Seriously, I don't mean to start a flame war. really. (DO vs MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noonday

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm just wondering, and soliciting info from others who applied to both, about something. i've interviewed at one of each, and noticed some striking differences that i didn't expect, and i want to know if this is just the particular schools or overall progamatic/idological differences...

the MD school was really, hm, best way to put this, paternalistic. seemed to treat the students like children and not adults. and the students themselves, as well as the other interviewees, were less interesting and more competitive. had less of an outside life, were more focused on grades, and the whole interview groups dynamic was one of people seeming to smile, but really try to psych out the other interviewees. lots of talk about stats, lots of flaunting of where else they have/will interview.

at the DO school, the school seemed to respect the students, and applicants, more as people and adults. the students had outside lives, and varied interests, and could talk about more than lab and class work (literature, music, etc.). the group of interviewees was really supportive of each other both in terms of that day and the whole process.

i fully acknowledge that i only have one of each to go by, and it could purely be a one school is different than another, DO or MD aside, and i'm seriously wondering from people who've interviewed at multiple of both whether it's a trend, or just chance.

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed both attitudes at different MD schools where I interviewed. I think it is school-specific.

noonday said:
i'm just wondering, and soliciting info from others who applied to both, about something. i've interviewed at one of each, and noticed some striking differences that i didn't expect, and i want to know if this is just the particular schools or overall progamatic/idological differences...

the MD school was really, hm, best way to put this, paternalistic. seemed to treat the students like children and not adults. and the students themselves, as well as the other interviewees, were less interesting and more competitive. had less of an outside life, were more focused on grades, and the whole interview groups dynamic was one of people seeming to smile, but really try to psych out the other interviewees. lots of talk about stats, lots of flaunting of where else they have/will interview.

at the DO school, the school seemed to respect the students, and applicants, more as people and adults. the students had outside lives, and varied interests, and could talk about more than lab and class work (literature, music, etc.). the group of interviewees was really supportive of each other both in terms of that day and the whole process.

i fully acknowledge that i only have one of each to go by, and it could purely be a one school is different than another, DO or MD aside, and i'm seriously wondering from people who've interviewed at multiple of both whether it's a trend, or just chance.

I don't know the specifics of your experiences, but from my experience I think it has a lot to do with geography. By any chance was your MD interview in NY? If so, then I know where you are coming from. I interviewed at two schools up there and, although I might burn some bridges with this comment, I thought the same thing.... everyone seemed a little superficial, young and petty. My my MD interviews on the west coast and midwest were more like your DO experiences though.

Members don't see this ad :)
star22 said:
I don't know the specifics of your experiences, but from my experience I think it has a lot to do with geography. By any chance was your MD interview in NY? If so, then I know where you are coming from. I interviewed at two schools up there and, although I might burn some bridges with this comment, I thought the same thing.... everyone seemed a little superficial, young and petty. My my MD interviews on the west coast and midwest were more like your DO experiences though.

actually, the MD was in the midwest and the DO was in NY (gives that one away...) hmmm.

anon-y-mouse said:
I noticed both attitudes at different MD schools where I interviewed. I think it is school-specific.

Truth.

This was my experience as well. My state school was very paternalistic, making it seem like I was super priviledged to be attending the interview.

Other schools I visited were much more student oriented. Since I have already disclosed this on a previous post, I will say that I felt like Loyola was especially student-centered.

I think it's really school specific. The MD students & interviewees were extremely friendly and more than happy to talk about anything regarding the school and their outside life at every MD school I was lucky enough to interview at. Your experience is why so many people consider the general atmosphere of the school they attend so important. But the atmosphere is really school specific and cannot be generalized into DOs or MDs.

I actually observed the opposite.
The allopathic shcool I interviewed at seemed like it had much more well rounded students, my interviewers were MUCH more friendly, and they pride themsleves on open friendly staff and non-cut throat students.

The osteo school I interview at seemed like they were tyring to appear much smarter than they are, and appeared very condescending.

I think it just depends on the particular school, regardless if it is MD or DO.

noonday said:

This was my EXACT experience , I have interviewed at 3 MD schools and 3 DO schools

I am a DO student and thought that it was mostly school specific during my interviews last year. 6 out of 7 of my DO interview experiences gave me the friendly/relaxed/supportive feeling. 3 out of 5 of my MD interviews days gave me the same positive experience as above, but 2 of my MD interview days had me wanting to run away from the number-whoring/type A's. So the school "feeling" seemed pretty much individual to each school. Just remember that there are exceptions to every rule...

ps. I know you didn't intend to start a flame war...but just give it time...any thread w/ DO and MD in the title eventually will turn ugly....

Taus said:
I am a DO student and thought that it was mostly school specific during my interviews last year. 6 out of 7 of my DO interview experiences gave me the friendly/relaxed/supportive feeling. 3 out of 5 of my MD interviews days gave me the same positive experience as above, but 2 of my MD interview days had me wanting to run away from the number-whoring/type A's. So the school "feeling" seemed pretty much individual to each school. Just remember that there are exceptions to every rule...

ps. I know you didn't intend to start a flame war...but just give it time...any thread w/ DO and MD in the title eventually will turn ugly....
It is amazing how different each school is from the next, and that is why it is important to interview, go to second looks, and really think about your next four years, more important than rankings. However, depending upon what you want for a residency, like it or not, it matters whether you go to a DO or MD school. Not always, but certainly a significant factor.

I've had two MD interviews and went to 2 DO interviews. I think it's a tough call. Different people react so differently to the stress of interview day, so it's hard to make a real judgement on their character overall.

I can say that at both MD and DO interviews, I was suprised at the high quality of the other applicants. Pleasantly suprised I should add. Maybe because I'm a non-trad, and a bit out of touch with the whole college scene, but it seems that you guys are a whole lot more mature than I was at 21 or 22 yo! lol So, hats off to that.

paradisedoc said:
It is amazing how different each school is from the next, and that is why it is important to interview, go to second looks, and really think about your next four years, more important than rankings. However, depending upon what you want for a residency, like it or not, it matters whether you go to a DO or MD school. Not always, but certainly a significant factor.

haha...lol...now the thread can officially get interesting...that didn't take too long...