Segueway advice needed...I don't know where to go but I can't stay here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjohnnym65

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an RRT at the end of my second year of post collegiate practice and I'm constantly wondering how and why I got myself into this. I went through undergrad as an Exercise Science/Pre-PT major at Indiana where in my foolish 18-22 year old mind the science of the perfect pour was always more intriguing than anything Newtonian mechanics, thermodynamics, or redox reactions had to offer. I was more or less the king of the B- with a few A's and C+s thrown in to get an undergrad GPA 2.96. I backed away from PT school because my admission probability at area programs was on par with the election prospects of a Republican San Francisco mayoral candidate.

After seeing an article in the local paper I shadowed an RT and enrolled in the B.S. program at IUPUI. At first I thought I had really lucked out; all of the responsibilities seemed so exciting: ventilator management, code blue responsibilities, ABG collection and analysis, intubations (if policy allows depending on the setting). However, by the end of my two years I found that my perception was in fact not the reality. I expected to see death and knew the pts would have very morbid prognoses; I did not anticipate how quickly the depressing setting along with the mind-numbing routine of giving neb after neb and checking vent after vent would wear on me.

So here I am, my whole "career" ahead of me and I'm already sick of it. I'm considering PA school because one of my beefs with RT is the fact that anytime I think a pt may benefit from a tx modality or a different mode of ventilation I have to call a Dr., beg for an order and inevitably get blown off. I also don't feel that the field challenges me clinically or forces me to think critically or independently. I like the idea of PA school but even though most of my prereqs are probably expired I'm still afraid that my marginal collegiate record may even overshadow a 4.0 performance this time around.
Does anyone know of a PA or PT school where quality patient care experience is highly valued and grades are not the only fulcrum on which one's candidacy teters? I'm new to this list and I hope to get to know many of you.

Regards,

Members don't see this ad.

Jengirl18 said:
Check out www.physicianassistant.net. It's THE website for questions like this. You will find a lot of information there. Good luck!
Work a year and I think you would be a great candidate! Especially if you present yourself as well as you did on this forum with the above post!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what has been said above. Work for one year. Maybe retake one of the "C"s and get a better grade. Some schools have a cut line of 3.00 and maybe won't even look at you at 2.96. Not sure about that one. However, when I was in PT school, there were plenty of examples of people to chose PT as a second career and were accepted without the magna cum laude resume. I agree with Lawguil, you did express yourself very clearly in your post. You should be able to get in somewhere as long as you are flexible.

Yeah, RT sucks. More and more people are realizing that. Good luck with whatever you pursue.