Seeking guidance for the 2022 applicant cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello! I graduated from college in 2020 (Biology) and decided quite late that I wanted to become a physician. College was a really difficult time for me, and my grades definitely reflect that - most of my classes (Biology/Chemistry department) were B's. Ever since the Fall 2019 semester, I've been trying to play catch-up in terms of GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, etc. I am planning to apply in 2022, but I am wondering what I should be focusing on. Currently, I am taking courses at Harvard Extension for my DIY post-bacc. I am aiming for primarily DO schools, and I will be applying to some low-tier MDs just because why not.

I am going to list my questions first and then below that I will post the relevant information. I apologize for the wall of text beforehand!

My Questions:
  1. Should I ask my DIY post-bacc professors for LoR? I do not interact with them at all because all teaching is remote and I just watch videos. I also find online school to be really difficult to stay motivated for. Honestly, it's not my cup of tea.
  2. For clinical work, is a behavioral therapist recognized as clinical experience?
  3. Does undergrad prestige matter when applying to medical school? I took Chemistry 2 at Cal State LA when I was a sophomore (for context, I went to a T30 undergrad and our school has a 80%+ acceptance rate for medical school applicants) and I may return there to take Physics 2 w/Lab because it's cheaper than taking Physics 2 at Harvard summer school.
  4. I'm currently looking for a job - which do you think I should focus on? Clinical or research? I am honestly having trouble landing basic research and clinical research jobs, so I am worried if that is more needed compared to clinical experience hours.

Demographic Info: CA, Chinese female. I am not planning on applying to any CA schools.

Academic Information:
  • cGPA (upon graduation): 3.51
  • sGPA (upon graduation): 3.31 (AMCAS sGPA; for AACOMAS it is a 3.28 because I believe Psychology Statistics is not counted)
  • Current sGPA with DIY post-bacc courses: 3.41 sGPA ( 3 A's and 1 B+ so far....! Hoping it becomes 4 A's, 1 A-, and 1 B+ after this semester).
    • Projected sGPA after completion of DIY post-bacc: 3.50 sGPA, 3.60 cGPA
  • Credits completed so far in DIY Post-Bacc: 19 semester credits (8 in progress)
    • DIY Post-bacc Courses taken:
      • Human Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab
      • Human Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab
      • Cell Biology
      • Endocrinology
        • I'm in slight danger of getting a B+ in this class, and I told myself if I got another B+ I'd quit this premed attempt and switch to applying to PA school. Aiming for an A- though :p
      • Neuroscience (I got a B+ in this class, sadly)
    • Planned DIY Post-Bacc courses:
      • Physics 2 with Lab
      • Immunology
      • Molecular Biology or Calculus 2 (I used AP Calculus AB credits and Psychology Statistics to graduate from college but I recognize that the medical schools require a semester of college math, which I technically haven't taken).
  • MCAT: Not taken. I am testing September 2021 but I expect to score at least a 505 with minimal effort. I know I need to get at least a 517-520 due to my poor sGPA from college.
Recommendation Letter Info:
  • Clinical Letter: N/A, in search of clinical work right now
  • Research letter: N/A - I had very limited basic research experience. Basically 6 months of pipetting. I really wanted to look for research jobs, but I was advised to focus more on the clinical side of things.
  • Science Letter #1 - I am planning to ask my Cell Biology professor, but my concern is that the Cell Bio class was held over the summer.
  • Science Letter #2 - I am planning to ask either my Organic Chem I Professor because I worked really hard in that class and my professor knew (got a B+ though, and I took that class 3 years ago). OR I am going to ask my Microbiology professor (A-). He does not know me at all, though.
  • Non-STEM Letter: TBD...
  • I am also going to have a Pre-Health Committee Letter.
Extracurriculars:
  • Clinical: 440 Hours
    • Ophthalmology Scribe & Assistant: Spent 50% of my time performing diagnostic testing and working up patients. Spent 50% of my time scribing for the ophthalmologist.
      • Total hours: Approx. 320 hours (worked for 4 months -- also I didn't count scribing hours here)
      • I can't ask the ophthalmologist for a letter because I only worked there for 4 months.
    • Internal Medicine Office Assistant: Mostly administrative. about 10% of my time taking vitals of patients.
      • Total clinical hours: approx. 100 hours, ongoing (it has been 6 months).
      • Full disclosure: I can't ask for a letter because the doctor is my dad.
    • Free healthcare clinic volunteering during undergrad: Took vitals of patients
      • Total clinical hours: 20 hours
  • Non-Clinical: 250 Hours
    • Volunteering @ hospital - Duties included transporting patients, transporting specimens.
      • Total hours: 100 hours
    • Teaching cello for free to a middle school student
      • Total hours: 150 hours total
  • Research: 250 Hours
    • 6 months of working with a post-doc on drug delivery project
      • Total hours: 250 hours
  • Shadowing: 5 Hours
    • Spring 2018, 1 time shadowing a nephrologist: 5 hours

