Seeking advice! Don't have time to retake OAT, should I consider taking the DAT instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iridologist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I got myself into a little pickle and didn't score as high on the OAT as I would have liked. I got a 320 AA/ 310 TS and really needed a higher score (around 75th percentile) to balance out a lower GPA (~ 3.1) but got caught up with work, school, and family problems. I know that if I'm serious about doing better, I will have to take a break from one (or all, lol). I'm confident in my academic abilities and regret that I put myself in this position in the first place, which is why I'm considering taking the DAT instead.

Since I have to wait a 90-day probationary period before retaking the OAT, I was thinking of taking the DAT within the next few weeks- in time for the deadline for my dream school (which is coming up in a month). I am determined to do much better on the DAT, but I am not sure if this is even possible to accomplish since the DAT and OAT are both written by the ADA. Would my 90-day wait be applied to both or just the OAT? Also, how would I send my scores to Optometry schools? It's not an option when applying to take the DAT, and I cannot find specific directions on any Optometry school's website.

If you're sending DAT scores to Optometry schools or have been in a similar situation (or know someone who has), please reach out! Any and all advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't even know you could send a DAT score in. But honestly your stats aren't awful it just depends on which school you're trying to get into! I'm pretty sure you can take the DAT though since its a test for an entirely different program.

I honestly think you could get in with those stats. I dont know if it would be a good idea to send in a DAT, sounds questionable to me. If anything, the gre could be a better option? In my opinion, apply and get feedback from schools on what they think about your original score. Schools usually look at an application as a whole. you've probably got other things in your application going for you, and there's nothing wrong with a 320/310 score

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of a school accepting a DAT in place of an OAT..?

Your scores are solid. I’ve seen people get In with lower. If you put you’re retaking schools are just gonna put you on hold.

Where have you seen people get into with my stats? the schools I'm applying to are UCBSO, SCCO, NECO, ICO and Western.

I've talked to people through my instagram account for optometry. what ive realized is that people with lower scores rarely post on SDN. Its mostly people with higher stats that post on here. But good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I've talked to people through my instagram account for optometry. what ive realized is that people with lower scores rarely post on SDN. Its mostly people with higher stats that post on here. But good luck to you.

Also personally know people that got in with lower scores.

Hi! I got a 310 AA/ 310 TS, science GPA 3.1 and cum 3.5. I applied to SUNY and Salus back in October and I recently got accepted to both. Through my experience, I believe that your chances of getting into optometry school is still very high. Before I submitted my application I personally met with SUNY's admission officer, bringing my transcript, resume, OAT scores and asked him if he thought I should first wait to retake my OAT and then submit my application OR submit it first but state that I will be retaking it in December. His suggestion was to submit my application as early as possible, have the interview first and see what the committee says. If they suggest retaking my OAT then retake it. He also mentioned that if I really do plan on retaking my OAT don't state it in the application because they do put it on hold. Every student's situation/application is different though. For me, I majored in biochemistry. During my last two years, I had an upward trend achieving almost all As in my higher-level science classes that weren't req classes for optometry school. I was an ophthalmic tech for two years, student ambassador, VP and President of the Pre-Opto club. I highly recommend to shoot the admission team an email and see what they recommend. Don't get discouraged from your grade, you worked hard preparing for it. There will be other aspects where they do see your potential and dedication for the optometry profession. :D

Please do keep me updated.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I got a 310 AA/ 310 TS, science GPA 3.1 and cum 3.5. I applied to SUNY and Salus back in October and I recently got accepted to both. Through my experience, I believe that your chances of getting into optometry school is still very high. Before I submitted my application I personally met with SUNY's admission officer, bringing my transcript, resume, OAT scores and asked him if he thought I should first wait to retake my OAT and then submit my application OR submit it first but state that I will be retaking it in December. His suggestion was to submit my application as early as possible, have the interview first and see what the committee says. If they suggest retaking my OAT then retake it. He also mentioned that if I really do plan on retaking my OAT don't state it in the application because they do put it on hold. Every student's situation/application is different though. For me, I majored in biochemistry. During my last two years, I had an upward trend achieving almost all As in my higher-level science classes that weren't req classes for optometry school. I was an ophthalmic tech for two years, student ambassador, VP and President of the Pre-Opto club. I highly recommend to shoot the admission team an email and see what they recommend. Don't get discouraged from your grade, you worked hard preparing for it. There will be other aspects where they do see your potential and dedication for the optometry profession. :D

Please do keep me updated.
Thanks for your message and kind words! I will definitely keep you posted! :)

I think it's worth applying with those stats - my OAT scores were identical (320 AA, 310 TS) but my GPA was on the higher side. I only applied to one school and was offered an interview - they never even asked about my OAT and I wasn't asked to retake it. I got my acceptance about a week later. You could always reach out to the admissions office and ask them if they suggest the DAT (I didn't realize they would accept it) or if they have any other suggestions for you. Good luck!! The schools understand that things come up - they might be willing to accept you with the understanding that you will take the OAT again, it just depends on the school! I have felt self-conscious about my OAT scores on here because so many people are posting amazing scores. My experience has been that the schools are going to look at you holistically, so while the numbers are important and what they see first, it's not the whole story! My advice is to reach out to the schools you want to apply to and ask them if they have any suggestions based on your stats. :)