Seeking Advice - 3yrs since BSc Bio, 3.3GPA, lower sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wanderlusttxp

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am hopping on the wagon for this cycle's application process a little later than most, though I am confident I have had the experience from the time of graduating to now to solidify my experience in preparation for medical school and contirbuting to the healthcare field.

Unfortunately, my GPA is haunting me as I began college (through a high-school funded program) at the age of 16, completed 2 years for an Associate's and began college as a sophmore in the Bio (pre-med) track - I graduated a month after turning 21 and while this felt advantageous in some ways, I was certainly not in the same mindset as I am not for focusing solely on passing each exam. I also dealt with some unforunate events during undergrad (diagnosis of my best's friends mom with cancer, later leading to her death) which tolled a lot on my own (and multiple jobs).

GPA 3.3
sGPA (not sure where to officially calculate this but rough estimates show) 2.9
MCAT studies are in progress and plan to take in late July/August

During undergrad I worked on campus as a peer health educator programming and developing health/wellness programs for the campus (and chaired the group the following year)

I studied at a medical school in Mexico for a summer as an exchange student with 80+ hrs spanish clinical work (4hr clinic days+4 hr medical spanish course everyday) and traveled abroad to south africa for a health education trip where I was also involved in HIV/AIDs education promotion work.

Since graduation, I've volunteered with multiple non-profits in social justice work and have been employed at a hospital + research institute for almost 3 yrs - 1 year spent in clinic working closely with medical staff/patients and families in scheduling/front desk, the last 2 in clinical research.

I am confident I will have solid letters of recommendation and plan to study 25hrs/wk for next 5-6 months (does that sound similar to experience of others here?) to ensure I score well on MCAT.

I'd love to hear thoughts on what you all think as I am concerned my GPA will set aside my chances, though I am in a completely different place mentally now than I was in undergrad and 21yr old rushing through school (my original plan was to apply after gap yr but have appreciated the experience in different healthcare zones).

Best,
Wanderlust