Thank you for reading until the end!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! I graduated from college in 2020 (Biology) and decided quite late that I wanted to become a physician. College was a really difficult time for me, and my grades definitely reflect that - most of my classes (Biology/Chemistry department) were B's. Ever since the Fall 2019 semester, I've been trying to play catch-up in terms of GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, etc. I am planning to apply in 2022, but I am wondering what I should be focusing on. Currently, I am taking courses at Harvard Extension for my DIY post-bacc. I am aiming for primarily DO schools, and I will be applying to some low-tier MDs just because why not.

I am going to list my questions first and then below that I will post the relevant information. I apologize for the wall of text beforehand!

My Questions:
  1. Should I ask my DIY post-bacc professors for LoR? I do not interact with them at all because all teaching is remote and I just watch videos. I also find online school to be really difficult to stay motivated for. Honestly, it's not my cup of tea.
  2. For clinical work, is a behavioral therapist recognized as clinical experience?
  3. Does undergrad prestige matter when applying to medical school? I took Chemistry 2 at Cal State LA when I was a sophomore (for context, I went to a T30 undergrad and our school has a 80%+ acceptance rate for medical school applicants) and I may return there to take Physics 2 w/Lab because it's cheaper than taking Physics 2 at Harvard summer school.
  4. I'm currently looking for a job - which do you think I should focus on? Clinical or research? I am honestly having trouble landing basic research and clinical research jobs, so I am worried if that is more needed compared to clinical experience hours.

Demographic Info: CA, Chinese female. I am not planning on applying to any CA schools.

Academic Information:
  • cGPA (upon graduation): 3.51
  • sGPA (upon graduation): 3.31 (AMCAS sGPA; for AACOMAS it is a 3.28 because I believe Psychology Statistics is not counted)
  • Current sGPA with DIY post-bacc courses: 3.41 sGPA ( 3 A's and 1 B+ so far....! Hoping it becomes 4 A's, 1 A-, and 1 B+ after this semester).
    • Projected sGPA after completion of DIY post-bacc: 3.50 sGPA, 3.60 cGPA
  • Credits completed so far in DIY Post-Bacc: 19 semester credits (8 in progress)
    • DIY Post-bacc Courses taken:
      • Human Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab
      • Human Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab
      • Cell Biology
      • Endocrinology
        • I'm in slight danger of getting a B+ in this class, and I told myself if I got another B+ I'd quit this premed attempt and switch to applying to PA school. Aiming for an A- though :p
      • Neuroscience (I got a B+ in this class, sadly)
    • Planned DIY Post-Bacc courses:
      • Physics 2 with Lab
      • Immunology
      • Molecular Biology or Calculus 2 (I used AP Calculus AB credits and Psychology Statistics to graduate from college but I recognize that the medical schools require a semester of college math, which I technically haven't taken).
  • MCAT: Not taken. I am testing September 2021 but I expect to score at least a 505 with minimal effort. I know I need to get at least a 517-520 due to my poor sGPA from college.
Recommendation Letter Info:
  • Clinical Letter: N/A, in search of clinical work right now
  • Research letter: N/A - I had very limited basic research experience. Basically 6 months of pipetting. I really wanted to look for research jobs, but I was advised to focus more on the clinical side of things.
  • Science Letter #1 - I am planning to ask my Cell Biology professor, but my concern is that the Cell Bio class was held over the summer.
  • Science Letter #2 - I am planning to ask either my Organic Chem I Professor because I worked really hard in that class and my professor knew (got a B+ though, and I took that class 3 years ago). OR I am going to ask my Microbiology professor (A-). He does not know me at all, though.
  • Non-STEM Letter: TBD...
  • I am also going to have a Pre-Health Committee Letter.
Extracurriculars:
  • Clinical: 440 Hours
    • Ophthalmology Scribe & Assistant: Spent 50% of my time performing diagnostic testing and working up patients. Spent 50% of my time scribing for the ophthalmologist.
      • Total hours: Approx. 320 hours (worked for 4 months -- also I didn't count scribing hours here)
      • I can't ask the ophthalmologist for a letter because I only worked there for 4 months.
    • Internal Medicine Office Assistant: Mostly administrative. about 10% of my time taking vitals of patients.
      • Total clinical hours: approx. 100 hours, ongoing (it has been 6 months).
      • Full disclosure: I can't ask for a letter because the doctor is my dad.
    • Free healthcare clinic volunteering during undergrad: Took vitals of patients
      • Total clinical hours: 20 hours
  • Non-Clinical: 250 Hours
    • Volunteering @ hospital - Duties included transporting patients, transporting specimens.
      • Total hours: 100 hours
    • Teaching cello for free to a middle school student
      • Total hours: 150 hours total
  • Research: 250 Hours
    • 6 months of working with a post-doc on drug delivery project
      • Total hours: 250 hours
  • Shadowing: 5 Hours
    • Spring 2018, 1 time shadowing a nephrologist: 5 hours

