Sending an Update? Timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sd328

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering whether I should send an update to schools about graduating (one semester early), new grades (increase my GPA a bit), and the job I'll be working until matriculation? For context, I have already sent an update about an accepted publication about 2 months ago (a bit premature looking back on it) and an LoR from my PI at a summer internship. There are ~10 schools I haven't heard from at all.

If I should send this update, when should I send it in January? I'm guessing not much gets read around the holidays but I don't want to send it too late after the last wave of rejections/interviews.

Happy holidays everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I sent an update very similar to what you have listed on January 1 to all the schools I hadn't heard from yet last year. Ended up getting 6 (I think?) interviews out of it. A well written letter can't hurt, in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent an update very similar to what you have listed on January 1 to all the schools I hadn't heard from yet last year. Ended up getting 6 (I think?) interviews out of it. A well written letter can't hurt, in my opinion.

Thank you! Sounds like it's worth it if you got 6 IIs out of it!

Of course. You think it'd be worth leaving some of the information off of it? Like, I was inducted into an honor society, but that's pretty much covered by my GPA. Or, getting a job as a van driver...