Seeking advice applying for scholarship/bursary in USyd Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHDaren

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just got the firm offer from SydMed and now trying the settle the financial problems.

Anyone knows if the school offers any scholarship or bursary to international students, please?
(I checked the website but it seems that I can hardly meet the criteria set by the school.)

Anybody from medical programs in Australia can give me advice on settling the living expenses? Is working part-time to support one's own possible during the study?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there are any substantial scholarships for international students, check with the uni to be sure. I'm guessing you're not american/canadian which can secure student loans easily, check with your local banks.

Intl students can work for up to 20 hours a week, but don't count on that even covering your living expenses, let alone astronomical school fees. Sydney is known to have the highest living expenses in australia. Min wage is roughly 15 aud per hour, so 15x20x4 = 1200. Have a look at Gumtree sydney for an estimate on rental prices.

I don't think there are any substantial scholarships for international students, check with the uni to be sure. I'm guessing you're not american/canadian which can secure student loans easily, check with your local banks.

Intl students can work for up to 20 hours a week, but don't count on that even covering your living expenses, let alone astronomical school fees. Sydney is known to have the highest living expenses in australia. Min wage is roughly 15 aud per hour, so 15x20x4 = 1200. Have a look at Gumtree sydney for an estimate on rental prices.

Thanks for this. Although I am a bit upset.

Is there anyone there settling the living expensive on their own? Anybody knows? Is it possible to do that (living expensive alone)?

A few years ago they used to have a scholarship for international students, it was based largely on your interview performance and MCAT. I believe they got rid of it but it was a really good deal where you pay only half the tuition.

Living in Sydney alone is going to be very expensive, you could probably do it. But a decent studio apartment is around $250 a week. That is what I paid last year for one studio near campus. To give you an idea of how pricey that is, you can get a whole house for that much money around Adelaide and Brisbane.

But with the lower prices means there is less to do outside of school. Sydney is a cool place to live, very cosmopolitan, a lot of things to do and see. Melbourne is also pretty good. If you go to Brisbane or Adelaide you might find it to be too quiet. At least that is what I felt.