Thank you for reading until the end!!!!!!
Your ECs are adequate. A little low on the volunteering as the cello teaching is kind of niche, but still sufficient. Get 40 hours shadowing in primary care.

The pre-health committee letter should be enough in most cases as it should include all of the science and non-science letters, right? Either way, summer class doesn’t matter, a good letter is a good letter. And go with the Ochem professor, lower grade but better letter. You are...a little late in asking for letters though. Most often, letters are completed by beginning to end of May, not being asked for.

GPA is low but not DOA. Your trend is awesome, keep it up. Can’t really predict chances without the MCAT and projections of scores are not very useful without AAMC FLs (you are pretty late for MCAT now too, right? Cycle starts in a month...) however if you get a 505, you can comfortably apply broadly to DO. I wouldn’t apply to any MD outside your state schools (which you have said you will not apply to?) until 512 or higher given your GPA and ECs. 515+ is your target to apply broadly MD with your trend, score 518+ and apply based on your MCAT not your GPA.

Your ECs are adequate. A little low on the volunteering as the cello teaching is kind of niche, but still sufficient. Get 40 hours shadowing in primary care.

The pre-health committee letter should be enough in most cases as it should include all of the science and non-science letters, right? Either way, summer class doesn’t matter, a good letter is a good letter. And go with the Ochem professor, lower grade but better letter. You are...a little late in asking for letters though. Most often, letters are completed by beginning to end of May, not being asked for.

GPA is low but not DOA. Your trend is awesome, keep it up. Can’t really predict chances without the MCAT and projections of scores are not very useful without AAMC FLs (you are pretty late for MCAT now too, right? Cycle starts in a month...) however if you get a 505, you can comfortably apply broadly to DO. I wouldn’t apply to any MD outside your state schools (which you have said you will not apply to?) until 512 or higher given your GPA and ECs. 515+ is your target to apply broadly MD with your trend, score 518+ and apply based on your MCAT not your GPA.
I am applying in 2022, not 2021.
I was told if I am applying in May 2022, to ask for letters in September 2021 per my professors' wishes because they're working on the 2021 cycle letters right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
The pre-health committee letter should be enough in most cases as it should include all of the science and non-science letters, right? Either way, summer class doesn’t matter, a good letter is a good letter. And go with the Ochem professor, lower grade but better letter.
First off, agree with this. I also got a B+ in OChem and had that professor write me a letter. If you've shown effort and demonstrated growth in a particular course, definitely consider that professor.
You are...a little late in asking for letters though. Most often, letters are completed by beginning to end of May, not being asked for.
If I'm not mistaken, OP is looking to apply in 2022, not this cycle.
I was also in the position of asking for a letter from a professor that I took a completely virtual course with. My advice is to try and find a professor that seems to have a genuine interest in students (hosts virtual office hours, solicits feedback) and ENGAGE. Go to the office hours. Actually participate in those discussion posts. Comment on other posts. Help your classmates (when/if you can). Join or start the class Discord or GroupMe as a study group. And, hopefully, do well in the class. Then, when the professor asks you what you want highlighted in the letter, you can talk about teamwork, communication, etc., in addition to scientific knowledge.
  1. For clinical work, is a behavioral therapist recognized as clinical experience?
I'd stay away from using it as sole clinical experience. Med schools are going to want to know that you understand what medicine looks like -- what a doctor does, what that doctor-patient interaction looks like.
  1. Does undergrad prestige matter when applying to medical school? I took Chemistry 2 at Cal State LA when I was a sophomore (for context, I went to a T30 undergrad and our school has a 80%+ acceptance rate for medical school applicants) and I may return there to take Physics 2 w/Lab because it's cheaper than taking Physics 2 at Harvard summer school.
It's only going to matter -- minimally -- in terms of where your degree was granted from. As long as you're taking your post-bac courses at another 4-year university, you should be fine.
  1. I'm currently looking for a job - which do you think I should focus on? Clinical or research? I am honestly having trouble landing basic research and clinical research jobs, so I am worried if that is more needed compared to clinical experience hours.
Clinical. Unless you're aiming for research-oriented schools or you have an absolute burning desire to pursue it, clinical experience is going to give you a lot more to write about and talk about in essays and interviews.

