Service obligation question

Started by zreagle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zreagle

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay I have a question for all you HPSPers currently in residency or out of residency:

Let's say I accept a three year Army HPSP scholarship, agreeing to complete three years of active duty following whatever military GME program I want/get in to. Then I finish med school and then enter a four year military GME program. How many years do I owe the Army on active duty? Is it three years as per my original agreement OR due to the fact that I was a military physician in training for four years do I owe four years of active duty work?

thanks in advance for your input!
 
When you enter your residency, the contract is changed....so 4 years if the residency is 4 years....meaning pgy 2 to 5....fygme is a freebie.
 
Whatever your contract, I think it is wise for you to more seriously consider not only the Active Duty Service Obligation, but the total obligation with the Reserve time included. Given the current PERSTEMPO it's becoming less likely that the IRR will remain just a shoebox full of names in the deepest recesses of the Pentagon basement. The current administration may not want to start a draft, but they already have authorization to dip into the IRR.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been told that you get one extra year. If you sign a 3 year deal, then you can take a four year residency without incuring extra time. If you take a 4 year deal, you can take a 5 year residency. If you take a 5 year residency on a three year scholarship you have to pay back the extra year. At least that is how it has been explained to me....several times.
 
texdrake said:
I have been told that you get one extra year. If you sign a 3 year deal, then you can take a four year residency without incuring extra time. If you take a 4 year deal, you can take a 5 year residency. If you take a 5 year residency on a three year scholarship you have to pay back the extra year. At least that is how it has been explained to me....several times.

That is correct, unless you get socked for a GMO tour. Also, we should all heed denali's advice and figure that we'll get pulled off of IRR to go to some exotic location.