Seeking your advice on my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centrinoduo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I joined SDN pretty recently, and I am amazed at the level of capable support between the members... was wondering if you could help me out getting things straight for me.

I am a 26 year old guy graduated from SUNY Binghamton at 2003... got 2.986 UGPA with major in philosophy. I've taken 1 semester of biology and chemistry each on my freshman year, first semester, which I received B and C each. I have been working all over the world since graduating and now wanting to walk the medical path...

I understand my gpa is way too low at this point, as well as not have all the required courses under my belt. I am ready to study full-time, and I would love to have someone point me to the right direction... and I think I will need one if I were to have any chance at all - dare to think - going to the medical school @ US.

I was thinking of joining Rutgers NB or SUNY Stony Brook post premed course to fulfill the rest of the requirement, as well as retaking the bio/chem.. b/c I just don't remember anything from then (freshman year...). With my gpa barely missing under 3.0 requirement most of the other premeds require to join in the first place, I thought these two programs were sensible ones for me (also cost-effective.. and close to where I live).

At this point I am seeking your advice on which one to join, as well as your opinion on my chance of getting into a Med school (am I wasting my time?) and what to do if I were to have a chance at all, or anything else you might want to add.

I very appreciate your attention. You are also welcome to PM me...

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I joined SDN pretty recently, and I am amazed at the level of capable support between the members... was wondering if you could help me out getting things straight for me.

I am a 26 year old guy graduated from SUNY Binghamton at 2003... got 2.986 UGPA with major in philosophy. I've taken 1 semester of biology and chemistry each on my freshman year, first semester, which I received B and C each. I have been working all over the world since graduating and now wanting to walk the medical path...

I understand my gpa is way too low at this point, as well as not have all the required courses under my belt. I am ready to study full-time, and I would love to have someone point me to the right direction... and I think I will need one if I were to have any chance at all - dare to think - going to the medical school @ US.

I was thinking of joining Rutgers NB or SUNY Stony Brook post premed course to fulfill the rest of the requirement, as well as retaking the bio/chem.. b/c I just don't remember anything from then (freshman year...). With my gpa barely missing under 3.0 requirement most of the other premeds require to join in the first place, I thought these two programs were sensible ones for me (also cost-effective.. and close to where I live).

At this point I am seeking your advice on which one to join, as well as your opinion on my chance of getting into a Med school (am I wasting my time?) and what to do if I were to have a chance at all, or anything else you might want to add.

Thanks.

Reading through some of the post bac / SMP threads, these programs can be fairly competitive in and of themselves, and from everything I have been readin, a sub 3.0 GPA can be the kiss of death for admissions...I don't know anything about the programs you mention, but you should ask the admin at those schools about your situation, your prospects for admission, etc.

Some of these post bacs have admission cutoffs for GPA, and it is understandable because unless the applicant can elevate his UG GPA to the 3.3+ range, their chances for success in med school applications is nil...

Hello everyone,

Thanks.

Seems like a reasonable plan, although I am unfamiliar with these schools besides the fact that I recognize the names. You need to get your GPA up into the 3.3+ range and do very well on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Thanks.

I know with someone who graduated from your school, and your year who went to SGU for medical school in the carib. and now is an Internal Medicine Resident in NJ. I think the best, fastest and most reasonable option for your situation.

Hello everyone,

Thanks.

If I was in your situtation and planning to other bio/biochem courses, I don't think I'd waste my time repeating a general Bio course. Most/all of the important concepts for that class are rehashed again and again in other courses (without all the content related to plants, blah).

I agree with oncocap about your GPA and MCAT. Of course, you're going to ace the prereqs that you take from here on, so your GPA will come up.

There are also DO schools to consider. They seem to be open to non-traditionals with marginal stats.

I did my undergrad honors thesis in the "philospohy of physics," and walked away with a 2.7 GPA back in '92. I'm starting an EM residency in two months, so, yeah, it's possible.

As an older & wiser guy you should be able to smoke the other students in the prereq classes. Don't get cranked about the "official" postbacc programs. Heck, those sound perhaps a bit too intense. Consider a nearby university, where you can be compared to the usual undergrad rifraff. Sit up front and act interested, and you shouldn't have a problem getting LORs from the professors attesting to your academic mettle.

Take it easy.

I did my undergrad honors thesis in the "philospohy of physics," and walked away with a 2.7 GPA back in '92. I'm starting an EM residency in two months, so, yeah, it's possible.

As an older & wiser guy you should be able to smoke the other students in the prereq classes. Don't get cranked about the "official" postbacc programs. Heck, those sound perhaps a bit too intense. Consider a nearby university, where you can be compared to the usual undergrad rifraff. Sit up front and act interested, and you shouldn't have a problem getting LORs from the professors attesting to your academic mettle.

Take it easy.

Excellent advice. :thumbup:

Take it easy.

Really good advice. Plus, you should definately apply to DO schools!