Seriously scared, what are my chances for an MD school? Should I just go DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara215

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently graduated from college with a 3.35 overall and a 3.3 science gpa. I majored in Biology and Neuroscience. I took the MCAT twice score of 37 and my second time 38. (Just got my scores back). I am applying to many medical schools, but I will defer my admission by a year because I am being deployed to Angola to work with the local hospitals and educate children/young adults about HIV/AIDs for 2.5 years with the Peace Corps. I speak French, English, Hindi and Punjabi.

I started a Doctors Without Borders Club in my college (was president) and organized various donations to the organization - I am really passionate about medical humanitarianism- raised global health awareness and organized a speaker to come to my college and lecture about MSF.

I have a published paper about Alzheimer's Disease.

I have participated in a research internship for one summer- I was an in-vivo pharmacology intern and performed in-vivo research support as well as in-vitro support.

I shadowed a Geriatric Doctor (DO) for 40 hours, Pediatrician (MD) for 45 hours and a Neurologist (MD) for 30 hours.

If it's in my favor, I graduated from a prestigious small private school that is very well known for it's challenging science program.

I will be applying to low-tier medical schools (MD) and a few good DO programs. Do you think I have a chance for MD schools, or should I go straight for DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait... all that plus you have a 38 in hand? Yes, you're making the right call. Your GPA is pretty low for MD but I'd still go for both here.

Just curious, Why did you retake the MCAT if you already scored a 37?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should absolutely be applying MD. Your GPA is a shade low but your MCAT is awesome (confused with the retake though) and your extra curriculars are even better. I mean, you're doing the damn Peace Corps. Medical schools take candidates with 4.00 GPA so they can comfortably take people like you without having their precious stats drop. I would say apply liberally to MD and you'd be good to go.

i took the MCAT again because I felt like I could do better, I was taking practice tests and I was scoring a 40-41 and I thought that my score would be higher because the practice tests are harder...Also, I was told by a medical student that with my gpa i needed a 40 or higher to even be considered. So I freaked out and took it again, but it turns out that I didn't even need to..

you should apply MD. Sure your gpa is on the low side, but your mcat and exceptional EC's should be incredibly beneficial.

with your peace corps and doctors without borders ECs, along with the MCATs, I wouldn't apply to an osteopathic school unless that is something you actually want to pursue. Apply to allopathic schools if you want to have the options in terms of academic medicine and specialty residencies.

Hi,
I wanted to start doctors without borders at my school. How did you go about doing it?

The MCAT is really bad at sorting out scores above a 35. The difference between a 37 and a 40 could be as little as 3 questions.

She is either a troll or insane for retaking the MCAT with a 37. After all of the EC's she has racked paired with studying for the MCAT. You don't think this person took the time to look up averages for matriculating students into medical programs..or has talked to any other premed out there? Besides the GPA, the application is stellar in every respect which indicates this person knows very well what they are trying to do.

This is what I thought after seeing the op retook a 37. Sounds fishy because EVERYONE knows not to risk a 37 for 2-3 more points. I still dont believe that part....
OP, your stats are exactly like mine (3.3gpa/38Q/1 pub). I say go for it. Im freaking out a little too because of my gpa but hopefully the hard work on the mcat will pay off:thumbup:. Good Luck!!

This is what I thought after seeing the op retook a 37. Sounds fishy because EVERYONE knows not to risk a 37 for 2-3 more points. I still dont believe that part....
OP, your stats are exactly like mine (3.3gpa/38Q/1 pub). I say go for it. Im freaking out a little too because of my gpa but hopefully the hard work on the mcat will pay off:thumbup:. Good Luck!!

URM? Your chances are very good, even at top schools. Good luck.