September 15 Seondary Submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

staruniverse45

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I was wondering how much of a difference a September 3rd vs 15 submission would make. Currently I am supposed to retake the MCAT on July 31, but I might need a bit more time to get my CARS score up and would be more comfortable taking it August 15. I am scoring 520+ with variability in CARS. I know these are practice exam scores, but i have genuinely made an effort to focus more on critical thinking this time instead of just memorization and feel like I have a higher probability of scoring high. I think taking it on the 15th decreases variability but I could still take it on the 31st. Issue is the Labor Day mark. I have strong writing, about a dozen pubs, strong volunteering and a coherent theme. ORM NY. Any advice would be really helpful so I can force myself to commit to a test day.
 
Welcome to the forums.

Why aren't you submitting your application now? Or are you just hesitant because you aren't sure your MCAT score will be strong?

If you are at all hesitant, delay your application until next year. Each application cycle costs about $2,500 on average. It's better to save your money until you have the best possible profile. No one should plan to be a reapplicant.

Many schools fill up their interview schedules by September. You would need to be absolutely outstanding with your in-state programs and some programs where you have already chatted before applying about your mission fit.
 
Welcome to the forums.

Why aren't you submitting your application now? Or are you just hesitant because you aren't sure your MCAT score will be strong?

If you are at all hesitant, delay your application until next year. Each application cycle costs about $2,500 on average. It's better to save your money until you have the best possible profile. No one should plan to be a reapplicant.

Many schools fill up their interview schedules by September. You would need to be absolutely outstanding with your in-state programs and some programs where you have already chatted before applying about your mission fit.
Sorry, I should have specified better. I think I have a strong app and can get the MCAT score I want. I have already submitted my primary. I was referring to submitting secondaries and what difference it makes in submitting at the beginning of September versus a couple days to a week after Labor Day. Basically, is submitting around Labor Day fine? Hopefully, this doesn't require delaying my app by a year. I'm not sure I have many gaps besides accumulating more hours and a MCAT score.
 
Sorry, I should have specified better. I think I have a strong app and can get the MCAT score I want. I have already submitted my primary. I was referring to submitting secondaries and what difference it makes in submitting at the beginning of September versus a couple days to a week after Labor Day. Basically, is submitting around Labor Day fine? Hopefully, this doesn't require delaying my app by a year. I'm not sure I have many gaps besides accumulating more hours and a MCAT score.

If we're talking AMCAS, the ideal goal is to submit secondaries within 2 weeks after receipt. Schools are well into their interview schedules in September.