Seeking Advice from the Oh So Wise Ones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fater1983

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I'd like to thank those of you who will actualy take the time to give me meaningful feedback. It's not every day that people go out of their way to help others for nothing in return.

This is my situation. I've already finished my BS as a Pathologists' Assistant from Wayne State University. I still lack both o-chem course, both physics, biochem, and I'd like to retake or audit both gen chem courses for a refresher.

As I said, I already have a BS and after graduation I spent about 7 months doing medical research in Arizona before realizing it was not for me. I then took a job in medical device sales working in Nashville, TN. I'd like to stay in Tennessee for my pre-reqs and would love to enroll in a proven Post-Bac program if they allow these courses to be taken. My undergrad GPA was roughly a 3.1 which I understand is nothing to write home about when referring to medical school, but its definitely not the worst. I also have great letters of recommendation, lots of clinical experience working with doctors in Michigan, and I'm open to both MD and DO programs.

I'd really like to look at Meharry Medical College as a potential and would appreciate some feedback on other schools that you may feel are a bit more understanding when it comes to GPAs being slightly on the lower side. Thanks again to all who comment.

"If you're not first, you're last!"
"Shake and bake!"

Members don't see this ad.

First, I'd like to thank those of you who will actualy take the time to give me meaningful feedback. It's not every day that people go out of their way to help others for nothing in return.

This is my situation. I've already finished my BS as a Pathologists' Assistant from Wayne State University. I still lack both o-chem course, both physics, biochem, and I'd like to retake or audit both gen chem courses for a refresher.

As I said, I already have a BS and after graduation I spent about 7 months doing medical research in Arizona before realizing it was not for me. I then took a job in medical device sales working in Nashville, TN. I'd like to stay in Tennessee for my pre-reqs and would love to enroll in a proven Post-Bac program if they allow these courses to be taken. My undergrad GPA was roughly a 3.1 which I understand is nothing to write home about when referring to medical school, but its definitely not the worst. I also have great letters of recommendation, lots of clinical experience working with doctors in Michigan, and I'm open to both MD and DO programs.

I'd really like to look at Meharry Medical College as a potential and would appreciate some feedback on other schools that you may feel are a bit more understanding when it comes to GPAs being slightly on the lower side. Thanks again to all who comment.

"If you're not first, you're last!"
"Shake and bake!"

I did a non-traditional post back where I paid per credit hour (the economical choice). I am not familiar with Meharry's program, but I will say that you don't have to do a traditional post bac program. All the AMCAS cares about is that you have the courses, they don't care how you get them. I am just saying this in case you are under the impression that a traditional program is the only way to go about this. Traditional post-bacc programs can get pretty pricey and you have other options. If Meharry is offering something you think is worth the price, that's a separate issue of course.

Other thant that, if you are re-taking the Gen Chemistry courses simply to prepare for Orgo, you will probably be okay without them. Outside of electronegativity, chemical bonds, and a smidgeon of Thermodynamics, orgo doesn't really pull on Gen Chem that much. It's nothing you couldn't refresh yourself on by yourself. Again, not sure if that is your reasoning, if you want to audit them/re-take them for your GPA or the MCAT, that is a whole seperate thing.

Good luck

I would agree that a formal post-bacc program is not needed. Most 4 year schools should have a pre-med office that can help you with sending out LORs and other related items. As long as this is in place, any school with a "good" science program should get the job done. Pick a school where you feel you can succeed. I started out in a formal program at an IVY school, didn't like it, finished up by just taking classes as a non-matriculated student, and now I'm starting med school next year. Everyone has their own path to follow.

If there are certain med schools you are targetting, call the admissions office and see if they can recommend a school to complete your pre-reqs. Some schools will be more helpful than others.

If you already have good grades in Gen Chem and understand the material, don't waste your time retaking the class.

I'd personally only shell out the cash for the post-bacc if they have a linkage with a medical school that gives you a guaranteed (or at least a serious leg up) for admission. State schools tend to be more affordable choices, and if you enroll as an undergrad, you still get all the services the regular pre-meds get.

Second the above about retaking chem. Only retake if your grades were very poor and you know you will ace it the second time around.

That said, some people love their post-baccs, and I'm not all that wise;)