Studying for the MCAT?

Dr.J.D

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What subjects should one have mastered in order to attain a high score on the MCAT? Do you guys know any online resources one can study with? I know that KhanAcademy has alot of academic subjects, but I dont know if its in depth enough to prepare for the MCAT. Hope to hear from y'all soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Khan academy goes more in depth than what I needed (at least most of the videos except for P/S). I watched premed hq’s videos on youtube to get a quick foundation and then built my knowledge through EK + practice + online resources -> reddit, q banks, and I watched KA and other YT when I kept seeing high yield content.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Khan Academy is bae.
Khan academy goes more in depth than what I needed (at least most of the videos except for P/S). I watched premed hq’s videos on youtube to get a quick foundation and then built my knowledge through EK + practice + online resources -> reddit, q banks, and I watched KA and other YT when I kept seeing high yield content.
I'm still in HS lol, but I'm passionate about medicine, and have lots of free time this summer, and I've taken AP Bio, Chemistry, AP Psych, will take Physics next year ( Senior Year) , so I wanna get a head start. Can I use online resources to basically start self studying for pre-reqs and the MCAT?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I'm still in HS lol, but I'm passionate about medicine, and have lots of free time this summer, and I've taken AP Bio, Chemistry, AP Psych, will take Physics next year ( Senior Year) , so I wanna get a head start. Can I use online resources to basically start self studying for pre-reqs and the MCAT?
Not recommended.

Why? Its just a little light regurgitation of stuff I already learnt.
Do whatever you want, but it’s too early to worry about the MCAT and it isn’t likely to help. Go out and have some fun.

Random question about the MCAT,

Does anyone know if schools weigh different sections differently? I got a 130 in CP and 132 in Bio but in the high 120's for CARS and PSS. Or do they just care about the overall score?

Random question about the MCAT,

Does anyone know if schools weigh different sections differently? I got a 130 in CP and 132 in Bio but in the high 120's for CARS and PSS. Or do they just care about the overall score?
Schools want a balanced score. Yours is balanced. As long as none are greater than 4-5 points different your good.

Bro... just chill lol. You wanna be ready and energized when you start studying for the mcat, not burnt out. Your science courses in HS barely touch the depth you’ll learn in college. You need to take some upper div bio classes in undergrad to be really prepared.

It's good that you're thinking about this right now, because high school is the second-best time to start studying for the MCAT. (The best time, of course, is middle school, when your brain is less developed and more malleable—but better late than never, as they say!)

First of all, for MCAT purposes, gym and lunch are surprisingly high-yield. I would recommend eating the smiley-face fries and the sloppy joe sandwiches whenever they're served, and definitely try to beat 8 minutes on the mile run. Also, pay close attention during health class, especially the awkward parts that make the girls blush and giggle, because that stuff is going to be all over the MCAT. Take good notes during AP US history class, because I've heard that random trivia about Abraham Lincoln, Transcendentalism, and the Prohibition are all MCAT favorites.

That's all of the information that I've got for you at this point. Good luck with your MCAT prep!
Maybe if I had friends in high school, any type of social life in a brand new school, and/or plans to hang out with people... then I wouldnt be worrying about the MCAT:laugh::laugh::cryi:. Can i get a rip in the chat.

Do whatever you want, but it’s too early to worry about the MCAT and it isn’t likely to help. Go out and have some fun.
Yea you guys are probably right... the reason I want to study basically anything I can is because, whenever the school year starts, theres always these kids who are the valedictorian types who seem to know EVERYTHING beforehand, which makes me want to go beastmode and compete with those people. Especially considering they turn out to be the ones who get into top 30 Colleges.

Maybe if I had friends in high school, any type of social life in a brand new school, and/or plans to hang out with people... then I wouldnt be worrying about the MCAT:laugh::laugh::cryi:. Can i get a rip in the chat.
Join a club or a sport! Seriously you don’t need to worry about studying for the MCAT until summer of junior year of college. Most people take 3-4 months of studying. I took a little over 4 month studying part time around 10-25 hours per week and scored 94th percentile. Haha you do t need to start now to get a high score.

The only thing that you could/should be doing now to help your MCAT score is read. READ. READ. READ...and continue to read throughout college. It will help you tremendously on the CARS section if you are a good reader. This is the one section you can not just brush up on with 2-3 months of study. It takes years to become a good reader. It is the one section that people who take the MCAT have the most difficulty with. Read things that help you think critically and challenge you to think. Read things like The Atlantic, The New Yorker, The Wilson Quarterly, etc.

You're welcome.

The only thing that you could/should be doing now to help your MCAT score is read. READ. READ. READ...and continue to read throughout college. It will help you tremendously on the CARS section if you are a good reader. This is the one section you can not just brush up on with 2-3 months of study. It takes years to become a good reader. It is the one section that people who take the MCAT have the most difficulty with. Read things that help you think critically and challenge you to think. Read things like The Atlantic, The New Yorker, The Wilson Quarterly, etc.

You're welcome.
Will try to read couple articles a week now.

Will try to read couple articles a week now.
Good. Reading good books help too. Read anything you can to make you think and critically analyze what you read. Not necessary at all to be reading things medical or scientific. You just need to develop good reading skills and the best way to do that is to read.

Reactions: 2 users
Another reason why I was interested in this was because I didnt really go 100% in high school, still did pretty good but couldve been a beast. Therefore I want to go full out on anything that I do even if it doesnt end up being medicine. So bottom line, I should wait till I finish pre reqs, and if I do very well in those classes, and prep well I score score high on the MCAT?