Other tidbits:

LOR requirements vary by school. The committee letter will cover you at some schools, not at others. Some of the schools I applied to (MD + DO, largely community service-oriented) wanted a clinical or employment-experience letter. MSAR is handy for finding all requirements in one place for AMCAS schools, and the ChooseDO Explorer is essentially the same (minus GPA/MCAT scores) for DO schools.
DO schools REALLY like it if you have a DO letter, so if there's any way you can try to get some primary care shadowing or perhaps scribe experience under a DO, that would be helpful.

I know you mentioned you weren't planning to apply to CA schools, but unless you really want to get out of CA, I'd keep Western and Touro-CA on your list. Possibly CUSM as well.

Start thinking about your essays. Be sure you can write meaningfully about your experiences. If you're looking at mostly DO schools, after you finish your post-bac and MCAT, I'd consider looking into community service based non-clinical (or clinical, if you can find it) volunteering.

I am applying in 2022, not 2021.
I was told if I am applying in May 2022, to ask for letters in September 2021 per my professors' wishes because they're working on the 2021 cycle letters right now.
Gotcha. Yes, that is correct. Use Interfolio. Since the OChem professor is so long ago, get that letter on Interfolio now.

Just so you’re using the correct terminology, the year of the cycle is the year students will matriculate not the year you press submit, so this next cycle is the 2022 cycle and you will be applying in the 2023 cycle (which I see now in your username, was just going by the title of the thread).

Other tidbits:

LOR requirements vary by school. The committee letter will cover you at some schools, not at others. Some of the schools I applied to (MD + DO, largely community service-oriented) wanted a clinical or employment-experience letter. MSAR is handy for finding all requirements in one place for AMCAS schools, and the ChooseDO Explorer is essentially the same (minus GPA/MCAT scores) for DO schools.
DO schools REALLY like it if you have a DO letter, so if there's any way you can try to get some primary care shadowing or perhaps scribe experience under a DO, that would be helpful.

I know you mentioned you weren't planning to apply to CA schools, but unless you really want to get out of CA, I'd keep Western and Touro-CA on your list. Possibly CUSM as well.

Start thinking about your essays. Be sure you can write meaningfully about your experiences. If you're looking at mostly DO schools, after you finish your post-bac and MCAT, I'd consider looking into community service based non-clinical (or clinical, if you can find it) volunteering.
Thank you so much for your advice.

Quick question -- if I take a foreign language course at a community college not for credit, is it OK if I ask that teacher for a letter of recommendation for the non-science requirement? Foreign languages are something I value really highly, and honestly I did not take many non-STEM classes during undergrad (unless I ask that one Chinese language prof. who might (?) remember me).

One of the things I want to write about is the language barrier in medicine -- long story short, a lot of my work experience and volunteer experience have been with physicians who, I've noticed, often struggle to communicate well with immigrants in their native language (Chinese, Cantonese, Korean, Spanish, Creole, etc. The list really goes on forever).

I'm not sure how I'm going to go about this, but I wanted to tie it in with my experiences growing up Chinese-American and actively rejecting learning Mandarin and Spanish when I was younger b/c I saw no point since everyone in my environment spoke English fluently. My essay will probably be very cliche, but it would be centered around how being fluent in multiple languages as well as understanding their respective cultures is one of my many motivations for pursuing medicine because proper communication can improve a patient's health and respecting their culture can result in a more compassionate care experience.

So this basically led into me having a renewed appreciation & interest in learning languages (I hope to be fluent in four, but right now I'm focusing on three languages because I've gotten a small professional development grant from my undergrad to further my studies in - Mandarin, Spanish, and Korean).

Is this topic overused? lol. I'm nervous I won't have anything good to talk about.

