Service Scholarships- Take it or Leave it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

too-sweet-phat-cool 4-life

Way too Sweet for you!!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a OK resident and I plan on going into FP or possibly ER. I like OK and don't mind practicing in a rural area for a few years. Can you give me some advice on wheather or not I should accept the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

The scolarship is worth 46,000 dollars and in return I would have to practice in a rural area (7,000 or under) for four years. I also have the option of accepting on a year to year basis. If you don't go to a rural area, you have to pay back 3X. You also have to go into peds,er,internal med, or FP. I am not worried about that part because I want to do either FP or ER. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Luke,

It sounds to me like it is something you were planning on doing anyway. If I were in your shoes, I would look at it as free money to do something you wanted to do.

There will of course be those on here that will counsel you to seriously think about restricting yourself to certain specialties. The way I see it is that if you find out that you really don't want to do those primary care specialties, then you can do your time and move on to what you want to do.

Bottom line is that if I were in your shoes, I would take it. Good luck.

Ben

Sounds like a good deal especially if there the committment is not for specific hospitals/clinics but just location. In this way you can find the specific setting that fits with your lifestyle.

Congratulations and good luck...

I'm a National Health Corps Scholar. You are limited to FP, IM, Peds, IM/Peds, Psych, OB/Gyn. You must do a residency in one of these areas then pay back year for year in a site YOU CAN DESIGNATE.

The trick is to get their underserved sites and contact those areas an set up your repaynment or create your own site within their critera.

If you do decide you want to go into a speciality like cardio,derm etc. You usually do IM (w/ derm they accept FP) residency first.

The only drawback is that after finishing IM residency you MUST do your payback then you can return for fellowship and then you have your subspecialty.

I see it as a win-win situation. You are saving $650,000 if you take a 4 year scholarship ($150,000 borrowed over 4 years plus interest and capitalization). It is a nice house!

BTW Congrats few are awarded this scholarship 8 applicants for each spot, which is tougher than med. school application.

Feel free to write to me about other questions
[email protected]