september mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immanuel11421

immanuel11421
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever taken mcat in September and successfully gotten accepted into med school the next year?

Originally, I signed up to take for this August and I am aiming for 2010 admission.

But now really feel that I am not ready until September.

I am sure I will score better in September but will school even look at my application?

What's better, a lower score in August vs a higher score in September?

Any school not on rolling basis?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, it depends how big of a difference we're talking here. If we're saying a 29 in August vs. a 32 in September, do August. If we're saying 25 in August vs. 30 in September, do September.

People have definitely gotten in before with a late MCAT, but it's usually off waitlists. Still, you'll at least have a shot, and be set up very well for next year if you don't get in this year. Unfortunately, the only schools that aren't rolling are the super top-tiers (Harvard, Columbia, etc.)

Anyone ever taken mcat in September and successfully gotten accepted into med school the next year?

Originally, I signed up to take for this August and I am aiming for 2010 admission.

But now really feel that I am not ready until September.

I am sure I will score better in September but will school even look at my application?

What's better, a lower score in August vs a higher score in September?

You can do that. Anything for a better score. If fact, if you are even 60% sure that you will score better, then choose that course of action.

I personally think the mcat is the best thing that ever happened to the applicant, because the student can justify or make up for some error in other parts of their application. That is why it is so important that you focus on the highest score possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

As long as I know that my application will not go unseen if I apply in September.

Though I hate being on waistlist. It's an unknown.

But I am talking about Aug 25th vs Sep 3rd test date. It's only one week apart but one week can make a big difference.

Regarding school not on rolling basis, top school like Columbia has a October deadline for primary application where my NY state school like SUNY downstate has a late Dec deadline for primary application.
Does the later deadline mean anything at all for the state school or they already decided to ignore your application once they reach X # of student?

The rolling practice is not going to hurt your chances of getting accepted at a later date. Many students on the acceptance list drop off eventually for other med school of a better choice/preference.

Nope

No one has ever been accepted into medical school who took their MCAT in September.

Just make sure your application is complete, so as soon as the score comes in your good to go.