Sending additional info to schools after secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an older applicant. My current career is as a teacher. Last week I was featured in an article in a pretty big newspaper in South Florida (Palm Beach Post). My question is, would that be something I should send to the medical schools to enhance my application?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody has an opinion on this?

dradams said:
Nobody has an opinion on this?
I would definetely do it if somebody would write an article about me. Especially if you'v alreay interviewed and yr application is being actively reviewed by adcom. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely send it in! It will help show more of you as a person, and it will remind them of what an asset you will be to their school.

i would actually scan the article in (with the date showing of course), convert it to pdf real quick and e-mail the schools the info and include the article as an attachment.

you can do the same thing and just mail it if you prefer.

either way, i definetly would. if my doctor had any/all the qualities of an amazing teacher complimented by medicla knowledge, i sure as hell would want to go see that doctor.

best of luck.

dradams said:
I am an older applicant. My current career is as a teacher. Last week I was featured in an article in a pretty big newspaper in South Florida (Palm Beach Post). My question is, would that be something I should send to the medical schools to enhance my application?

Thanks.

What was the article about? Was it something about what a great and fantastic teacher you are? Was it just that you are older and have made "sacrifices" to go back to school?
If it was about your character and such then I would send it in. If it is just about your struggles to go back and do medicine I wouldn't bother.

Good job on getting in the paper! :)

Definitely send it in! :D Adcoms are looking exactly for stuff like that to set you apart (IMHO).

You could combine it with a "Letter of Interest" (LOI) addressed to the Dean/Director of Admissions (or to the Admissions Committee) that says why you like the school, and updates them with new stuff about you that is not in your application, like the article or anything else you have done since submitting your app. That way, in the letter you could write about the article and include stuff that is not in the article, like specific things you did that resulted in whatever it was that got the article written about you. Specifically, in the letter you could detail how the things you did relate to being a doctor (like if you did independent study/effort to enhance your teaching methods, stuff like that). I would keep it to one typewritten page in a business letter kind of format so you look professional and what not, and so that it is quick to read because they will definitely put it in your file. And definitely include the article, preferably on a 8.5x11 paper (same reason as above). You could cut out the article and the paper's banner (maybe shrink that down on a copier), tape that all on a piece of paper, then photocopy it so that it looks nice. That sounds kind of ghetto, but maybe a Kinko's or something, or maybe even the newspaper, could help you quickly come up with something that looks good. Maybe you could even highlight the 3 or 4 best sentences in the article to make sure the adcom sees those. :idea:

Do a search on the Pre-Med forum for LOI for some good gouge on how to write one with the right language. This is a somewhat common part of the application process, so the Adcom will know what it is when they get it, you won't seem weird for sending in supplemental material, because in your case it is actually something pretty cool! I wouldn't worry about sending your LOI in terms of pre-interview/post-interview, as your info is relevant right now, and it might help you get an interview! (The timing of LOI's is a historical concern of applicants, and is most often used by people post-interview to help strengthen their file, or by people on a waitlist). In your case, you actually have something useful to send in, so timing is not an issue.

You can also PM me for info, as I have already search-mined the Forums for LOI info, and could cobble together something for you a lot faster than if you did the search yourself. :cool:

And for all you nay-sayer know-it-alls out there, when I say "LOI" here, I am talking about a "Letter of Interest," not a "Letter of Intent." :smuggrin: For those confused about the difference, search the forums for details, but quickly: Interest LOI says "I like your school because xxxxx, and I am a great applicant because xxxxxx;" Intent LOI says the same stuff but also says "If you accept me I will go to your school and will withdraw my applications from other schools." The Interest LOI is used to formally and clearly state your desire to go to the school in a way that will hopefully set you apart, and also add new material to your application to make you look better. The Intent LOI is used by people who hold acceptances elsewhere but are waitlisted at their first choice, or who are just waitlisted everywhere. It is supposed to play on the Adcoms dilemma of not wanting to accept people who will ultimately go somewhere else; they want to accept people who will matriculate so they can stop reading our damn files. :sleep: Be warned, some schools pay attention to LOI's, and some don't. Since you actually have something concrete to put in there, it should help you. It won't be some vacuous rambling with no substance. :scared:

Excuse my tone in this post if I sound like I am pretending to know what I am talking about, but really don't. :( Take my advice with a grain of salt; it is solely based on what I have learned by currently going through the application process myself, and by researching on SDN, and because I am also a career shifter (i.e., I have this naive idea that I know something about how the world works). Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for all of the opinions. And to answer the question concerning what the article is about: it is about me as a teacher (nothing to do with me being older and applying to med school).