Seeing patients soon advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppaa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m gonna start assisting in clinic and getting my own patients soon. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any tips/advice for material to review or such before getting my own patients. Do you recommend watching dental procedures on YouTube, going over previous lectures on fillings or such? Any advice on how to be a great student dentist is appreciated as well! Also tips on things to focus on during my last two years in dental school like taking more CEs or such. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In order to build trust in your patient, please look and behave professionally. Avoid fidgeting and scratching yourself while talking to your patients. A lot of them are "sizing" you up to decide if they would feel comfortable being treated. And you would want to retain those patients, especially now
Be prepared and respectful, give yourself plenty of time

Look them in the eye when talking and listening. Look professional. Talk professional but friendly. Make them laugh if it isn't too awkward. Be gentle but confident. You're not going to be doing procedures right off the bat, just exams and such. Trust your training. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user