Serious doubts about medical school..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd be careful with that statement, while what you say is somewhat true, I had a lot of questions that could only be answered if one listened to the lecturer (at the very least listen to the recordings). It becomes an even larger problem when 75% of the slides are nothing more than pictures and graphs...
I'm sure it's school specific. I only listen to lecture once on 2x to see if the prof says something along the lines of: "I won't test on the next 25 slides." Otherwise, all you need to get an A is to know the slides cold.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it's school specific. I only listen to lecture once on 2x to see if the prof says something along the lines of: "I won't test on the next 25 slides." Otherwise, all you need to get an A is to know the slides cold.

Yep exactly the point I am making. What works for certain schools, won't work for others. There is no way one could get an A in my school with only knowing the slides cold. At the same time what you are saying also goes back to my previous point. If you want to cut down material to study, listen to lecture.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep exactly the point I am making. What works for certain schools, won't work for others. There is no way one could get an A in my school with only knowing the slides cold. At the same time what you are saying also goes back to my previous point. If you want to cut down material to study, listen to lecture.

This worked well last year for M1 for the most part until path hit. Then every lecture (100-200 slides) was just a very cursory overview of what we needed to actually know which was every table, caption, and figure in Big Robbins. These pathologists purposely read through pathoma and baby Robbins to test details only found in Big Robbins it's obscene. Dr Puthoff (master mind behind this) actually reads every edition of Big Robbins and can cite stuff off by page number haha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This worked well last year for M1 for the most part until path hit. Then every lecture (100-200 slides) was just a very cursory overview of what we needed to actually know which was every table, caption, and figure in Big Robbins. These pathologists purposely read through pathoma and baby Robbins to test details only found in Big Robbins it's obscene. Dr Puthoff (master mind behind this) actually reads every edition of Big Robbins and can cite stuff off by page number haha.

Yeah... not looking forward to that if our professors are that nit picky about us reading the book. I could definitely see a couple of professors in my school pulling this kind of stunt.

Last edited:

Ah, yes, Dr. Puthoff --- when he was at TCOM he was known to take a detail off of an * in a figure at the bottom of the page and write a TQ on it. Devious schmuck but you'll look back on this time with pride, knowing that if you can survive, nay, excel in a Puthoff class, you can do anything and will walk without fear through your clinical rotations. I actually pulled a factoid out of my external anal sphincter on an IM round one day and startled both the attending and the PGY2 --- impressed the heck out of them --- to the point that they both started recruiting me for IM at their program and the attending told me I should apply for UTSW IM. It was great.....

And recall that Puthoff is an ex-SF shooter who ran a Mike force out of Nha Trang IIRC who then went back to med school and back into the Army and was the chief pathologist for 8th USAREUR --- knows his stuff and was also involved with the Branch Davidian autopsies, IIRC --- really cool guy but cuts no slack when it comes to his classes.

Also, word to the wise, -- don't try to challenge him or push it too hard when arguing a TQ -- you will lose. If he says he'll consider it, you've managed to get him to see your POV and he may or may not grant the point which is about the best you can hope for.

I forgot to add --- he actually reads the chapter of Robbins that he's covering before he covers it and then reads the tested subsection again prior to the exam review. His method of learning/reading Robbins actually works quite well if you are determined enough to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ah, yes, Dr. Puthoff --- when he was at TCOM he was known to take a detail off of an * in a figure at the bottom of the page and write a TQ on it. Devious schmuck but you'll look back on this time with pride, knowing that if you can survive, nay, excel in a Puthoff class, you can do anything and will walk without fear through your clinical rotations. I actually pulled a factoid out of my external anal sphincter on an IM round one day and startled both the attending and the PGY2 --- impressed the heck out of them --- to the point that they both started recruiting me for IM at their program and the attending told me I should apply for UTSW IM. It was great.....

And recall that Puthoff is an ex-SF shooter who ran a Mike force out of Nha Trang IIRC who then went back to med school and back into the Army and was the chief pathologist for 8th USAREUR --- knows his stuff and was also involved with the Branch Davidian autopsies, IIRC --- really cool guy but cuts no slack when it comes to his classes.

Also, word to the wise, -- don't try to challenge him or push it too hard when arguing a TQ -- you will lose. If he says he'll consider it, you've managed to get him to see your POV and he may or may not grant the point which is about the best you can hope for.

One time in the bathroom he started using the urinal right next to me, asked me how I felt the class was going, and looked at me for nearly the entire time he urinated. Super uncomfortable...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
One time in the bathroom he started using the urinal right next to me, asked me how I felt the class was going, and looked at me for nearly the entire he urinated. Super uncomfortable...

This makes me chuckle -- classic Puthoff....ask him about his take on dyspareunia --- one day he commented that while dyspareunia was a bad thing, it was better than no pareunia at all.....

Reactions: 1 user
I will personally study stuff off Pathoma instead of Robbins. I'm here to do well on Step 1.

I will personally study stuff off Pathoma instead of Robbins. I'm here to do well on Step 1.

I would have too but with out curriculum, you will fail pathology exams using just pathoma. Does knowing Robbins boost you from a 230-260? Probably not. But it does help scrap up a few extra points that aren't found in pathoma (NBME path writers also make sure to write some questions that aren't found in pathoma and that's just the nature of it unfortunately).

I would have too but with out curriculum, you will fail pathology exams using just pathoma. Does knowing Robbins boost you from a 230-260? Probably not. But it does help scrap up a few extra points that aren't found in pathoma (NBME path writers also make sure to write some questions that aren't found in pathoma and that's just the nature of it unfortunately).

I'll take my chances with those critical thinking quests through my test taking abilities. Def not going to kill myself further just to get an extra or two quests right.