Jul 15, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I've heard that medical schools would prefer you taking the AP class instead of self-studying it. Is there anything wrong with self-studying these subjects that aren't really the major science courses:
-AP Psych
-AP Stat
-AP European History
-AP Env. Science
-AP Comparative Government

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2009
California
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Med schools wouldn't care what you take in high school...unless you are planning to apply to BS/MD programs...are you?

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I'm not really sure why you would WANT to do all of that. Just to list more stuff on an application?

I would be weary of studying for all of that AND your normal course load. It would look good if you did well in school and got 5s on all of those tests. It wouldn't look so good if your GPA dropped and you got 3s.

EyEnStein 07

Senior ɸ Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
East Coast
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
nothing wrong with it...just very hard to do. hey its not your fault if your school doesnt offer the classes and you want to be knowledgeable.

New Vocab

10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I've heard that medical schools would prefer you taking the AP class instead of self-studying it. Is there anything wrong with self-studying these subjects that aren't really the major science courses:
-AP Psych
-AP Stat
-AP European History
-AP Env. Science
-AP Comparative Government
What's the point in taking AP courses again? Besides the fact that they're adequate preparation in terms of difficulty for med school?

Feb 15, 2010
Status
I was quite interested when I came across this this thread. I had no idea that you could self-study, but it makes sense for certain classes. At my school, people just take Stat and Environmental for an easy class.
I have a confusing situation on my hands. Next year(senior year), I'm taking AP Bio, AP Stat(my school doesn't have enough students for Calc BC), Spanish, English, Health/Econ, and AP Psych. I only have to take English and Health/Econ, though. I'm applying to some dual enrollment programs at local colleges. If I get in, I would have to drop some classes. Which classes can I drop and which can I self-study? My intended major is pre-pharmacy.

jvanewportnews

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Virginia
Status
Pre-Dental
I highly recommend self-studying AP Psychology if you actually choose one. It's mainly memorization and isn't partihcularly the most boring AP subject either. I have the Barron's AP Psychology book, and I feel it gives a thorough read of everything that you'd need for the test. It might take a few months, though because if you just fly through the whole thing to say you read it...the test might be a bit tough.^^

austinblnd

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I was quite interested when I came across this this thread. I had no idea that you could self-study, but it makes sense for certain classes. At my school, people just take Stat and Environmental for an easy class.
I have a confusing situation on my hands. Next year(senior year), I'm taking AP Bio, AP Stat(my school doesn't have enough students for Calc BC), Spanish, English, Health/Econ, and AP Psych. I only have to take English and Health/Econ, though. I'm applying to some dual enrollment programs at local colleges. If I get in, I would have to drop some classes. Which classes can I drop and which can I self-study? My intended major is pre-pharmacy.
I'm right with ya. Im taking all my schools AP classes but would like more because they only offer 6. Does anyone know where the recommended books for self study are listed, self study guides, and how to take a self study AP exam?