sending in secondaries before AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools have their secondaries online and clearly indicate that they send secondaries to all AMCAS applicants.

My question is this, can I go ahead and send in those secondaries even though the school won't officially know that I'm applying there for a few weeks? The latest email from AMCAS states that it will probably be at least July 15th before they transmit the applications to any of the schools.

Has anybody done this before? Will they just return the app to sender or will they process it provided that I have enclosed the secondary application fee?

I'm applying to a fairly large number of schools, so it would really help if I could send in a few secondaries right now so they dont pile up as much later on.

Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that is such a great idea bc medical school offices are very busy now with the last year application. I asked a friend if I should do that. she works at a med school office. she said DONT!
I trust her very much and I think that you should hold on until they are ready for us.
dont worry the time will be soon. it will come and trust me you wont want to look at another 2nd application. so just enjoy your month.

I wouldn't advise turning in secondaries yet, mainly because I would be worried that if a file hasn't yet been established, since your AMCAS hasn't been received at this point, the schools aren't going to do anything with your secondary. At least you've already seen some of these secondaries -- you can already have the questions answered, the application started, etc., and then once you know your AMCAS application has successfully been transmitted to the schools, you will have these secondaries all ready to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
baylor21 ,
which schools are you applying to?

pimpMD,

The schools I am applying to:

UT Southwestern
UT San Antonio
UTMB Galveston
Texas Tech
UT Houston
Univ. Oklahoma
Baylor
Harvard HST
UIUC
Tulane
Johns Hopkins
St. Louis
Washington Univ.
Univ. of Washington
Univ. of Virginia
Penn
Univ. North Carolina
Yale
Dartmouth
Tufts
Loma Linda
Case Western
Georgetown
George Washington
Ohio State
Univ. Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt

Theres probably a few that I forgot that I cant remember off the top of my head, 31 total schools (including the 5 texas schools)

The texas schools have secondaries on their websites and they specifically said to submit the secondaries at the same time you submit the Texas common application.

As for the others, most of the secondaries that were online already were MD/PhD supplemental applications.

baylor21,
We have a 90% match.

I have some of the secondary from some of the schools on the list My friends gave me copies of them. I'll be happy to share with you the info.

We're in the same boat this year. Let's stick together and we'll get through this? maybe even end up at the same med school.

Let me know which school you want to get started on first and I'll look up the questions.

baylor21--don't know if you've already submitted your AMCAS app, but just a word of advice from an IL resident: it's not worth applying to the university of illinois med school system if you're not an IL resident! yes, it has the largest number of students of any med school in the country (about 300) but it is still extremely difficult for out-of-state residents to be accepted (<10%). i'm guessing you're a TX resident because of the high number of TX schools. so unless you're specifically interested in the MD/PhD program at UIUC (where you can get your PhD in anything you want--the only school in the country that doesn't restrict you to science fields, i believe), there really isn't anything special the school offers. the administration is a pain to deal with and most people i know there aren't that happy--if i have other options i'll probably go somewhere else....

Originally posted by sandflea:
•baylor21--don't know if you've already submitted your AMCAS app, but just a word of advice from an IL resident: it's not worth applying to the university of illinois med school system if you're not an IL resident! yes, it has the largest number of students of any med school in the country (about 300) but it is still extremely difficult for out-of-state residents to be accepted (<10%). i'm guessing you're a TX resident because of the high number of TX schools. so unless you're specifically interested in the MD/PhD program at UIUC (where you can get your PhD in anything you want--the only school in the country that doesn't restrict you to science fields, i believe), there really isn't anything special the school offers. the administration is a pain to deal with and most people i know there aren't that happy--if i have other options i'll probably go somewhere else....•

I am applying to the UIUC MD/PhD program, even though my chances of getting admitted may be low. If I end up having lots of choices for med school then I will take your advice into consideration.

Hopefully I will have the luxury of choosing a med school based on student happiness and the other factors you mentioned, which would be a factor if it came down to deciding between different places. Thanks for posting.

Originally posted by pimpMD:
•baylor21,
We have a 90% match.

I have some of the secondary from some of the schools on the list My friends gave me copies of them. I'll be happy to share with you the info.

We're in the same boat this year. Let's stick together and we'll get through this… maybe even end up at the same med school.

Let me know which school you want to get started on first and I'll look up the questions.•

pimpMD,

Thanks for the offer. If you have any of those listed above then sure I'd love to see what questions are on there. It doenst matter at this point which school it is, since I'm pretty much just waiting around doing nothing (as far as school applications goes) until the secondaries arrive.

I double checked with the ones that I have, and they are all MD/PhD program applications available on the web. Washington University and Yale both have online secondaries, but there was an error in accessing it so I'm guessing they havent activated it for next year's cycle yet. I emailed them to find out and will let you know.

baylor, are you applying only to the HST MD program at Harvard or to HST MD-PhD?

Originally posted by moo:
•baylor, are you applying only to the HST MD program at Harvard or to HST MD-PhD?•

I'm applying to the HST MD-PhD program, I forgot there was a separate HST only program.

I checked their website and they dont have online apps unfortunately so we'll just have to wait till they mail out secondaries (they send a secondary to everyone who applies)

baylor21,
cool. I'll get u the questions tonight when I get home from work. talk to ya later. :p

hey pimpmd, can you send me a list of what secondaries you have? PM me or email me. Thanks!

moo
i have a most of the ones listed above. what do you need?

baylor21

did you get my email? let me know.

pimpmd, here are the schools I'm applying to, all MD programs:

Albert Einstein
Boston U
Chicago Med School
Creighton
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
George Washington
Georgetwon
Harvard (HST and New Pathway)
Jefferson
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
Loma Linda
Mt. Sinai
New York Med College
Northwestern
Ohio State
Stanford
Tufts
U Penn
U Vermont
UCLA
U of Chicago
Wake Forest
Washington U
Yale
Columbia

Hey all, I would like to see what essays are being asked at some of these schools I am applying to. Would you be willing to share?

These are the ones:
Creighton
Northwestern
Ohio State
Tufts
UCLA
U of Chicago
Wake Forest

I would be happy to share with eveyone!
Im going out of town this week for 4th of July. So, there might be a little delay before I can help everyone. hang in there, have fun this weekend, and this week we can all stress over the seco applications :cool: