Setting myself up for application to medical school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grahambranchno9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As some of you may remember, I am a Junior who just decided to switch from a business track to a premedical track. I will be graduating (late!) with a BBA and the premed. prerequisites. Effectively, I'm a sophomore with 5 semesters left (including this one) and 2 summers. I currently have a cumulative 3.6 due to an awful first semester of college... so I anticipate graduating with a 3.8 or above, with a close to perfect BCPM. I'm also typically a good test taker.

I'm currently working 10hrs a week in an epidemiology lab studying colon cancer, but mostly doing grunt work. Hopefully will be afforded more responsibility in the coming months.

I volunteer 3hrs a week at the local ER.

I'm VP of our schools service organization, and am a member of a national fraternity.

I'm a member of our prehealth association.

This summer I plan on shadowing some doctors, and by the time I apply I will probably have 50-100hrs with 2-3 doctors. I'm still debating on what specialties to shadow, any advice?

In the last two years of college (at a different college) I have been a senator at large of student government, and heavily involved in math tutoring to both undergrads and 4th graders (volunteer).

I also pay my own tuition (aka I'm going to be in alot of debt). Can I mention this in my personal statement/application/interviews?

Does anybody have any further advice? How could I strengthen my position further?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

As some of you may remember, I am a Junior who just decided to switch from a business track to a premedical track. I will be graduating (late!) with a BBA and the premed. prerequisites. Effectively, I'm a sophomore with 5 semesters left (including this one) and 2 summers. I currently have a cumulative 3.6 due to an awful first semester of college... so I anticipate graduating with a 3.8 or above, with a close to perfect BCPM. I'm also typically a good test taker.

I'm currently working 10hrs a week in an epidemiology lab studying colon cancer, but mostly doing grunt work. Hopefully will be afforded more responsibility in the coming months.

I volunteer 3hrs a week at the local ER.

I'm VP of our schools service organization, and am a member of a national fraternity.

I'm a member of our prehealth association.

This summer I plan on shadowing some doctors, and by the time I apply I will probably have 50-100hrs with 2-3 doctors. I'm still debating on what specialties to shadow, any advice?

In the last two years of college (at a different college) I have been a senator at large of student government, and heavily involved in math tutoring to both undergrads and 4th graders (volunteer).

I also pay my own tuition (aka I'm going to be in alot of debt). Can I mention this in my personal statement/application/interviews?

Does anybody have any further advice? How could I strengthen my position further?

Thanks!

Umm... you sound like you have everything in place. Strengthen your chances by doing well on the MCAT.

i agree. grades...check. leadership......check. clinical exper.......check. research.....check. community service......check.

just keep your grades up the last 5 semesters, stay involved, and STUDY YOUR ASS OFF FOR THE MCAT. you'll be just fine.

I don't think you'll gain anything by mentioning your enormous debt in PS/secondaries/interviews. Save those spaces for more important things.