September MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2010premed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm planning to take the MCAT in September... Have people been successful in applying that late and getting in? Btw, I just graduated and I had a high GPA, so I don't know what I'll be doing in the time between now and med school yet.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm planning to take the MCAT in September... Have people been successful in applying that late and getting in? Btw, I just graduated and I had a high GPA, so I don't know what I'll be doing in the time between now and med school yet.
Thanks!

If you take the test in September, you will more than likely get it back the beginning of October... Applications open up in June... you'll be at least four months behind everyone else.

That is extremely late for this cycle. I would recommend waiting until next summer to apply. You can still take the MCAT in September if you wish, or hold off until January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me echo that having a complete AMCAS application in October of the application year is extremely late. Obviously, a 3.9 GPA and a MCAT score of 40+ may still get you interviews, but the average to slightly above average applicant will probably not get any interviews (possibly a couple depending on how broadly they apply). Most schools will have filled nearly all of their interview positions before you even receive your secondary applications.

I would recommend considering holding off until the next application cycle.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student (1 day to go)

IIRC, many med schools will not even consider a September MCAT for the current cycle.

Regardless, don't do it.

Let me echo that having a complete AMCAS application in October of the application year is extremely late. Obviously, a 3.9 GPA and a MCAT score of 40+ may still get you interviews, but the average to slightly above average applicant will probably not get any interviews (possibly a couple depending on how broadly they apply). Most schools will have filled nearly all of their interview positions before you even receive your secondary applications.

I whole-heartedly second this. A September MCAT with a complete application in October and a verified application who knows when is extremely late, and ill-advised.

OP, for a little more context: by the time your application is complete (and not even yet verified by AMCAS and sent to the schools), not only will most schools have already sent out most of their interview invites but the rolling schools will already be sending out ACCEPTANCES.

You can still take the MCAT in September, but apply next year, and make sure you're doing something medicine related with at least some of your time in the meantime (as applications will be asking what you've been doing if you've already graduated).