Sending a thank you note after interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyFire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just need a little advice. Is sending a thank you e-mail a week after your interview too late? I want to stress to the school that I loved visiting the campus and that it's the top choice but I don't want to come across like I'm sucking up for an acceptance ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I just need a little advice. Is sending a thank you e-mail a week after your interview too late? I want to stress to the school that I loved visiting the campus and that it's the top choice but I don't want to come across like I'm sucking up for an acceptance ;)

I don't think it's generally ever too late to say "thank you"; just try to specify who you were and thank them for their time. You can go on to state your impression and how the school may be right for you, but be very brief! Either way, it won't hurt your application.

just say thanks to them and try not to talk abt wanting to go there or how much u loved that place. It may work against u.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's generally ever too late to say "thank you"; just try to specify who you were and thank them for their time. You can go on to state your impression and how the school may be right for you, but be very brief! Either way, it won't hurt your application.

just say thanks to them and try not to talk abt wanting to go there or how much u loved that place. It may work against u.

I've done both, even at my top choice school. It worked out with an acceptance :thumbup:

If its the second week, I'll just mention ~"when I had a chance to met you last week" even if its Saturday the following week. I don't mention exactly what I like about it, but just that I'm hoping to pursue my dreams at ___

Honestly, why do people send thank you notes for interviews? They should be thanking you. I didnt send them for medical school, and i sure as **** didnt send them for residency.

I wouldn't overthink this. Its just a thank-you note.

I just wouldn't do it. They should already have been thankful of interviewing you and if they didn't a note isn't going to change their mind much. But hey, it can't hurt as long as you keep it simple and not making it look like a blatant suck-up. Still, it's not something you should think of much.

I interviewed at 3 schools and sent all my interviewers handwritten notes. They are taking time away from work to interview you and then provide an evaluation for the admissions committee. They at least deserve something for their efforts, even though it probably has no effect on your chances of getting in. It's the mature and professional thing to do. Don't just do it because you think it will help your application.

I just kept them short and simple, thanking them for their time and consideration and maybe including something that I enjoyed about the interview to help them remember me. I didn't try to resell myself to them in a paragraph.

I interviewed at 3 schools and sent all my interviewers handwritten notes. They are taking time away from work to interview you and then provide an evaluation for the admissions committee. They at least deserve something for their efforts, even though it probably has no effect on your chances of getting in. It's the mature and professional thing to do. Don't just do it because you think it will help your application.

I just kept them short and simple, thanking them for their time and consideration and maybe including something that I enjoyed about the interview to help them remember me. I didn't try to resell myself to them in a paragraph.

Completely agree. It is the right thing to do. Thanking them for their time and re-expressing your interest in the school can only help. It shows professionalism and desire to attend their school. The way I see it, you only get so many opportunities to sell yourself during the application process. Use this as an additional time to show your professionalism and to stick out from the rest of the applicant pool.

And as a side note, a family member of mine (a DO) volunteered on the interview committee at one of the DO schools and has notified the school when he receives a thank you note from an applicant he interviewed b/c he was impressed with the kind gesture. It can't hurt you to send a thank you note. Just don't beg for a seat in the medical school while writing it.

I have interviewed at 4 schools, the 2 i did not send letters i got into, the two i did send letters to i got waitlisted. These letters were nothing out of the ordinary just thanking them for their time and telling them im interested in their school and such but i just wanted to tell you all that i dont think that thank you letters help out at all....its just nice to send them, not to help your status

A 'thank you' note is good, in hand written form, but for the love of God don't send an email! Take the time to sit down and write it out.

No one is impressed by an email. But you know the feeling when you go to your mailbox and find a hand written letter from a friend? that's what you want to do for your interviewer

A 'thank you' note is good, in hand written form, but for the love of God don't send an email! Take the time to sit down and write it out.

No one is impressed by an email. But you know the feeling when you go to your mailbox and find a hand written letter from a friend? that's what you want to do for your interviewer

Meh, if you can't find an address, an email is fine. Like has been stated, it's just a thank you note. It shows you appreciate their time, but will almost certainly bear no weight in their decision. Handwritten is better, but an email still does the trick if need be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh, if you can't find an address, an email is fine. Like has been stated, it's just a thank you note.

I respectfully disagree. You can always find the address for your interviewer. Worse come to worse, mail the letter to the school with your interviewer's name at the top. That person will get it eventually.

I think perhaps younger generations are OK with emails, and I guess I'm not that old :) , but I really think the older crowd do appreciate a written letter more.

