Selling Myself in my MD Applications: Focused or Broad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RooflessMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Main Question: In application essays, is it better to present oneself as a candidate with a very clear focus, or to be a generalist with an undetermined focus that can fit in anywhere?

I ask, because I am considering presenting myself as a very focused candidate. My academic and work history has all been focused on psychology and neuroscience. My undergrad degree is psychology, I've got a master's in neurobiology with 3 years of laboratory experience and a couple of nice publications. Our laboratory studies basic properties of Basal Ganglia systems. I also work for a separate group to recruit patients with Parkinson's disease, which is a Basal Ganglia disease, for various academic studies.

Is it a slam dunk to then say that I will definitely specialize in neurology, continue to learn about Basal Ganglia diseases and push the boundaries of treatment for this category of diseases? Or, should I take a more general approach and say, look, this is what I've done so far, and it will make me a better doctor someday but really I am open to other possibilities?

Looking to formulate the very best strategy here! And to be honest, I do see myself becoming a neurologist.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should focus your essays based on your specific experiences, but apply it to medicine in general (ie: “that’s why I want to be a medical doctor” and not say “that’s why I want to be a neuropsychiatrist”). There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be a neurologist or psychiatrist early on at all, but remember that you are still very early in the process and demonstrating knowledge of patients and medicine in general is the first step. I also think that a lot of people feel strongly about their research, but research is just research. Admissions committees (and people in general) aren’t persuaded by research, they’re persuaded by people and their stories. So you gotta focus on yourself and get yourself out there.

I think a stronger angle is relating all those experiences with Parkinson’s patients to why you want to study medicine, what you’ve learned from working with them, seeing effects of biological processes you learn about in lab, etc. Relate all these things to your desire to practice medicine.

Reactions: 2 users