Self-teaching: hear me out

• Thread starter Deleted member 737595
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 737595

Hi all,

This may sound over-ambitious but please keep an open mind. I am seriously considering taking the MCAT on June 30, 2018. I really need some advice FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE TAKEN IT AND HAVE SCORED WELL, or who coach those who do. @BerkReviewTeach let me know what you think also, since I would like to use BR materials to self teach.

Here are the pre-requisites that I have already taken:

-Gen Chem I and II
-Orgo I (NOT II)
-Physics I and II
-Bio I and II
-Psychology and Sociology

Pre-reqs not done yet:
-Orgo II
-Biochem
-(Genetics and Molecular Bio???)

So, two important classes that I have not taken yet. However, I am currently doing a full-time internship, 9 - 5 pm every day 5 days a week 40 hours a week, you get the idea. I will be starting classes in late Summer and Fall and applying 2019, obviously. I have the week before the exam completely free to study full time or take two or three exams or review more.

I have lots of steam to burn after work when I get home to my family (yes, I live with parents), and I find myself restless and with a lot of time. At minimum, I have 10 hours during the week and every Sat. or Sun. is mostly free. I am a very quick learner relative to my other pre-med friends and academically pretty confident in most of the pre-reqs. I can learn on my own.

Would it sound feasible to take on The Berkeley Review and AAMC materials for the next 4.5 months, first teaching myself the relevant Orgo 2 and Biochem 2 for the first month or month and a half while doing a little of everything else and then doing general review for the next two months, with FLs along the way, keeping and Holy schedule (no excuses for my study days)?

I scored a 2270 on the SAT (I know, they are not the same) with only 3 weeks of studying the SAT book from college board and am generally a good test taker. Also, I loved all of my pre-medical courses and am generally a "I love learning, i love school" kind of nerd.

My plan now is to trying learning most of the Biochem and Orgo 2 and take an FL to see how I do, and if its reasonable, to continue full on. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Dude you’ve had countless people tell you to take biochem. Either take the advice or dont. However, If you just came here to have people confirm the decision you already made, then you’re wasting your time because the decision you’ve made is a dumb one.
The truth is there’s people who have succeeded from both sides. Not EVERYONE’s advice is to take the class. I think the OP has a valid question. It’s not a question that’s only has one correct answer. I don’t think his decision is dumb, people manage to do it, and do very well on MCAT and application cycle. Again, OP’s question is not something outrageous like “do I need to I take bio to get into med school” or “do I pick DO or carribean.” I will also say this again, you can give advice but you can’t make someone take your advice, and you have no right to be mad at people who do not follow your advice. Especially in this case, your advice is not the only right answer.

Reactions: 1 user
No it isn’t the “only” advice but it’s the wisest advice and it isn’t even remotely close. That doesn’t even consider the fact that a number of schools require biochem as a pre-req with that number increasing every year.

No it isn’t the “only” advice but it’s the wisest advice and it isn’t even remotely close. That doesn’t even consider the fact that a number of schools require biochem as a pre-req with that number increasing every year.
What do you not understand about the fact that everyone is different and everyone learns differently? Some people learn more efficiently outside of a classroom setting and on their own. OP didn’t say he will never take Biochem. He just don’t plan on doing it before his MCAT. I learned Orgo and biochem on my own and guess what, I’m holding a T10 acceptance. I would NEVER tell someone else my way is the wisest just because it worked for me. Just offer your advice and what you did and let the person choose for themselves SHEESSH

Members don't see this ad :)
You're spinning yourself in circles. I guess we can agree to end this on the fact that we're all different and we're all special and OP "don't" plan on taking no biochem

You're spinning yourself in circles. I guess we can agree to end this on the fact that we're all different and we're all special and OP "don't" plan on taking no biochem
All I said is everyone have their preferred method of learning. This is why some med schools go to class and some watch lectures online. We both offered our own opinion and it’s evident that you can succeed from both. OP has a right to choose what his preferred method of learning is. Just leave him be and chillllllll

I literally said that on page one before you felt the need to start addressing me.

So what I will do IS take Biochem: but as an online class not-for-credit that covers the fundamentals. Any gaps I can fill with review material. In fact, looking at the syllabus for the class, a lot of the material I have seen before, just not in the same depth.

In the end, I WILL take Biochem, but on my own terms and as part of my MCAT prep. Did you think I was just going into the MCAT with no Biochem AT ALL?

You need it as a pre req for a growing number of schools so I don’t see why you wouldn’t just take it once for credit and kill the pre req/mcat knowledge with one stone. But again, you decide what’s best for you. Good luck

There is no way I am willing to accept that to get a good grasp of anything I need to pay $5000 through the nose to take an 'accredited university level course.' Almost anything can be learned by oneself, except for perhaps musical instrument technique or athletics.

Biochemistry is 25% of the Bio section of the MCAT. Gen Bio, which you talk about, is 65% of that section, so there is a difference there.

I never said the SAT would do anything for me, I was indicating the my test taking skills are decent to see if that mattered.
Biochemistry is becoming a prerequisite course at many medical schools, so this is really a moot point though? Just give yourself the best chance by taking biochem, before the mcat. As well as the best chance at ALL medical schools(don't rule yourself out of going to those that require biochem)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So what I will do IS take Biochem: but as an online class not-for-credit that covers the fundamentals. Any gaps I can fill with review material. In fact, looking at the syllabus for the class, a lot of the material I have seen before, just not in the same depth.

In the end, I WILL take Biochem, but on my own terms and as part of my MCAT prep. Did you think I was just going into the MCAT with no Biochem AT ALL?
Just do things best suited to you, most schools only recommend biochem and does not require it. Make sure you get MSAR and do the research and if they do require it, make sure you take it before you matriculate (you don’t need to take it before you apply). It’s not a big deal as some people make it out to be. There’s also no point in furthering this discussion as some people already made up their mind about the best way to approach MCAT.