serious burn out issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerfree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So Monday is my Pharmacology final. I seriously burned out. I had a death in my immediate family about a year ago and since then I split cut back to half time student status (which was a hard decision because I find it difficult to ever cut back from anything without feeling like I'm quitting or somehow deficient). Even still, I found it difficult to manage my pharmacology course, though it has been my favorite subject along with phys. So this past Friday was the final for everyone else and I only needed a 48% to pass the course. I could have easily done that. However I have had trouble getting above 60's and 70's on many of my exams this year no matter how hard I study. Lets just say I've never been much of a memorizer but I've been getting a little better over the last 2 years. Anyways, although I could have easily passed the course this past friday, I asked the dean to give me an extra day (or rather until Monday) for the exam just so that for my personal satisfaction I could build my confidence before going home for the summer by shooting for the class average or above. The dean was very supportive and said that the bottom line is I have hardly been capable of bringing my A game to my studies because I am still very much grief stricken (and I have been stubborn and refused to get counseling). I completely burned out because I have been studying for almost 8 days now for pretty much all my waking hours except when I eat at school or surf the net every few hours for 10 minutes to give myself a mental break. My nights have become days and vice versa. All I do is keep reading and reading and nothing seems to be retained. I took this exam very personally because I said, "let me give my best effort, and at least demonstrate to myself that I have the capability of accomplishing a certain positive performance given that I have put in my best efforts." Now based on practice tests, I'm looking at 60s. My heart and spirit are broken. I have serious doubts about my ability to be effective in learning the science of medicine. I feel like 2 years of my life has been in vain. I have not become that much better at becoming a memorizer. My classmates seem to pass me by all the time. Now, what bothers me is the principle...I tried my best, and I still came up short. I am not upset because I didn't learn this material so well, as I am aware that long term through repeated clinical exposures I will learn what I need to. I am upset because I have serious doubts about my intellectual, scientific capability and my potential to be a good doctor, not just an average to below average doctor.

bottom line, I tried so hard, and now I'm doubting my potential altogether.

My questions...

Is my doubt unfounded? Did I just put myself on a fools errand?

Is it really that unreasonable to take preclinical exam shortcomings so personally, when you put in your best effort? What sense am I to make when my best is not good enough in these preclinical exams?

I just don't know what to think anymore.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

frustrated M2 MD student

Members don't see this ad.

You posting this in the right forum?

No one cares about preclinical grades as long as you passed/no repeats. Step I will count.

Its a test man, relax.

Duplicate thread in allo forum

Status
Not open for further replies.