Self-teach anatomy before matriculating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cockatiel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard from many med students that anatomy has one of the highest failure rates in med school. For this reason, does anyone recommend studying anatomy in the summer before school starts? If so, do you know of any good materials to use (computer software, books, distance learning, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been wondering the same thing. I know everyone says "relax before med school" but if we have extra time now, why not try to get an edge?

My thoughts exactly. A close friend who matriculated last year said it's the best thing to do. Also, at Michigan State, there's an early start Anatomy program in July and August before general instruction begins. The students claim it is very helpful, and in essence lessens their load during the regular semester/quarter. I figure it can only help. You can still relax before school starts and study Anatomy a few days a week. Check out anatomy software on amazon; I've found some pretty good deals! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
what about using grey's anatomy or netter's cards?

PlasticMan said:
what about using grey's anatomy or netter's cards?
I'm using Netter's cards right now but going at a snail pace. I go through a couple of cards a day during work :) .

What kind of materials do you suggest besides for those cards? :p

Studying ahead of time will nto give you an "edge". Even people who have had anatomy before have problems with medical school anatomy. Why? because they are getting use to medical school when they are taking a difficult course. You don't know how your medical school will present the material and studying unguided could cause you problems later on because you learned it wrong before school. I know people this happened to. You only need to know 70% of the material and that doesn't include where the heart is located. Those who fail are ones who either never figured out how to study the material, were not prepared for the intensity and amount of material, or just didn't realize quickly enough the medicine wasn't the place for them. Don't waste your time studying ahead, you may even start stressing yourself out to early.

I've been watching these lectures:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses/archive.php?seriesid=1906978238

Good professor.

Aclands DVD Atlas is also very well done, although some people find the instructor's voice an effective insomnia cure. :)

http://www.lww.com/product/?0-7817-4068-1

Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy is pretty much THE TEXTBOOK, if you want to just dive in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_1/104-5130689-2820706?_encoding=UTF8

I also like the Board Review Series Gross Anatomy for an outline view :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06...104-5130689-2820706?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I highly doubt it will make any difference if you get a head start now.

I'm a biochem major and purchased Lippincott's Biochemistry. In biochem 1 I did not go over it like I wanted to but promised myself I would go over it better during biochem 2 spring semester. I'm just familiarizing myself with the book with about 1 hour per week of study on relevant chapters.

One month before school starts I think I will go through Netters flashcards for about 15min/day.

Hoping to brush up on my foreign languages since I have a very easy final semester.

Well, an exception is if you do a postbacc program that requires you to take the anatomy class with the med school students. Exact same slides.

cockatiel said:
I have heard from many med students that anatomy has one of the highest failure rates in med school. For this reason, does anyone recommend studying anatomy in the summer before school starts? If so, do you know of any good materials to use (computer software, books, distance learning, etc.)?
I had anatomy before and it didn't help at all (a PA in my class affirmed this also). Medical school is for learning medical school-level anatomy. Don't worry about anatomy....its reputation for failure is totally unwarranted - especially on SDN. In addition, every medical school teaches anatomy in such a systematic manner that studying beforehand would likely be counterproductive. Being around the cadavers and finding the structures for yourself is really the only way to learn it well; again, that's what medical school is for. Enjoy your summer. :thumbup:

cockatiel said:

:thumbdown:

You'll be WASTING your time.

Take a vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)
so basically the medical students are against the idea...........................................................................just thought I would point that out

I agree that it would be a waste of time until you know how your professor will teach. Besides med school is mostly about memorizing and regurgitating (unfortunately) and maybe trying to understand some subjects like physio and biochem. What will memorizing structures 8 months before school really do for you? Belive me once you start you would have wished you were sitting on the beach 2 months before school started not sitting on Moore's clinically oriented! My opinion.

BMW-

cockatiel said:

cockatiel said:

I'm a 2nd year. I tried that before I went off to med school, don't bother, it did not prepare me for the reality of med. school anatomy. Enjoy your time before you start

Scottish Chap said:
In addition, every medical school teaches anatomy in such a systematic manner that studying beforehand would likely be counterproductive....Enjoy your summer.

