Secondary invite before AMCAS verfied?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemguync

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just got an email from Duke, telling me to start my secondary application, but when I checked AMCAS, it still says I'm in line to start the verification process? What's this mean? Does that mean my app is open for transfer, even though it doesn't say so on the site?
Thanks,
-Chem

Members don't see this ad.

Ok.. just got a call from mom that a letter came from George Washington today w/ an app in it? So is it safe to assume my AMCAS is out there? That just seems weird.
-Chem

yah, the same is happening to me-- amcas says i'm still in line for verification, but it seems all the schools are already sending secondary apps via-email and snail mail. i guess amcas is just sending them off without changing the verifying thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS sends preliminary info to the schools before verifying your app. You shouldn't be sitting around waiting for secondaries. Many are on-line and can be done without waiting for an invite. (Some do require an invitation from the school with a password to access the on-line app).

Don't forget, a lot of schools don't screen applicatants before they send out their secondaries. So like SMW said the schools just receive your name and that's it in the preliminary info from AMCAS. At least that is how it was last year, MCV told me that is all they got in the first reports from AMCAS.

A number of schools have cuts offs for MCAT scores and even though you may have received a 2ndary, they might not know your MCAT score yet. You may fall below their cutoff and may not know that before you send your money and s2ndary back to them.

Many schools send you a letter with their cutoffs in it and suggest you make sure you are competive before you send in your 2ndary. UVA and Oregon Health did this last year.

So to all of you, hey, be honest with yourselves before you send in your 2ndaries.

Just my 2 cents:)