Around Christmas time, would you send an email 'thank you' card to your boss after he/she gave you a gift card, for example? I sure hope you wouldn't! If you get into the school of your choice, that would be the best 'gift' ever, right? That interviewer might have gone out on a limb to represent you at the admissions meetings. They put a lot of time into those committees. So just take 5 minutes to properly express your gratitude.

To the OP: I would strongly encourage you find the address of the school and send a real thank you letter. It takes hardly any time and shows a lot more 'thanks' on your part.

I respectfully disagree. You can always find the address for your interviewer. Worse come to worse, mail the letter to the school with your interviewer's name at the top. That person will get it eventually.

I think perhaps younger generations are OK with emails, and I guess I'm not that old :) , but I really think the older crowd do appreciate a written letter more.

Around Christmas time, would you send an email 'thank you' card to your boss after he/she gave you a gift card, for example? I sure hope you wouldn't! If you get into the school of your choice, that would be the best 'gift' ever, right? That interviewer might have gone out on a limb to represent you at the admissions meetings. They put a lot of time into those committees. So just take 5 minutes to properly express your gratitude.

To the OP: I would strongly encourage you find the address of the school and send a real thank you letter. It takes hardly any time and shows a lot more 'thanks' on your part.

Really? Half the time I didn't even know who my interviewers were. Some didn't even introduce themselves and I got rushed out before I could ask the name. I had a decision from those schools before they could even receive a letter. I am normally a fan of thank you notes but with this I honestly didn't care that much. Many of the schools require faculty to do it. It is just part of the gig. I didn't get a thank you note for all the time and money I spent flying out, driving, staying in hotels, etc. for their school. I got a small bottle of water and a soggy sandwich. My time was just as valuable and involved a lot larger commitment. I couldn't study for several major exams because of the traveling involved. I know it is just part of playing the game but the time commitment for many of these people is way overstated. One of my interviewers showed up late and didn't even seem to give a damn...I'm not thanking that. :p

My handwriting is so bad that a handwritten note would probably be illegible to begin with, but also look rather crappy. It takes more than 5 minutes to look up the address, get the stamps, get a thank you card, write out some trite little note, walk your arse to the mailbox and send it off. I personally HATE regular mail and handwritten crap. I just don't get the point. I don't want to spend time deciphering your handwriting. I rather read it and move on. I got thank you notes from students when I was a TA for stuff and it just felt like they were being a kiss *****.

I sent thank you emails to all of my interviewers. I got into all four schools that I applied to. There's nothing wrong with sending a thoughtful email.

Really? Half the time I didn't even know who my interviewers were. Some didn't even introduce themselves and I got rushed out before I could ask the name. I had a decision from those schools before they could even receive a letter.

lol OK well that sounds like you have some bad interviewers. Sorry to hear that. I was assuming that the OP wanted to write a letter because he/she felt the interviewer was nice. If you thought the person was great, then write a proper thank you letter. If the interview was an arse like you described, then don't do anything. That should go without saying

My time was just as valuable and involved a lot larger commitment.

Wow, I'm not sure what to say to this! I personally think it is an honor to be considered for admissions to a medical school, and worth the inconvenience. And I believe their time is much more precious then mine. Otherwise they would fly to me! :) Those interviewers have quite a bit of commitment being professors at medical schools...I'm not sure how an pre-med applicant could have more commitment than that.

I personally HATE regular mail and handwritten crap. I got thank you notes from students when I was a TA for stuff and it just felt like they were being a kiss *****.

If you write a thank you letter that is long and obviously trying to suck up, then it's crap. BUT a nice hand written note can be a really great thing.

When I was a TA I felt very touched when students wrote thank you notes after the class was finished. I'm looking at one right now in my office. Long story short, this person was in the army and had spent up to age 35 as a soldier. This person never really finished high school and decided to go back to school to get his BA. Let me read you what the card said:

"[my name]!!!

I just looked online and- I passed!! How the f*** did that happen?? I never understood any of the lecture. I thought I was going to fail espeically when I saw those damn clickers. The only reason I and the other old folks of the class made it is because of you. You rock man. I can't tell you how much I appreciated your review sessions. Good luck and kick ass on you applications to medical school"

It's barely legible as that peson has awful handwriting, and they were obiouvsly excited when they wrote it. But how cool is that card? It feels good to help someone, and this card is an acknowledgement of that. That's what thank you cards are for. I still feel good when I read it.

Anyway, the OP can do what he/she wants. Good luck!