Gotcha. Yes, that is correct. Use Interfolio. Since the OChem professor is so long ago, get that letter on Interfolio now.

Just so you’re using the correct terminology, the year of the cycle is the year students will matriculate not the year you press submit, so this next cycle is the 2022 cycle and you will be applying in the 2023 cycle (which I see now in your username, was just going by the title of the thread).
Thanks so much for your advice. Also thanks for the terminology correction, sorry for the confusion!

Reactions: 1 user
Look into doing an Americorps position that relates to healthcare if you can afford it. Med schools love healthcare work with the underserved. Keep taking courses to improve your grades. Ideally get a 510+ on MCAT and you should be good to go. I wouldn’t take it until you’re confident you can get that. One step a time though. Don’t rush things and compromise a score cause you crammed too much stuff in. I don’t think the med schools you’ll be looking into, unless you score super high on mcat, will prioritize research as much.

Also I took the physics series at Harvard extension and it was well done. I know summer school is different price wise, but just FYI. I don’t think undergrad prestige matters a ton in terms of where you take the classes as long as you get a good mcat score. I had a similar background to you in terms of going to a highly ranked college and then doing a lot of post bacc work after to increase my grades because I decided on med school later in the game. Didn’t seem to hurt me too much and I took courses all over the place cause my mcat was good.

Look into doing an Americorps position that relates to healthcare if you can afford it. Med schools love healthcare work with the underserved. Keep taking courses to improve your grades. Ideally get a 510+ on MCAT and you should be good to go. I wouldn’t take it until you’re confident you can get that. One step a time though. Don’t rush things and compromise a score cause you crammed too much stuff in. I don’t think the med schools you’ll be looking into, unless you score super high on mcat, will prioritize research as much.
Do you have any tips for writing a successful Americorps app? I find the program to be really competitive.
Also I took the physics series at Harvard extension and it was well done. I know summer school is different price wise, but just FYI. I don’t think undergrad prestige matters a ton in terms of where you take the classes as long as you get a good mcat score. I had a similar background to you in terms of going to a highly ranked college and then doing a lot of post bacc work after to increase my grades because I decided on med school later in the game. Didn’t seem to hurt me too much and I took courses all over the place cause my mcat was good.
Yes I was planning on taking the Harvard extension Physics 2 class but its only 4 semester units with lab included. I am trying to do 5 units for lecture and lab because it's just easier for me to take 3 courses (5 credit, 5 credit, 4 credit) instead of potentially 4 courses/16 units (I only need about 14 credits). I really want to be done with my post-bacc and just be able to focus on working full time & doing other pursuits like studying languages, volunteering, etc.

Cal State LA has a 5-credit Physics 2 lecture/lab as well as 5-credit Calculus II course (despite my AP Calc credit from high school, I believe that doesn't replace the calculus requirement for med school), so I was thinking "why not" -- and then i can finish quite cleanly with Pharmacology (4 units) at Harvard Extension in the fall semester.

*shrug*

Last edited:
Do you have any tips for writing a successful Americorps app? I find the program to be really competitive.

Yes I was planning on taking the Harvard extension Physics 2 class but its only 4 semester units with lab included. I am trying to do 5 units for lecture and lab because it's just easier for me to take 3 courses (5 credit, 5 credit, 4 credit) instead of potentially 4 courses/16 units (I only need about 14 credits). I really want to be done with my post-bacc and just be able to focus on working full time & doing other pursuits like studying languages, volunteering, etc.

Cal State LA has a 5-credit Physics 2 lecture/lab as well as 5-credit Calculus II course (despite my AP Calc credit from high school, I believe that doesn't replace the calculus requirement for med school), so I was thinking "why not" -- and then i can finish quite cleanly with Pharmacology (4 units) at Harvard Extension in the fall semester.

*shrug*
I don’t think taking a higher unit physics class at cal state LA would be better than taking an additional course in another subject. Are you worried about cost at all? Or just feeling done with it. Bunker could be a good place to look into if cost is a concern.

not sure about the Americorps advice - it probably varies in competitiveness depending on position / location. But if you can get a nice one relating to healthcare it’s going to look very good. The name and the gist of the position is well recognized and will help you. I think better than doing a clinical research position, IMO.