To the OP: I don't think that trying to learn anatomy by yourself would be a productive endeavor. However, I don't think that learning a little bit about anything could ever be "counterproductive". Still, anatomy is pretty much "useless" without the lab where you get some "hands on" experience identifying structures. I'll agree that if you haven't already taken a college anatomy class by now, then trying to do it before the fall would also be pretty much useless. Learning it on your own would be a waste of time entirely. I am, however, one of those who would argue that a good college anatomy class is not a waste of time if it would count towards your degree. If you are a Biology major and will receive graduation credit for it, then go ahead and take it. I can't possibly see a reason why it would "likely be counterproductive". Learning anatomy is simple memorization. Everything you know now is one less thing that you have to learn later. You can't learn it the wrong way! But...it's a little to late for classes beginning the fall of 2006. Have fun instead!

Most of you are against idea of studying anatomy ahead of time. With that being said, are there any subjects you would recommend we study beforehand? If you could go back and study one subject before starting to make the work load easier in the fall, what would it be? Biochem? I have never taken a biochem course; would it be beneficial for me to study it before med school? I've already graduated, so I don't mind studying in my free time.

PlasticMan said:
Most of you are against idea of studying anatomy ahead of time. With that being said, are there any subjects you would recommend we study beforehand? If you could go back and study one subject before starting to make the work load easier in the fall, what would it be? Biochem? I have never taken a biochem course; would it be beneficial for me to study it before med school? I've already graduated, so I don't mind studying in my free time.

What's the point? It's not going to change your grades.

scpod said:
To the OP: I don't think that trying to learn anatomy by yourself would be a productive endeavor. However, I don't think that learning a little bit about anything could ever be "counterproductive". Still, anatomy is pretty much "useless" without the lab where you get some "hands on" experience identifying structures. I'll agree that if you haven't already taken a college anatomy class by now, then trying to do it before the fall would also be pretty much useless. Learning it on your own would be a waste of time entirely. I am, however, one of those who would argue that a good college anatomy class is not a waste of time if it would count towards your degree. If you are a Biology major and will receive graduation credit for it, then go ahead and take it. I can't possibly see a reason why it would "likely be counterproductive". Learning anatomy is simple memorization. Everything you know now is one less thing that you have to learn later. You can't learn it the wrong way! But...it's a little to late for classes beginning the fall of 2006. Have fun instead!
Knowledge for the sake of knowledge is one thing and I am all for that...but that's not what the OP was worried about. When you start school, you'll see what I mean....different medical school emphasize different aspects of a subject. You could spend your entire summer studying texts in a disjointed manner only to discover that your medical school classe (contrary to popular belief) may teach anatomy systematically and methodically, emphasizing clinical dosorders and function, rather than telling students to memorize every nerve, muscle, and piece of tissue. That's why I said counterproductive.

if you can get some of the old exams (get a big brother to hand them down, or if you can run to the school's library [if they store them there]) get the old hand outs a good atlas (photography ones help) then it would be useful. Take it from someone who has been there.

You will not only learn how the material is presented (sytematically with clinical correlations etc) but also the level of depth that you must know and how such professors formulate the questions. And that my friends to know in advance is worth gold!

You are most likely not going to be able to access any of the above...in that case just enjoy your summer :cool:

P.S. Which reminds me to go chase my big sis/big bros...

let your brain rest until school starts......you'll need it...

its also a lot easier to learn anatomy when you're in lab and can actually see how all the structures relate in a real person....

medhacker....when you start at pcom next year all of the back tests for every subject are available online through the student gov't website..

Taus said:
let your brain rest until school starts......you'll need it...

its also a lot easier to learn anatomy when you're in lab and can actually see how all the structures relate in a real person....

medhacker....when you start at pcom next year all of the back tests for every subject are available online through the student gov't website..

There goes my big selling out on me on national TV :scared:

hahaha just kidding!

True, that's what I am talking about. One thing is true, you DO NOT want to start medschool un-rested.

