Serious Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarbmonstaRX

Reaction score
I have been out of School since May 2019, unfortunately I did not apply to residency last cycle due to family situation and took retail job. But now that my family situation is better I really want to see if I can find a clinical position and I think residency would be best shot for it. My pharmacy school GPA is 3.6 and performed really well on rotations while maintaining leadership position in 2 orgs. I have research experience and also have a published abstract in AJPE. I reached out to my clinical preceptors for letter and they are wiling to write me a letter for residency.

I need serious help in how to go about writing a personal statement since I have been out of school since May and all of my colleagues who got residency were straight out of school so their statements are different from mine. I need guidance in how to approach personal statement and how would I add my retail experience to my CV. I know there are people who applied for residency year or 2 out of school but I personally do not know any. If anyone with experience with this could guide me in this process I would greatly appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been out of School since May 2019, unfortunately I did not apply to residency last cycle due to family situation and took retail job. But now that my family situation is better I really want to see if I can find a clinical position and I think residency would be best shot for it. My pharmacy school GPA is 3.6 and performed really well on rotations while maintaining leadership position in 2 orgs. I have research experience and also have a published abstract in AJPE. I reached out to my clinical preceptors for letter and they are wiling to write me a letter for residency.

I need serious help in how to go about writing a personal statement since I have been out of school since May and all of my colleagues who got residency were straight out of school so their statements are different from mine. I need guidance in how to approach personal statement and how would I add my retail experience to my CV. I know there are people who applied for residency year or 2 out of school but I personally do not know any. If anyone with experience with this could guide me in this process I would greatly appreciate your help.
Hi there,
I don't have the experience but I'm in your shoes right now, except that my GPA is not that high (is 3.2) and I graduated in 2018. Despite that I will give it a try and submit my PGY1 applications for this cycle. Be honest in your letter. In my letter of intent I've explained why I did not pursue a residency right after graduation and why I've decided to do it now. Use your work experience to your advantage - now you have the confindence you did not have when you were a student, your leadership and communications skills have improved since graduation etc. I also had my letter revised by writing services firm that specializes in writing/editing letter of intents and CVs for pharmacy residencies.
For your CV: being a community pharmacist is part of your work experience so put it under that section. Based on the recommendations, I also included sections with major(most significant) school/rotations presentations and projects. Of course, if you've ever presented at conference (e.g poster presentation) it is a big deal; therefore, it should have its own section so it can stand out on your CV, same for your publications.
Hope that helped a little. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi there,
I don't have the experience but I'm in your shoes right now, except that my GPA is not that high (is 3.2) and I graduated in 2018. Despite that I will give it a try and submit my PGY1 applications for this cycle. Be honest in your letter. In my letter of intent I've explained why I did not pursue a residency right after graduation and why I've decided to do it now. Use your work experience to your advantage - now you have the confindence you did not have when you were a student, your leadership and communications skills have improved since graduation etc. I also had my letter revised by writing services firm that specializes in writing/editing letter of intents and CVs for pharmacy residencies.
For your CV: being a community pharmacist is part of your work experience so put it under that section. Based on the recommendations, I also included sections with major(most significant) school/rotations presentations and projects. Of course, if you've ever presented at conference (e.g poster presentation) it is a big deal; therefore, it should have its own section so it can stand out on your CV, same for your publications.
Hope that helped a little. Good luck!
thanks a lot, that helps a lot. Had a question following that, where did you find a service that specializes in editing letter of intents and CV. i have been asking around for such service and had no luck in past.

thanks a lot, that helps a lot. Had a question following that, where did you find a service that specializes in editing letter of intents and CV. i have been asking around for such service and had no luck in past.

I used good old Google :)) and found multiple online services but I've decided to go with the following: Expert Graduate School Personal Statement Writing Service. Their services are not expensive (saw some online companies offering just a CV revision for Pharmacy Residency for $600!) and in my opinion they did a great job editing my letter.