Sensitive question for MS3s and MS4s: Do you hate some of your classmates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean, RIME is a great theoretical system for resident evaluation. It's completely idiotic for med students.

Your rep as a resident is earned over the course of years through hours upon hours of observation. Your PD and advancement committee has a pretty good grasp on how you manage clinical situations and educate those particularly below you in the hierarchy like your junior residents through seeing you work for a long time.

As an M3 you get observed for a very short amount of time and you're barely there long enough on each rotation to figure out where the restrooms and printer are on the floors. The idea of "educate" is that one has such sufficient mastery of the material that they can share that mastery with others...particularly through learned experience. Sharing a ****ing journal for brownie suckup points is just a sign that your student evaluations are toxic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, the hilarious thing is that RIME was originally designed to track the development of residents. Incoming interns are expected to be Reporters and graduating seniors are supposed to be good Manager/beginner Educators.

It was actually designed for clerkship students and residents. The creator of it is faculty at my school, and I’ve had him as a preceptor. I’ve also read the original paper on it. In it, he says reporter is the minimum for passing as a clerkship student, while interpreter is where interns should be for passing.

Reactions: 1 user
It was actually designed for clerkship students and residents. The creator of it is faculty at my school, and I’ve had him as a preceptor. I’ve also read the original paper on it. In it, he says reporter is the minimum for passing as a clerkship student, while interpreter is where interns should be for passing.
Honestly all I remember was that Educator was for well trained graduating senior residents, and yet were expected to try and get it as MS3s on our first weeks of our first clerkship. Ridiculousness

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly all I remember was that Educator was for well trained graduating senior residents, and yet were expected to try and get it as MS3s on our first weeks of our first clerkship. Ridiculousness

Yeah that’s ridiculous. Passing for an M3 is reporter. Being at the level of a competent interpreter means you’re performing at the expectation of an intern who is passing.

Only time I ever got pissed off at classmates is when it affected me. If I found myself always doing the scutwork, etc while you were jerking off in the library (and not literally, hopefully), then I had problem. Otherwise I couldn't care less what my classmates were up to. I definitely cut corners but when it was time to work, it was time to work.

Are RIME scores reported in the MSPE at hopkins??

Nope. (Thank goodness).

We're unranked, but there are grade histograms appended to contextualize distribution of clinical grades.

So it’s unranked, but then there’s a graph showing relatively where your grades fall in the class?

Correct. The histograms are 5-year averages (just an example with totally arbitrary numbers: "for clerkship X, from 2015-2020 45% of students have received H, 45% get HP, and 10% get P"). There's no hidden superlative or numerical stratification and we have post-match AOA.

If a reviewer really wanted to, they could try and deduce what the "average" Hopkins grades are, but it wouldn't be wholly productive – the grading schemata are continually being in the process of being revamped, such that 5-year averages aren't wholly accurate for some clerkships. For example, 2 years ago over 2/3rds of students honoured our EM rotation. This is not the case with the past cohort, after implementing a stricter grading criteria and a NBME final exam. Conversely, the number of people honouring IM have apparently gone up in the past year too. :shrug: Could help you, could hurt you.

Last edited:
Correct. The histograms are 5-year averages (just an example with totally arbitrary numbers: "for clerkship X, from 2015-2020 45% of students have received H, 45% get HP, and 10% get P"). There's no hidden superlative or numerical stratification and we have post-match AOA.

If a reviewer really wanted to, they could try and deduce what the "average" Hopkins grades are, but it wouldn't be wholly productive – the grading schemata are continually being in the process of being revamped, such that 5-year averages aren't wholly accurate for some clerkships. For example, 2 years ago over 2/3rds of students honoured our EM rotation. This is not the case with the past cohort, after implementing a stricter grading criteria and a NBME final exam. Conversely, the number of people honouring IM have apparently gone up in the past year too. :shrug: Could help you, could hurt you.

That makes it even worse.

as with many other things, I feel like liking people is just another Bell-curve with 68% of tolerable people in the middle, and the high tail of people I like, with only 1-2 people I love, and the low tail with people I just would rather not have in my class, but I probably only really hate 1. But, that's not relevant to just M3-4, That has been my experience K-12 as well lmao