This topic has been exhausted in many other posts. The overwhelming consensus is don't study anything, regardless of what you've taken in undergrad. Studying anatomy b/f you start school is unnecessary and pointless. THERE IS NO CLASS THAT YOU SHOULD STUDY BEFORE ENTERING MED SCHOOL!!! You don't get "an edge" as what you might think. Don't think that "well maybe I'm different", and studying beforehand might prove beneficial for me. STOP THE INSANITY. PLEASE LISTEN TO THE MED STUDENTS!

Med schools were designed to teach you this stuff. They do a good job of it. Don't spend time trying to learn this crap on your own. Just wait until you start, and your instructors will guide you adequately on what and how to study.

You guys are so dedicated--I give it to you!! You are the kind of doc I want to have one day ;)

I just want to pass Orgo II, you hear me??

I'd give anything to take Anatomy over this Orgo class...

DisgruntledOT said:
You guys are so dedicated--I give it to you!! You are the kind of doc I want to have one day ;)

Orgo is a piece of cake. Anatomy is extremely difficult (med school--not college).

DisgruntledOT said:

Orgo is more abstract, and harder to learn that medical school anatomy. Stick with it and keep your goal in sight. Good luck!

Scottish Chap said:
Orgo is more abstract, and harder to learn that medical school anatomy. Stick with it and keep your goal in sight. Good luck!

You're kidding, right?

Memorize the reactions, and you've got orgo.

You can't even begin to compare some 3 hour undergrad class with the 7 hour monster that is gross anatomy.

OSUdoc08 said:
You're kidding, right?

Memorize the reactions, and you've got orgo.

You can't even begin to compare some 3 hour undergrad class with the 7 hour monster that is gross anatomy.
No. I'm quite serious. Medical school is not so bad. Don't be so melodramatic. If, like me, you have a roof over your head as well as food to eat and you are privileged to be studying medicine in a U.S. school, you don't have much to complain about..........

Scottish Chap said:
No. I'm quite serious. Medical school is not so bad. Don't be so melodramatic. If, like me, you have a roof over your head as well as food to eat and you are privileged to be studying medicine in a U.S. school, you don't have much to complain about..........

Delete.....

Scottish Chap said:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Scottish Chap said:

No, med school is easy, but I spent a helluva lot more time on gross anatomy than any course in college---especially ochem.

OSUdoc08 said:
No, med school is easy, but I spent a helluva lot more time on gross anatomy than any course in college---especially ochem.
Nobody said it was easy and I know you're kidding at best (or misleading people at worst) by saying that it is. A few people claim it's the worst, darkest experience of their life, a few claim it's just an expensive vacation but most, like me, find it somewhere in between.

Scottish Chap said:
Nobody said it was easy and I know you're kidding at best (or misleading people at worst) by saying that it is. A few people claim it's the worst, darkest experience of their life, a few claim it's just an expensive vacation but most, like me, find it somewhere in between.

I don't even go to class, and all I do is watch sports and drink. I still make A's & B's.

But either way, you can't say college ochem is harder than medical school anatomy. That is stupid.

I studied the night before exams in ochem and got an A.

cockatiel said:

Why don't we all just take it easy until we actually get to medical school?

OSUdoc08 said:
:thumbdown:

You'll be WASTING your time.

Take a vacation.

I second that. We will be spending the next four years studying, so why not take a breather and relax. It's well deserved.

OSUdoc08 said:

Oh my OSU, if we were all as smart as you...

I KNOW medical school anatomy is hard. But I have taken much more than just undergrad anatomy. I had graduate level gross for my professional degree. It wasn't med school--I know, I know, before you jump on me--but it wasn't a cake walk, either.

However, I still would rather take that than Orgo. We can't all be good at Orgo...

DisgruntledOT said:
Oh my OSU, if we were all as smart as you...

I KNOW medical school anatomy is hard. But I have taken much more than just undergrad anatomy. I had graduate level gross for my professional degree. It wasn't med school--I know, I know, before you jump on me--but it wasn't a cake walk, either.

However, I still would rather take that than Orgo. We can't all be good at Orgo...

I hated orgo., but that was mainly due to the fact that I had a horrible teacher who expected us to teach ourselves orgo.

in my opinion....... orgo=boring as $hit ....vs.... Anatomy=interesting and useful

that made anatomy much easier for me then orgo b/c I actually gave a $hit about it and wanted to learn it....to each his/her own...

