Sending in LORs before receiving secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

liposome

I have already asked 3 of my professors for strong LORs, and they have agreed. Problems:

1) I'm still waiting for secondaries since my AMCAS isn't even verified yet. And some schools screen the primary.

2) I'm not using a letter service so my professors will be sending out these letters on their own (with SASE envelopes supplied by me).

3) I am pretty sure that once I give them all the information they need about me, they will send out these LORs right away. And I don't think they'd appreciate it if I asked them to send letters all summer long.

So, should I wait until I received secondaries from all the schools, or have them send his/her respective letter out now?

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should consider the letter service. There are several advantages:

1. You won't have to pester your writer for several copies of the letter sent to several schools.
2. You have the freedom to choose when you send the letters that are already submitted thereby freeing yourself from the schedule of the recommender.
3. If, for some reason, you were not accepted this year, the letters can still be on file and ready to go next year. No need to ask writers again unless you want an updated letter.
4. No hassle with addressed envelopes/postage
5. You can be sure all your letters are sent at the same time and, therefore, aren't tracking three seperate letters to make sure they all have arrived.

If you are deadset on doing it manually, I don't have much advice. If you are interested in using a letter service, I can tell you more about my experience with Interfolio. PM if interested.

liposome said:
I have already asked 3 of my professors for strong LORs, and they have agreed. Problems:

1) I'm still waiting for secondaries since my AMCAS isn't even verified yet. And some schools screen the primary.

2) I'm not using a letter service so my professors will be sending out these letters on their own (with SASE envelopes supplied by me).

3) I am pretty sure that once I give them all the information they need about me, they will send out these LORs right away. And I don't think they'd appreciate it if I asked them to send letters all summer long.

So, should I wait until I received secondaries from all the schools, or have them send his/her respective letter out now?

What is the best way to go about sending LORs to all of the schools I am filling out secondaries (prob about 10 schools)? i really dont want to use that online service. is the only option to go to your professors each time you get a secondary and give them a pre-addressed envelope? This seems like to could be a hassle for the professors. What about giving them 10 blank envelopes and having them put the letters in there and then you fill out the envelopes as the secondaries come in. are there any suggestions or what some of you have done in the past?

liposome said: