Seeking med-school advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forestgump

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
So im looking at medicals schools and wanted to see if anyone could tell me how im looking or where to apply? I know there are a tons of these posts but you cant be specific advice now can you?
So here it is...
GPA 3.84 accum
GPA CBMP 3.82
I have not yet take the MCAT but have pre tested around a 32, that was before taking all the classes covered by the exam so i am expecting a significant increase in scores.
I have shadowing in two specialties, I am working in a lab to gain research experience. I have taken medical mission trips and have a history of volunteering in different fields but no one area with tons of hours. I am currently ending my junior year and starting to think how i can improve my application. I know its late in the game, but if you have any advice let me know! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You seem like you're in good shape! I don't see leadership mentioned, so you may want to think of something you could do in that area, like organizing an event or a fundraising drive for one of the organizations you volunteer with. You should also think about your story. Since your volunteer experiences are a little scattered, pulling them together into a good narrative will help. Do you have a personal statement topic in mind already?

Start lining up LORs now. You should take the MCAT in June, and have your AMCAS ready to go in June too.

Apply early and sensibly (not too top heavy but put in some dream schools by all means) and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get in to some of your top choices.

Thanks alot, I was looking over my leadership positions and I have been a member of a leadership organization and I have also co-founded a mission organization. The organization has made one trip to Haiti two years ago and has since been in kind of a slow down. Does it make sense to add this on my resume?

Yes, I think co-founding a mission organization, even if it has "only" made one trip is certainly notable, assuming you did a lot of the co-ordinating and organizing. :) The leadership organization should go in if you have room - try to balance the different types of activity you've been involved in when using your 15 AMCAS slots if you have more than 15 activities. e.g. a few clinical, a few service, a few leadership, a few EC passion (church, music, sports etc.)

Just some ideas...