Jamers said:
I hated orgo., but that was mainly due to the fact that I had a horrible teacher who expected us to teach ourselves orgo.

You will be expected to teach yourself most of anatomy. It is the language of the physician so it is definitely something worth learning well. I suggest that everyone just relax and enjoy their time before school, you will be learning medicine for the rest of your lives.

Nate said:
You will be expected to teach yourself most of anatomy. It is the language of the physician so it is definitely something worth learning well. I suggest that everyone just relax and enjoy their time before school, you will be learning medicine for the rest of your lives.

I like anatomy vs. I hate orgo. I would teach myself anatomy over orgo any day.

OSUdoc08 said:
I don't even go to class, and all I do is watch sports and drink. I still make A's & B's.

But either way, you can't say college ochem is harder than medical school anatomy. That is stupid.

Congrats on your dedication and your humility. Maybe you're a different kind of individual.

It certainly can't hurt to get a head start. For me, I think histo might have been more helpful to pre-study. But if you want to look at anatomy, start with the head and neck and then look at the pelvis. These are the hardest. The head and neck were absolute torture for me.

The problem is you don't know what your instructors are goingn to want you to know, i.e. what level of detail. You can drive yourself somewhat insane trying to learn *everything*.

OSUdoc08 said:

Maybe it depends on where you are taking both classes....but I would rather microslice my scrotum and soak it in gasoline than have to go through Organic again. Anatomy was just memorization and a time commitment (allbeit huge). Before you speculate about my opinions, you should know that I went to the school with the most hours of anatomy in the US...MD or DO and I was an engineer in my previous life so math, formulas, algorythms, chem are not foriegn concepts to me.

To the poor fools in Org....just remember that all that hard work is for nothing, it is absolutely useless to your career in medicine (except as a big chip in the admissions process)...quite a carrot to dangle eh? I used to study that crap at the cofee shop near University Hospital in Denver where all the staff would come in for their fix...few days would pass when an intern, attending, or resident wouldn't walk by and offer their condolances or a grumble when they saw my orgo book or notes. Good luck with that...

DON'T STUDY BEFORE SCHOOL. You are wasting your last moments before a long hard voyage.

I second the use of those Aukland videos...they were awesome to watch when I was absolutely burn't out..they are spendy so get a few buddies to go in on em and watch them together and make it a beer game. He also says things like duodenum and umbolicus funny. Michigan state website has some good videos too.

I can't remember if I said this before....DON"T PRESTUDY ANYTHING FOR MED SCHOOL.

mcandy said:
Maybe it depends on where you are taking both classes....but I would rather microslice my scrotum and soak it in gasoline than have to go through Organic again. Anatomy was just memorization and a time commitment (allbeit huge). Before you speculate about my opinions, you should know that I went to the school with the most hours of anatomy in the US...MD or DO and I was an engineer in my previous life so math, formulas, algorythms, chem are not foriegn concepts to me.

To the poor fools in Org....just remember that all that hard work is for nothing, it is absolutely useless to your career in medicine (except as a big chip in the admissions process)...quite a carrot to dangle eh? I used to study that crap at the cofee shop near University Hospital in Denver where all the staff would come in for their fix...few days would pass when an intern, attending, or resident wouldn't walk by and offer their condolances or a grumble when they saw my orgo book or notes. Good luck with that...

DON'T STUDY BEFORE SCHOOL. You are wasting your last moments before a long hard voyage.

I second the use of those Aukland videos...they were awesome to watch when I was absolutely burn't out..they are spendy so get a few buddies to go in on em and watch them together and make it a beer game. He also says things like duodenum and umbolicus funny. Michigan state website has some good videos too.

I can't remember if I said this before....DON"T PRESTUDY ANYTHING FOR MED SCHOOL.

Let's all go to the bar, or take a trip or take a trip to the bar, either way, lets save studying for medical school for when we are actually there! :horns: Take a walk, read a book or do anything aside from attempting to "prepare" for medical school. Sanity is a rare comidity in medical school, lets not use it up now before we are even there! :laugh: