Seeking guidance on Postbaccalaureate Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

script89

Reaction score
Hi,

I am an international student and wish to apply to MD/MD-PhD programs.

Below is a brief description of my profile:

-Graduate in Biotech Engineering, GPA 8.77

-Post-graduate in Marine Biotech Engineering, GPA 8.44

-Post-Graduate Diploma in Multi-Omics Technology, GPA 10

Note: The GPAs are on a 10 point scale. As per the freely available online convertors, I get 3.51 in graduation, 3.38 in post-graduation and 4 in post-graduate diploma on a 4-point scale. These scores put me at disadvantage despite the fact that these are difficult to score GPAs in my country. I also read that agencies like WES (World Education Services)) do not offer a level playing field to international candidates due to the difference in the grading schemes. So, I’m not sure how to deal with this and whether my GPAs meet the required standards.

-No MCAT yet

-Research experience of around 4 years in both clinical (areas like sleep and neurocognition) and basic science (molecular biology, developmental biology and proteomics). 3 first author, 1-second author and 1 mid-author research papers under review process).

-Process underway to work as a volunteer in a hospital and to get shadow experience.

Note: I joined PhD after my post-graduation and left it a year later due to personal reasons. I have a gap of 7 months before joining PG-Diploma in which I was preparing for various entrance exams.

I have the following questions:

1. My schooling is not from the US, so I need to take the necessary prereqs at a US institution. This will take 1 additional year. Are there any schools that do not follow this requirement?
  2. I read somewhere that doing prereqs in Canada will also suffice. Am I correct?
  3. Linkage programs, 1-year coursework-based programs and DIY postbacs serve the above purpose well. Which one of these would be a better option?
  4. Are any of the above programs fully funded (provide tuition fee waiver and cover living expenses) for international students? If not, are there any programs that rank better on affordability? Note: I tried to search the information here, but it doesn’t seem to be updated.
  5. Will my choice of college for prereqs affect my chances of getting admission into MD/MD-PhD programs?

Looking forward.
Thanks for giving my concerns a patient read.

Members don't see this ad.