Where should I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhitecatBlackcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently PrePA and my science/prereq gpa is around 2.661 if I've calculated it correctly. Right now I am finishing up Orgo 2, Anatomy and Physiology 2, and plan on taking biochemistry and possibly genetics next year. I've already taken Bio 1 and 2 with labs, Gen chem 1 and 2 with labs, Microbiology, Anatomy &Phys 1, Psych, Soc, and Orgo 1 with lab. I thought about retaking the 2 classes I got C-s in but I've also been thinking about just pushing forward and trying to do better in upper level classes. But at this point I'm not sure if it will be possible to raise my science gpa up to a 3.0 by retaking or just pushing through. What do you think? I'm also graduating next year if that makes a difference. Also, if you know of any PA programs that look for upward trends let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the overall picture. The average gpa of a successful pa school applicant is quite high, and I think it’s safe to say they are around 3.6 these days as a generalization. For folks to get that average gpa, they have to have had quite a few courses where they are getting A’s. Most of their grades for the courses they take end up being A’s, A-‘s, B+’s.... and occasional B’s or B-‘s. Very rare will you see a C in there... and I’d say that most folks accepted don’t have C’s. PA school is very demanding as far as time and discipline, and those folks spend a ton of time in class only to go home and study more. They aren’t picking students with good grades as a reward to them for meeting an arbitrary threshold, they are choosing folks who they feel will succeed in a tough academic environment. When we talk of upward trends, we should ask ourselves what an upward trend demonstrates..... it demonstrates someone that didn’t figure things out for a while, and there’s still no way of knowing if they did figure it out like the folks who stayed steady and demonstrated quality throughout their academic career, the latter being a better bet for staying the course in PA school. Also keep in mind that a lot of what they cover in PA school is built upon a common foundation that those courses developed. If you haven’t mastered those concepts, you will be that much farther behind your peers that did master them. There is no reason someone should not have A’s or A-‘s in anat and phys 1 and 2, microbiology, sociology, and general psychology. You can live with B+’s or B’s in Organic, and general chem, and genetics. Biochemistry can be a C. That’s really all the leeway one can expect. Your typical successful PA applicant will be ok with that kind of profile, along with a great essay and decent extracurriculars and volunteer experience, as long as they apply to around 10 programs just to be safe. And even then, they really aren’t “safe”.

There are several ways I visualize the struggle to get into PA school, and these are a few: If you were a student with an average gpa of 3.2-3.3 applying at a program with 10 students trying for each seat, that puts you around the middle of the pack. So roughly 5 students below you, and 5 students above. In a hypothetical seat, the top person of the ten applicants gets the seat, essentially leaving four people ahead of you that also didn’t get picked. For the next seat, you don’t have to beat out the 5 students ahead of you again.... you are now facing the 5 students, PLUS the four ahead of you that didn’t make the cut for the last seat. Then after that, you have 5 new competitors, plus the 4, and then the other 4. It just keeps getting worse as you go. Think about how if 500 people are applying for 50 seats, 450 people go home without a seat at that school. If you are middle of the pack in that group, that still puts you roughly 175 back from the last person they picked. That’s IF you are in the middle of the pack, which is doubtful with a 2.6 gpa in either overall gpa or science gpa. A decent portion of folks that apply to PA school really don’t have any business applying due to their mediocre grades, but it is enough of a pain to apply to PA school that it cuts down on the posers (and I would guess that at least 70 percent of folks that apply are pretty serious candidates with gGPAs above 3.3). If someone isn’t in the top 10 percent of applicants, they really would have to win the lottery to gain a seat. Now, when the entire applicant pool nationwide is considered, and applicants are spread around to the multiple schools that they typically apply to, around half of the whole applicant pool ends up getting accepted, but that math is complicated by the fact that you aren’t going to apply to all programs out there in America.

So those are a bunch of mental exercises to help illustrate the dilemma of trying to get in to one of the more popular careers around, especially one where almost anyone can apply with a few extra prerequisites that folks can take as electives. Programs are really focused on recruiting folks that can handle the academic rigor of a fast paced program. Anyone that washes out before he end represents a lot of money that a program loses. If you flunk out in the first six months, they are out around $75,000 because of that empty seat (which is a ton of money when you consider that they nickle and dime every applicant at least $100 bucks just to apply, which for a typical program can bring in around $80,000 alone.... they want every penny). That’s almost an entire faculty members salary for a year. They can’t have folks flunk often at all. It’s nothing personal, it’s just math.

The best indicator of a students success isn’t upward trend, it’s past academic excellence. They get no brownie points for granting seats to folks that struggled in their previous academic careers, and in fact are essentially penalized for it several times over if that student fails.