You can also always just email PI’s in labs your interested in to see if you can help out for free. You’ll be super poor this way but I think it could do you more good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think taking a higher unit physics class at cal state LA would be better than taking an additional course in another subject. Are you worried about cost at all? Or just feeling done with it. Bunker could be a good place to look into if cost is a concern.

not sure about the Americorps advice - it probably varies in competitiveness depending on position / location. But if you can get a nice one relating to healthcare it’s going to look very good. The name and the gist of the position is well recognized and will help you. I think better than doing a clinical research position, IMO.
I'm just feeling very done with it -- I do want to work without any sort of academic commitments for a while and be able to focus on improving my physical health and other hobbies like learning languages, cello, etc

I'm just feeling very done with it -- I do want to work without any sort of academic commitments for a while and be able to focus on improving my physical health and other hobbies like learning languages, cello, etc
Fair, I know the feeling. I would prioritize grades and MCAT before a job commitment though. Def get the MCAT out of the way. My Americorps service has been very easy and low work load. That's why I suggest it - looks good and not a lot of time so you can get the other academic stuff that you need to do out of the way. Clinical research coordinator at one of the major hospitals in Boston is a lot of work.

I know you weren't asking about the prospect of working + finishing academics directly, but I had a lot of clinical research coordinators colleagues at the big boston hospitals unable to study for the MCAT and perform well while working those jobs. Hampered their ability to get into school cause the MCAT score was lower, and some of them just said screw it after a while and decided on something else. So, cautioning you against that. I worked while doing GPA repair and I wish I had just done one thing at a time. Did MCAT without working - great idea. Americorps has been super chill though.

Last edited:
Maybe you need a break from the whole premed furnace. Once you jump into the application cycle you barely have time to breathe and it sounds like you are feeling done with the whole thing now. Take care of yourself first and foremost.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Hi again, sorry about the additional questions. Can you clarify by what you mean on the cello teaching is niche? I was planning to do some volunteering this summer and ideally it would be more education-aligned and teaching because I did a lot of tutoring for kids in high school. Would this be an ideal activity or should I pursue something else? I was also contemplating food bank work and women's homeless shelter b/c these are of interest to me

Hi again, sorry about the additional questions. Can you clarify by what you mean on the cello teaching is niche? I was planning to do some volunteering this summer and ideally it would be more education-aligned and teaching because I did a lot of tutoring for kids in high school. Would this be an ideal activity or should I pursue something else? I was also contemplating food bank work and women's homeless shelter b/c these are of interest to me
Before answering, is the volunteer cello teaching for a particular group of individuals? Like low SES or anything like that? Or do you just do it because you like it?

Before answering, is the volunteer cello teaching for a particular group of individuals? Like low SES or anything like that? Or do you just do it because you like it?
Yeah it was for low SES kids in the Boston area and I did it because my top interests are classical music and teaching (separately and combined). I did it through Harvard when I was an undergrad, but now that I've graduated I'm not eligible anymore. Been trying to find a similar organization since

edit1: i didn't go to harvard - went to another college in the area and there were ppl that let me volunteer at their organization even though it was under harvard .

Yeah it was for low SES kids in the Boston area and I did it because my top interests are classical music and teaching (separately and combined). I did it through Harvard when I was an undergrad, but now that I've graduated I'm not eligible anymore. Been trying to find a similar organization since

edit1: i didn't go to harvard - went to another college in the area and there were ppl that let me volunteer at their organization even though it was under harvard .
It is fine then - taking your passion/talents and applying them to a population that otherwise wouldn’t have access. Disregard the niche comment.

It is fine then - taking your passion/talents and applying them to a population that otherwise wouldn’t have access. Disregard the niche comment.
But also look at the food bank and homeless shelters. As a physician you will be working with people different than you. You’ve already done the cello program so do it if you want to but branch out to serving people very unlike yourself.

Do you know anything about the January immersion physics lab series at HES? I am planning on doing it next January.

Hi sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread, but I am currently an AmeriCorps member with the National Health Corps AmeriCorps program which is focused on healthcare. Many of our members are currently serving at hospitals, clinics, addiction treatment centers, schools, etc. I am serving at an addiction treatment center currently and feel like I'm getting some great clinical experience through it. Feel free to PM me or reply if you have any questions about anything! Happy to answer and give further details about the program. Many of the members in my program were accepted and will be going to some great medical schools next year (DO and MD)!

We are recruiting in waves this year. We are currently in the middle of the last wave, but if there are still positions open, more opportunities to apply will be available! Just wanted to put it on your radar if you are interested in AmeriCorps programs related to healthcare! Here is the website for more info: Apply | NHC. LMK if you have any questions! :)