seeking recommendation for surgical textbook

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by mediumscrubs, May 8, 2008.

1. mediumscrubs

Medical Student
    I am almost done with my first year and I have a surgical externship coming up later this summer. However, I don't have any surgical experience at all. I want to have a little bit of prior knowledge before I start so I won't end up like watching a film in a foreign language that I totally don't understand.

Anybody got any recommendation for surgical textbooks?

Thanks.

2. kenmc3

kenmc3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Surgical Recall is probably the best book you could buy. It is a quick read and covers all the really important items. Great for a beginner - goes over instruments etc. It has all the important surgically treated diseases in all the specialties. Also a must when you rotate through surgery your 3rd year.

3. Check out the stickied threads in the Clinical Rotations forum.

4. muscles

muscles student of the month
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Agreed,
    surgery recall is a fantastic book; the first few chapters review all the basics, conduct in surgery, surgical instruments, etc... so you won't stick out like a sore thumb on your first day. It then goes through, system by system, explaining the more common surgical procedures you'll see

5. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Administrator Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Once you know what procedures you'll be watching, I really like Zollinger's. It is a surgical atlas, that often goes through the procedure step by step. It may be a little advanced for you, but I really think that it clarifies the anatomy/orientation for me.

As for the BASICS (i.e. how to avoid getting screamed at by the scrub nurse!), there are some great videos online. This video set from BU is pretty good and will give you a GENERAL idea of how to behave in the OR: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Content.aspx?DepartmentID=69&PageID=6637

Obviously, your hospital will have different policies, but it gives a great general idea of what to do.

This is a decent website for surgical instruments: http://surgical-instrument-pictures.com/ I personally didn't love Surgical Recall (too much useless trivia that was interesting, but not helpful), but other people swore by it.

6. vtucci

vtucci Attending in Emergency Medicine
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Textbook? Lawrence's Essentials of General Surgery is pretty good.

For quick info, Surgery Recall and Surgical Secrets are excellent.