Just promise no flowers!! :)

I don't understand why ppl feel so entitled? (can't find the right word) to an interview. Yeah, for some schools, you kind of expect to get an interview at depending on stats. Yes, it was a huge investment...I know all too well after 7 interviews 3 cross-country and 1 mid-way. But regardless, to me, it was always an honor. If it wasn't, I wasn't even impressed with their school at all and declined the interview (or didn't even do a secondary for).

They are taking an interest in YOU and giving you at least 30-50 min of their (mostly) undivided attention before, during, and after an interview. In this game, they are your gateway to medical school. If they said "he/she's a screwup", you can count that would hurt against your app. Yes, they could have been required to do it, etc, but hey...even if I hold the door open for the person behind me going into the library or getting my change at the grocery store, it's always a little nicer saying "Thanks".

I really can't understand why ppl have a hemorrhage over spending ~15 minutes max for thanking them. Yes, as much as I would LOVE to see the USPS (with some exceptions: packages) and fax machines disappear off the face of the earth and how I dislike trying to figure out "hmm...would this card be suitable?"...who cares? At the very least I might get some exercise racing our dog to the mailbox (~1/4 mile 25 deg uphill). :laugh:

Ditto for professor evaluations. They spent MONTHS educating you. The least you can do is write a full, honest feedback instead of just bubbling in your scantron evaluation sheet.

So send a brief thank you. Any form...handwritten is usually better, but email is fine. At worst, by sending a thank you, you might just make the world a little bit of a better place

(personally, DMU (Email x3 b/c of time), LECOM-E (0 x2...see my fback...), LECOM-B (H x2), AZCOM (H x3), PCOM (H x1), TCMC (H x2), NSUCOM (E? x2 b/c of address)). Accepted @ all.

Last edited:
Really? Half the time I didn't even know who my interviewers were. Some didn't even introduce themselves and I got rushed out before I could ask the name. I had a decision from those schools before they could even receive a letter. I am normally a fan of thank you notes but with this I honestly didn't care that much. Many of the schools require faculty to do it. It is just part of the gig. I didn't get a thank you note for all the time and money I spent flying out, driving, staying in hotels, etc. for their school. I got a small bottle of water and a soggy sandwich. My time was just as valuable and involved a lot larger commitment. I couldn't study for several major exams because of the traveling involved. I know it is just part of playing the game but the time commitment for many of these people is way overstated. One of my interviewers showed up late and didn't even seem to give a damn...I'm not thanking that. :p

One thing I liked about LECOM was that they actually DID thank you, and they give you an awesome gift bag (although it doesn't make up for the cost of travel obviously :D). They even got me the best room in the hotel I was staying in at no extra charge; it was great!!

I sent thank you emails to all three schools I interviewed at and got accepted to each one. *Shrug*

One thing I liked about LECOM was that they actually DID thank you, and they give you an awesome gift bag (although it doesn't make up for the cost of travel obviously :D). They even got me the best room in the hotel I was staying in at no extra charge; it was great!!

I sent thank you emails to all three schools I interviewed at and got accepted to each one. *Shrug*

What was in this giftbag you got? Is it the one they handed out at the interview with a millcreek community hospital bottle of water and a LECOM window sticker?

I never ended up sending LECOM a thank you letter cause I never got the chance. I interviewed on a monday, and the decided on my app by wednesday.

What was in this giftbag you got? Is it the one they handed out at the interview with a millcreek community hospital bottle of water and a LECOM window sticker?

I never ended up sending LECOM a thank you letter cause I never got the chance. I interviewed on a monday, and the decided on my app by wednesday.

If I remember correctly they give slippers, a little bottle of water, a bag of Chex Mix, a bag of Animal Crackers, and I think that's it. The slippers were really nice actually :)

Thanks so much for all the replies by the way! I really appreciate the advice.

I think if you wanted to stress that the school is your top choice, you have plenty of opportunities to do it at the interview. Really, really, REALLY blow the interview out of the water.

But as mentioned above, I highly doubt that a thank you note will make or break you. If acceptances worked that way, then I would have sent them a fruit basket and an expensive wine with some Wisconsin cheese. :laugh:

If I remember correctly they give slippers, a little bottle of water, a bag of Chex Mix, a bag of Animal Crackers, and I think that's it. The slippers were really nice actually :)

Oh yeahhhh thats right. I ended up giving the slippers to my mom, I don't like wearing them.

Yeah, it was something like that. They also threw in a bumper sticker, a pen, and a bandaid-holder thingy.

It was a pretty nice gesture. :)

For NSU I did NOT send a thank you note. (i had 3 interviewers)
For NYCOM i sent a quick e-mail thanking the interviewer.

Accepted to both.. I dont think it really matters.