So, long story short, you should seriously consider an alternate route, and think of PA school as a shot in the dark. I suggest that because college is expensive, and time wasted is expensive as well. But finish out strong with your degree and look at the possibility of going to an accelerated RN program, or look at podiatry school. I actually think podiatry is the most obtainable plan in your circumstances, and actually would give you a higher income potential than just about anything else available to you, even If you somehow became a PA. Podiatry is longer, and would be considerably more expensive, though. Pod schools take almost anyone. But by contrast, it’s still quite challenging to complete.

Folks need to change the way they look at the PA career. PA programs take someone with minimal to no health care experience, and turn them into medical providers after a year of class, and another year of clinical training in the field. In return, the career provides a very decent income potential on the level above that of other fields like professional engineers, accountants, and even most lawyers. It’s a fast paced program that is intense and rigorous, in addition to being widely sought after. Its sometimes convenient to have a biology degree because a lot of the core classes fit in to what PA schools build on, but if folks are wise about their undergraduate electives, someone can have a business degree and still manage to take the necessary prerequisites to get into all the PA programs out there. So having a biology degree in hand doesn’t give anyone a leg up over the geography major that took a prerequisite course every semester for four years. Guess who looks better on paper, the bio major that loaded up on hard courses and did mediocre, or the political science major who aced her prerequisites and has an interesting degree that helps her stand out from the pack? The latter demonstrates some diversity, the former look like most of the folks out there that wanted to be physicians, but saw PA as a consolation prize. But PA programs don’t want to be anyone’s consolation prize, and they don’t have to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response! As far as grades I actually got:
B in anatomy 1
A- in microbiology
A in Psychology
A in Sociology
C in Bio 1
B in Bio 2
My weak area happens to be chemistry. I got a very low grade in gen chem 1, retook it and got a B. A C- in gen chem 2 and a c- in orgo 1.
I'm still working on finishing anatomy and physiology 2 and orgo 2.

That's all not terrible. Would have been nice to get B+'s in your bios. I'm not a fan of chem either, but I found organic to be right up my alley vs general chem, which killed me. Either way, its really dragging you down.

Overall, you are in a tough spot to advise because you just don't come across as a strong student where it counts. The only A's you have are in non biological science courses, with the exception of the A- in micro, which is a course that pretty much anyone could get an A- in.

I think you could answer for yourself whether or not you think you can finish strong with A's in the rest of your courses, and then pick up a few more biology electives to ace. That's the minimum you'd have to do to have even a shot at competing, and you'd still be facing an uphill climb. Your weak spot is actually biological sciences, and chemistry is an anchor to you.

I struggled similar to you in some of those classes, but I took a heck of a lot of extra electives in biology that my university offered. Then I went to get another degree in Laboratory science, which provided me a ton of additional biology coursework, and helped my gpa quite a bit. But the anchor to me came from some poor marks in chemistry, and having a few biology classes early on that I struggled through, and really tripped up my goals. That was over 5 years ago. Things have only gotten more competitive. PA school really should be examined as if its like medical school rather than as a backup or a good place for folks who struggled. Its really not obtainable for folks without a B average and a good understanding of the material. Even with the extra effort I put into it, I didn't get many interviews.

My new words of wisdom is that if someone doesn't think they would fare very well applying to medical school shouldn't expect to land a seat in PA school. Its no longer the entry point for folks who spent years as a professional in another healthcare realm (unless they have excellent academic profiles). Back when I was an undergrad, the folks in my immediate surroundings that had their eye on PA school really had their acts together as far as grades... more so than almost all of the medical school or dental school aspirants among us (we al ended up taking the same classes for our respective path's). It wasn't until the economic crash of the 2008ish era that I saw folks talking about getting in to PA school that were business majors and not really focused. And most of those folks I met didn't get in because it was a flash in the pan idea they had. Its not that the material surrounding PA educations is hard, but overall, there are just too many bodies who want to get in to too few seats. Supply and demand mean that schools pick up the top prospects, and a handful of folks that they feel are interesting or diverse (and those folks still have compelling academic credentials). They aren't into elevating anyone who doesn't have the grades. I've met folks that think that because they can deal with people well, that that means they will fare better candidates than the bookworms, but frankly, bookworms have personality too. These days, I just can't see an avenue where a program is willing to overlook someone who scores well over someone who has a less than stellar paper trail.
A's are impressive, B's are expected, C's are red flags, and anything less is unacceptable.

In the boat you are in, I'd finish as strong as I could. I don't think you would be a good candidate for PA school upon graduation. I'd look at other options like an accelerated nursing program, or respiratory therapy, or maybe even radiological science. Podiatry would take you despite the grades, but while podiatry is easy to get into, I think that the material they cover could be challenging enough that you would have to hustle to master the material and not fail out.