saw a coworker use goodRX for a patient and I learned from her. After, I had a patient who needed expensive antibiotics for her sick daughter and although she could afford them, she commented on the price. I spent 20 mins finding her a coupon and the happiness on her face was incredible! It was a very rewarding experience and taught me that I valued personalized quality care over the quantity of patients I could help.

Option 3: My mother had a pretty severe spinal injury when I was a kid that dramatically altered our life, even to this day. We used to do everything together from shopping to visiting New York and eating at her favorite Chinese restaurant to riding bikes. She lost a lot of mobility after the incident, so I lost a lot of my relatipnship with her. I wish I had taken the time to figure out new things we could do together to continue building our relationship that was feasible for her. As a physician, I would want to help patients and their families maintain their relationships and help them find ways to live their life, especially if they have chronic conditions. Even today, we do things like shop occasionally or I help her with dinner or play her fav board games.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am a Texas ORM and applying this cycle! My MCAT is average for my dream school, so I really wanted my secondaries to be a strong part of my application. One of the secondary prompts is " Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life?"

Here is what I've thought of so far. Please let me know if any of these are good options or if I should go back to the drawing board. Thanks so much : )

Option 1: Talk about how I am not fluent in my native language and how that's impact my relationship with my grandparents, who have helped raised me. I try to speak with my parents in our native language now so I can improve but my main takeway is how important it is to me to not lose my culture.

Option 2: I worked as a pharm tech in a super busy pharmacy ( we weren't really allowed bathroom or lunch breaks). Initially, I had many patients who walked away from their medications because they were too expensive and rather than focusing on each patient, I was just focused on helping the next one so I never took the initiative to see if there was anything I could do. Later, I saw a coworker use goodRX for a patient and I learned from her. After, I had a patient who needed expensive antibiotics for her sick daughter and although she could afford them, she commented on the price. I spent 20 mins finding her a coupon and the happiness on her face was incredible! It was a very rewarding experience and taught me that I valued personalized quality care over the quantity of patients I could help.

Option 3: My mother had a pretty severe spinal injury when I was a kid that dramatically altered our life, even to this day. We used to do everything together from shopping to visiting New York and eating at her favorite Chinese restaurant to riding bikes. She lost a lot of mobility after the incident, so I lost a lot of my relatipnship with her. I wish I had taken the time to figure out new things we could do together to continue building our relationship that was feasible for her. As a physician, I would want to help patients and their families maintain their relationships and help them find ways to live their life, especially if they have chronic conditions. Even today, we do things like shop occasionally or I help her with dinner or play her fav board games.
RE: #3. Your mom is not applying to med school, you are.

RE: #1. But did you actually FAIL AT SOMETHING OR WERE UNSUCCESSFUL in communicating with your grandparents? Be spcific!

#2 might be the best one

RE: #3. Your mom is not applying to med school, you are.

RE: #1. But did you actually FAIL AT SOMETHING OR WERE UNSUCCESSFUL in communicating with your grandparents? Be spcific!

#2 might be the best one
I'll concur... #2 is the best choice of the three, but it doesn't really resonate with me strongly as a story of failure. Resourcefulness, perhaps, but the moral of your story isn't reflecting upon failure.

What I'm looking for: a goal and how you failed to reach that goal plus reflection on achieving that goal but taking a different approach. So you couldn't hit a target at 20 feet... did you move up closer? Did you get coaching? Did you use a laser to help you with your aim? If it still didn't work, did you take up swimming instead and found you liked it much better than archery or skeet shooting?

#1: you are not a failure because you didn't learn your family's native language. That's what it sounds like. How did you try to pick up the language? Your "moral" at the end doesn't relate to the prompt's expectation.

#3: you express a lot of regret, but that's not answering this prompt.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users